JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Vanderbilt preview: Commodores sailing confidently after 3-0 start
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
September 19th, 2017 11:45 PM

By Jess Nicholas TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief Sept. 19, 2017 By now, everyone has seen the internet meme going around noting that Kentucky, Mississippi State and Vanderbilt are all 3-0 for the first time in more than 100 years. While a noteworthy happening, the real question – especially regarding Alabama this week – is whether the Commodores […]

Read More Here

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Thanks, Jess. I feel a little bit better about the game after reading your analysis. I still think it will be close until the late 3rd quarter or 4th.

Thank you, Jess. I wonder though, Alabama can really turn it on when they want to. They got up by 21 in a hurry last week and then after the half it ballooned to 41-10. They really were sleep walking at times, which is why this game has me more excited than the FSU, the Tallahassee version, this week. Vandy is hype and talking noise and the game itself is in Nashville. I wish I was going. I believe we see a focused Bama team this week. Love the write up! Roll Tide!

DrollTide

All-SEC
Oct 18, 2008
Hunts Patch
I drove through Nashville yesterday, listening to local sports radio. There is quite a bit of not-quite-verbalized optimism bordering on expectation about being able to win this game. I think they see just enough stuggles on defense, and just enough excitement about their own defense, that they feel they might be able to keep this game close enough to win.

I think Jess' analysis will be closer to the outcome.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Back in the old days (the 90s) before the SEC broke into two divisions, the Tide would always open up their SEC conference play with Vandy. Vandy would play the Tide close for about three quarters, and then the superior depth of the Tide would show itself and the Tide would pull away. As they were pulling away in the 4th quarter, Eli would always say "You know (Dougie Doo or Snake, whomever was his sidekick at the time), Vandy has a good team. They are going to win a lot of games this year". I always waited for this comment - to me it signified the start of the real football season.

I'm hoping that this weekend's game follows the old script, with a win for the Tide and Eli's classic 4th quarter comment. It will be like old times for me.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Good stuff as always.

20 point win against this Vandy team ain't bad. I am a little surprised two D categories got the nod in Vandy's favor though. Never thought I would see that.

Anyways, hope we get a big win this weekend. RTR!!!

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Good stuff as always.

20 point win against this Vandy team ain't bad. I am a little surprised two D categories got the nod in Vandy's favor though. Never thought I would see that.

Anyways, hope we get a big win this weekend. RTR!!!
It's always tough around Week 3-4 to figure out what everyone has. On the other hand you can't ignore numbers, especially what their OLBs have been able to do in rushing the passer. Alabama can point to Vandy's schedule -- particularly the Alabama A&M game -- and say it's weak, but on the other hand, Bama didn't get it done up front against either Fresno State or Colorado State, and Fresno in particular isn't going to be a tough out for many people.

I think the two schedules are closer than most believe, up to this point. Obviously FSU has a clear edge in athleticism over Kansas State, but KSU is better coached (yes, I went there) and plays more technically sound football than FSU.

Where Alabama has to have success is stopping the Vandy run game, just like everyone else has managed to do. If Vandy does what Colorado State managed to do, though, it's going to be a tough one.

Tucker13

Feb 13, 2017
Jess hands down you have the best team reviews anywhere on the internet. Thanks another suberb analogy. Here is hoping your prediction holds.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011
Well, it is the fourth, and they are talking about Vandy being a good team, but we started pulling away much earlier than anyone predicted.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.