Link: How Football Stopped Being Fun

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
This post is laughable for so many reasons. The NFL has much more parity than college football. In the NFL, regardless of who the 2 teams are, either team has a chance to win. So even if the Patriots are playing the Browns or Jets there's a chance the Patriots could lose. If Alabama's playing one of the bottom teams in the FBS that team has no chance of winning. I like college football (slightly) more than the NFL but to act like there's no drama or intrigue IRT the NFL is disingenuous at worst and ignorance at best..
Yuppp. I think in general the exciting college games are better and more frequent than really exciting NFL games but the NFL's boring games are still way more exciting than boring college games. NFL is much more consistent week to week and game to game.

It's actually a little ironic that the fact that college teams are less talented than NFL teams makes the game more entertaining. NFL games have fewer insane plays simply because the talent and consistency is so much better than college.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
If the game was half as predictable as you suggest, Vegas would stop taking bets because they would be losing their shirts.
anybody that calls the NFL predictable and boring, did not watch last years Super Bowl. If you didn't just watch any Atlanta Falcons game this year, they will mention it about 150 times.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
A lot of what's being complained about in the article started in highschool and has trickled its way up to the NFL. The hurry up, no huddle spread offenses that began in HS is where a lot of this began. These offenses allow teams with less talent, smaller players to compete with more talented bigger teams . We saw it several years ago in college when kids coming out of HS thad never been in a huddle, under center or never had to read a defense. Consequently, you had offensive linemen who never had to block for longer than 1/2 a second and never learned the fundamentals of the game. Many colleges rather than having to reteach all these kids just decided to adopt the offenses these kids were used to. It was the easiest way and path of least resistance. It's basically taken over college football. You can probably count on ten fingers the number of D1/FBS football programs that don't run the HUNH or some version of it. Consequently quarterbacks never learn to truly "read" a defense and offensive linemen never learn to truly block. Now it's in the NFL and the quality of the game has suffered because of it.
This^^is absolutely positively 100% beyond question what has happened to football at all levels. I have been critical for years about the lack of teaching basic football fundamentals at the lower levels of organized football and is obvious now at the highest levels. The game is essentially trying to out-athlete the other team. Evidence of this is the back shoulder, throw it up for grabs 50/50 pass and OL holding on every play. Buz has absolutely nailed why this has happened, and why football has stopped being fun.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
This^^is absolutely positively 100% beyond question what has happened to football at all levels. I have been critical for years about the lack of teaching basic football fundamentals at the lower levels of organized football and is obvious now at the highest levels. Buz has absolutely nailed why this has happened, and why football has stopped being fun.
Not to change the sport but to continue this line of thinking. It's happening in baseball as well. You're now hearing D1 baseball coaches saying they have to teach things that should have already been taught at the little league level. Fundamentals are taking a backseat to $100/hour private hitting lessons for "Junior" so he can improve his launch angle, get backspin on the ball and hit homeruns. Never mind that he strikes out A LOT, is a horrible two strike hitter, can't accurately throw a ball across an infield, and makes a ton of fielding errors. As long as he hits bombs he's playing great baseball. I won't go into all the examples. But it's "trickled up" to the Majors as well. Players are striking out an alarming rate.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
Not to change the sport but to continue this line of thinking. It's happening in baseball as well. You're now hearing D1 baseball coaches saying they have to teach things that should have already been taught at the little league level. Fundamentals are taking a backseat to $100/hour private hitting lessons for "Junior" so he can improve his launch angle, get backspin on the ball and hit homeruns. Never mind that he strikes out A LOT, is a horrible two strike hitter, can't accurately throw a ball across an infield, and makes a ton of fielding errors. As long as he hits bombs he's playing great baseball. I won't go into all the examples. But it's "trickled up" to the Majors as well. Players are striking out an alarming rate.
I hate that style of baseball. Sammy Dunn, Vestavia's old baseball coach, used to make his players run laps if they hit a fly ball, even if it was a homerun. That reminds me of defensive players in football who are more interested in "blowing up" ball carriers instead of using proper technique and wrapping up.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
The NFL is always fun to watch but it can't even begin to compare with college football, at least it can't to me.
The emotion, the fans, the bands playing, the anticipation. College football is the greatest sport in the world and Bama is the king of that sport. I love them both, but gun to my head....college...not even close.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I wouldn't say the NFL is always fun to watch. In fact, for the last few seasons the only reasons I've sat down to watch an NFL game were to follow one or
more former Bama players or if I had skin in the game.

It's only slightly more watchable than NASCAR or golf.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.