Link: Eddie Lacy ESPN article regarding his struggle with his weight.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I would say that the very fact that the tweets are affecting him indicates that his attention is divided.

Are you saying he should focus on Internet criticism as opposed to putting that energy into being the best he's can be? If so, maybe Saban should distribute newspapers every day in place of team meetings.
Nice strawman. I haven't stated anything outside of my belief that turning in a good performance will help quell any naysayers.

All you've really said is that he should work hard because they are paying him a large sum of money... and I'm not disagreeing with that fact, but Eddie is already tangibly doing that, as evidenced by hitting his target weight. Any speculation about how talking about the criticisms directed his way may be affecting him is just that, speculation. So it would seem we are going around in circles.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
To RTR91's point, if you go back and look at Eddie's physical appearance during the Notre Dame game it's a stark difference to how he looks now. To B1GTide's point, Eddie was probably ~225 lbs during that game and that's really his optimal playing weight. It's a shame he hasn't been able to stay in peak physical condition because I think he could've been one of the great RBs of the current generation. If he's being deactivated on a regular basis from Seattle's 53 man roster his NFL days are likely numbered..

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
Look, I know EL is at the target weight and all that, and that's great. But that doesn't change the fact that he signed a $4.5M contract with Seattle...and he was healthy scratch in the last game. Something is still not right or he would be playing, period.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Look, I know EL is at the target weight and all that, and that's great. But that doesn't change the fact that he signed a $4.5M contract with Seattle...and he was healthy scratch in the last game. Something is still not right or he would be playing, period.
It's a simple case of being out performed by a player at a significantly lower pay rate. Seattle has a rookie running (Carson) who had 100 total yards on 21 touches against the 49ers. If Carson keeps up that kind of production I doubt we see much more of Lacy in Seattle. They probably have Carson locked up for the next 3-4 years for what they're paying Lacy for just this year..

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I think you're missing the fact that he's human. He's not a machine absent of feelings, emotions, flaws and failures. Most people like to say "I don't care what people think about me", "What they say doesn't bother me" etc. But the longer I live the more I realize there are very, very few people who make that claim and it actually be true. The reality is most of us do care what others think and say about us. I would venture to say if you knew there were photoshopped pics of you going viral on the internet with your real name attached to them. It would have some emotional and mental impact on you. Telling him to live in a vacuum is easier said than done. Even if that is the right thing to do in his situation.
I would say, if there is someone who truly doesn't care at all what others think about them, that person is probably some sort of sociopath. Doesn't mean you worry about what other people think all the time, just means you care.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Some people seem to think an early exit from playing pro ball is a negative. Ask some oldtimer pro players who are having their memory and good health evaporate after a long "successful" football career.

I see it a little differently. I think a player does well to sign with the pros and makes a very nice check doing so. A successful pro career, in my opinion, is one where a smart money manager invests his pro money and walks away after a few years with a very nice nest egg and his health still intact.

Edit: Case in point:

Here in Decatur, Benny Perrin recently killed himself...it was commonly understood he had gotten a really bad prognosis for the brain injuries he suffered playing ball.

Last edited:

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
It's a simple case of being out performed by a player at a significantly lower pay rate. Seattle has a rookie running (Carson) who had 100 total yards on 21 touches against the 49ers. If Carson keeps up that kind of production I doubt we see much more of Lacy in Seattle. They probably have Carson locked up for the next 3-4 years for what they're paying Lacy for just this year..
Agreed, but that's a big if. Carson played 1 game. EL was offensive rookie of the year and has put up consistently big numbers when he's been healthy and his weight & mind have been right. If EL is squared away, he's proven he can put up the production and Seattle is paying him this year anyway. Why put miles and wear on the rookie? Just further makes me think something's not right with EL. But whatever the cause, I absolutely agree they'll play someone who will give them the production if they're convinced EL cannot (or will not).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Some people seem to think an early exit from playing pro ball is a negative. Ask some oldtimer pro players who are having their memory and good health evaporate after a long "successful" football career.

I see it a little differently. I think a player does well to sign with the pros and makes a very nice check doing so. A successful pro career, in my opinion, is one where a smart money manager invests his pro money and walks away after a few years with a very nice nest egg and his health still intact.

Edit: Case in point:

Here in Decatur, Benny Perrin recently killed himself...it was commonly understood he had gotten a really bad prognosis for the brain injuries he suffered playing ball.
I agree, which is why I was glad that my boys never even played the sport. But everyone wants to leave their vocation, whatever that might be, on their own terms. I was discussing the possibility of Lacy losing his place in the league due to his eating habits, not because he is ready to walk away.

And if he walks away from football with this problem with food now, what will he look like in 10 years? I see serious obesity in his future if he loses this battle.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I agree, which is why I was glad that my boys never even played the sport. But everyone wants to leave their vocation, whatever that might be, on their own terms. I was discussing the possibility of Lacy losing his place in the league due to his eating habits, not because he is ready to walk away.

And if he walks away from football with this problem with food now, what will he look like in 10 years? I see serious obesity in his future if he loses this battle.
If it can't be solved permanently now (Lacy understanding what he needs to do to control it) it will almost certainly spiral out of control. Wouldn't be surprised to see a heavy set 50 year old Lacy but hoping most of his adult life is spent at a healthy weight - football or not.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If it can't be solved permanently now (Lacy understanding what he needs to do to control it) it will almost certainly spiral out of control. Wouldn't be surprised to see a heavy set 50 year old Lacy but hoping most of his adult life is spent at a healthy weight - football or not.
If he leaves the game and settles in at 250-260 he will be fine. The dude made his money....happy for him. He may have lost the fire to keep playing. He may feel the pressure to keep the fire burning, but not enough to still want it at a level necessary.

Just be happy Eddie. You don't have anything to prove....

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If he leaves the game and settles in at 250-260 he will be fine. The dude made his money....happy for him. He may have lost the fire to keep playing. He may feel the pressure to keep the fire burning, but not enough to still want it at a level necessary.

Just be happy Eddie. You don't have anything to prove....
Not a fan of any of his NFL teams, so agree that I would be happier if he just decided to walk away from the game now, while he still can. But if you believe that he will maintain a 250-260 weight after football, you haven't been paying attention. He was shocked to find himself at 267 when he weighed in for Seattle for the first time. The 267 number isn't the problem - the shock over the number is the problem. I can't see it stopping below 300 lbs after he stops working out as a professional athlete. And a 300 lb person at his height is morbidly obese and going to die young.

Food kills more people than every drug combined.

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
Eddie was guaranteed 2.865 million under his contract.

Maybe it's time to hang up the spurs. Bank the money. Go sell insurance for 40 years.

Golf in the mornings. Chinese for lunch.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Eddie was guaranteed 2.865 million under his contract.

Maybe it's time to hang up the spurs. Bank the money. Go sell insurance for 40 years.

Golf in the mornings. Chinese for lunch.
You realize he probably only nets roughly $1.5M of that. Not exactly life changing retirement money..

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
You realize he probably only nets roughly $1.5M of that. Not exactly life changing retirement money..
It's not enough to retire on with Eddie in his twenties, but it certainly would make for a nice safety net when he's thru with football and looking for another career.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It's not enough to retire on with Eddie in his twenties, but it certainly would make for a nice safety net when he's thru with football and looking for another career.
No doubt about it. It's a great head start in life as long as he's managed his money well and has a plan for after football. It's just funny that most people think what's reported on ESPN or wherever about a players contract is how much they actually take home. Not even close especially with the NFL where contracts aren't guaranteed..

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Are you blind or are you intentionally ignoring the portion where I said, he said, and the writer said that he's already at his goal weight for the team?

What work? He's there. He did the work. Who are you tough loving? He just needs to have a good game. Your still stuck on "LoOSe da wate FATTY!" while Eddie has diligently done that.
To date Eddie has only had one down season statistically in his career due to weight - he's proven that he can run the ball well so the only work left to be done is for him to get fed and run behind a decent O-line.
That guy got me so mad that I got myself suspended. You can make a true and common sense point all you want and he just doesn't get it.
I'd simply look over his posts.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.