BLM protests ongoing in St. Louis...meanwhile, 144 murders committed all by blacks

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
While I have great appreciation for your success and the hard work you built upon the foundation of hard work your preceding generations did to help you climb out of poverty, I suspect you overlook some of the advantages you were blessed with that other may not enjoy... So when someone like you or Bodhisattva climb out of the pit, it's easy to assume others with the desire and ambition can do the same.
Fortunately, not all of us who climb out of the pit leave with the same assumptions. I have tremendous appreciation for the work you and your wife are doing, and I appreciate the perspective you bring to these discussions.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
We have established that able-bodied adults are able to take care of their own responsibilities if they so choose. In spite of this, we have transferred trillions of dollars of wealth to poor communities. I do not see much honor in having a condescending view (treating able-bodied adults like incompetent children) towards people who underachieve.
Wow, you do live in your own little bubble world don't you? Before you can pick yourself up by your own bootstraps, you have to be able to afford the boots. What about children of all these non achievers?
Wow, the little bubble you live in affords you absolutely no reading comprehension ability, does it? Let me help you out: a child is not an able-bodied adult. SMH.

Last edited:

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
So when someone like you or Bodhisattva climb out of the pit, it's easy to assume others with the desire and ambition can do the same.
Just to be clear, I don't assume it's easy. In fact, I know it's hard. I think the focus that you and your wife have on early development and nutrition is great. I have no doubt it will have more success than the government dumping money on a problem, not seeing much in the way of positive results, and dumping more money. The charitable focus of my wife and me is helping, as we know the kids we are assisting are getting an education. Hopefully, it is enough to break the dire poverty they are in.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Let me ask/propose this however you want to view it. Is it possible, just possible, that the powers that be, intentionally sabotaged the civil rights movement by rolling out the Great Society under LBJ to keep the majority of the blacks under "control" and "dumbed down" by floating public housing, welfare, etc. and used them as guinea pigs to eventually roll it out to others? I see guys like MLK who were "awake" if you will and that scared the TPTB so much that they quickly formulated an alternative to appease and ultimately control and keep blacks dependent.

Look at the timing as the Civil Right movement was kicking into high gear and when LBJ rolled out the Great Society.

I don't mean that as a democrat or republican because as I've stated many, many times, I think both parties are bought and paid for by these same powers. Yeah, it's out of left field, but I guess I just wouldn't put anything by the money brokers to keep as many folks on the "plantation" as possible.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Wow, the little bubble you live in affords you absolutely no reading comprehension ability, does it? Let me help you out: a child is not an able-bodied adult. SMH.
I don't think gtown was confused about that, and I believe you missed the point entirely. You proposed the dubious assertion that all able-bodied adults are able to take care of their own responsibilities, which would include their children. But in reality, many cannot. You seem to imply that any child who cannot crawl out of this crucible on their own deserves to stay there and enter a cycle of punishment for their life of, in your words, underachievement.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I know this has kind of gone into a poverty and welfare conversation. I am partially responsible for this. But, I wanted to get back to the OPs original question. I think I said my thoughts earlier but I wanted to hear the thoughts of those who may disagree.

IMO BLM doesn't need to be focusing on "black on black" crime simply because that is not the purpose of their organization. There are other efforts around the country to address crime in black communities and the inner city but that is not BLMs purpose. The push for BLM to address issues of crime in black communities can come across a way to avoid talking about the issues they want to raise. It's not that the members of BLM don't care about other crimes, that's just not the purpose of their organization and is a very different topic.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I know this has kind of gone into a poverty and welfare conversation. I am partially responsible for this. But, I wanted to get back to the OPs original question. I think I said my thoughts earlier but I wanted to hear the thoughts of those who may disagree.

IMO BLM doesn't need to be focusing on "black on black" crime simply because that is not the purpose of their organization. There are other efforts around the country to address crime in black communities and the inner city but that is not BLMs purpose. The push for BLM to address issues of crime in black communities can come across a way to avoid talking about the issues they want to raise. It's not that the members of BLM don't care about other crimes, that's just not the purpose of their organization and is a very different topic.
Point taken. They are independent issues.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I've spent a lot of time, energy, and money researching this - it's how I do things.

While I have great appreciation for your success and the hard work you built upon the foundation of hard work your preceding generations did to help you climb out of poverty, I suspect you overlook some of the advantages you were blessed with that other may not enjoy. While it's fun to poke fun at people here on NS, the reality is that many here are average or above-average in intelligence. I don't know how much time you've spent trying to educate inner-city youths, but I can attest to the fact that many of them are simply not equipped intellectually to climb out of poverty.

It is what it is...

So when someone like you or Bodhisattva climb out of the pit, it's easy to assume others with the desire and ambition can do the same. Sadly, from our time in the poverty stricken areas, many of these young people aren't intellectually equipped to change their trajectory. They don't see the big picture, they don't learn life lessons you and I do easily, they struggle to learn the basics to the point they can progress beyond the bare minimum.

That's the real world, and it's what my wife and I are hoping to combat through pre-natal care and education about food and how it affects development of the fetus / child. Someone with an IQ of 80 is very rarely going to have the intellectual horsepower to see the world around them for what it is, make long term plans that enable their escape, and follow through.

Perhaps you're correct - maybe we're not giving these people enough credit. But if that's true, how long do they have to live in poverty before they take advantage of the options that are available to them? We have literally generations of people who repeat the same life over and over - I'm not sure it's as simple as desire for more that's missing.

We have to figure out how to break the cycle and empower the people who are left behind. History seems to indicate that they are not prepared to do it on their own.
you ought to deep dive what Harris Rosen has done in Tangelo Park in Florida. Not that you have his resources (I assume, but who knows you might) but you may gain some ideas or even find a way to tie in. His focus is education and hope. Pre-k through college degree for everyone in the town he adopted. Guy is a bit of a hero of mine https://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/26/us/tangelo-park-orlando-florida.html?mcubz=3

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I don't think gtown was confused about that, and I believe you missed the point entirely. You proposed the dubious assertion that all able-bodied adults are able to take care of their own responsibilities, which would include their children. But in reality, many cannot. You seem to imply that any child who cannot crawl out of this crucible on their own deserves to stay there and enter a cycle of punishment for their life of, in your words, underachievement.
Thank you, this was my point.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.