BLM protests ongoing in St. Louis...meanwhile, 144 murders committed all by blacks

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Statistics are damning I know. So, the good folks at BLM are upset over the acquittal of a white police officer killing a black man from 2011 or whenever it was. I get it, if he killed an unarmed man.

However, while they are protesting, black on black violence in the city (and most other urban cities) continues to go on without being addressed by Black Lives Matter/NAACP/Urban League/SCLC/etc.

So, why are they more focused on what a single person did/didn't do and instead address the real problem of inner city violence?

http://www.slmpd.org/images/Homicide_Stats_for_Website.pdf

In St. Louis through 9/12, 144 people have been killed by 96 suspects (all black). Of those killed, 135 were black, 1 hispanic and 8 whites.

So as the black community continues to implode, BLM continues to focus on some outside force instead of galvanizing the various local black communities to improve themselves. I guess it's easier to blame someone else than take responsibility for one's actions.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Statistics are damning I know. So, the good folks at BLM are upset over the acquittal of a white police officer killing a black man from 2011 or whenever it was. I get it, if he killed an unarmed man.

However, while they are protesting, black on black violence in the city (and most other urban cities) continues to go on without being addressed by Black Lives Matter/NAACP/Urban League/SCLC/etc.

So, why are they more focused on what a single person did/didn't do and instead address the real problem of inner city violence?

http://www.slmpd.org/images/Homicide_Stats_for_Website.pdf

In St. Louis through 9/12, 144 people have been killed by 96 suspects (all black). Of those killed, 135 were black, 1 hispanic and 8 whites.

So as the black community continues to implode, BLM continues to focus on some outside force instead of galvanizing the various local black communities to improve themselves. I guess it's easier to blame someone else than take responsibility for one's actions.
black community continues to implode? What color is the sky in your world? Did you read that report I posted in the Trump thread how Russian bots are lying about BLM On social media? Perhaps you should

this country needs a massive lesson in Reality and Critical Thinking

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
black community continues to implode? What color is the sky in your world? Did you read that report I posted in the Trump thread how Russian bots are lying about BLM On social media? Perhaps you should

you must be new here.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Here's the point you (repeatedly) miss: They are not focused on the actions of a single individual; they are focused on institutional racism that repeatedly lets police get away with murder. Given the number of posts you yourself have started concerning police shootings, it's baffling that you don't get this.

Furthermore, a police department is NOT "some outside force"; it is as much a part of the community as the civilians who live there.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

I rarely visit that thread. Share with me here.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Well, for a variety of reasons but I'll throw out a couple here.

First, I want to make it clear that it is a myth that the black community isn't concerned about violence in its community. There are countless polls and anecdotal evidence (such as anti violence rallys and programs) to show this. I get that you listed specific organizations here but I just wanted to put it out there that the black community DOES care about the violence in the inner city.

Second, I can't address each organization you mention but I can discuss BLM to some extent. The reason BLM is protesting the one killing and not the others is because they are a group that was formed for a specific reason. You can read more here about their response to this debate in general. Also here is part of their mission statement

When we say Black Lives Matter, we are broadening the conversation around state violence to include all of the ways in which Black people are intentionally left powerless at the hands of the state. We are talking about the ways in which Black lives are deprived of our basic human rights and dignity.
So, it wouldn't really make a whole lot of sense to focus on violence within the black community when that's not their purpose.

I can't speak to the last 2 years numbers with certainty but for the most part crime in black communities has been on a downward trend for years, as has crime in the US as a whole. Again, I want to reiterate that there are quite a few organizations and individuals who have and continue to address violence in black communities.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

Not sure I understand what the article you posted in the Trump thread has to do with the statistics that DBF posted here.

Last edited:

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Not sure I understand what the article you posted in the Trump thread has to do with the statistics that DBF posted here.
it shows that....

Russian bots are lying about BLM On social media, specifically they are supporting his worldview that the community in "imploding" and that BLM is some sot of threat as a way to divide this country.

And it is working

I don't care about his statistics, the black community is far from anything like imploding

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
BLM protesting police violence against innocent citizens ..... that should have everyone's support.

BLM protesting police taking down a criminal who's committing a crime .... they lose credibility.

Student protests (U of Missouri) claiming things like some unspecified white guy looked at me funny so the school president should be fired. And I want my own segregated tax-payer funded student center ..... these people should be condemned as total clowns.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Here's the point you (repeatedly) miss: They are not focused on the actions of a single individual; they are focused on institutional racism that repeatedly lets police get away with murder. Given the number of posts you yourself have started concerning police shootings, it's baffling that you don't get this.

Furthermore, a police department is NOT "some outside force"; it is as much a part of the community as the civilians who live there.
In some cases it does. No doubt about it. In other cases, like Michael Brown, you've got a punk who was videoed assaulting the store owner and vandalizing the store, then attacked the police officer in his car and the officer shot him while he was literally pushed up against the passenger side door trying to defend himself. Instead, the "movement" has made Michael Brown some sort of folk hero despite his behavior that ultimately led to his death. In other cases, like the kid in Ohio that was gunned down playing with an air soft gun, or the guy in NYC who was choked out by the cops for selling cigarettes, I'm all in for prosecuting the cops for murder. They should be.

The cop in Columbus, MS should be strung up by his feet and beaten like a piñata for what he did to that kid.

As for the use of "outside force" you're right, it was a poor choice of words.

I still hold to the supposition that the black community in America has more to fear from themselves, as statistics show, than they do from cops. The murder rate in Chicago, Baltimore, Birmingham, New Orleans, St. Louis, etc. isn't cops killing blacks, it's not whites killing blacks. It is blacks killing blacks. There's no doubt that a better job needs to be done in community relations from a policing stand point. But I still think more energy needs to be projected inward to solving the ongoing black on black murders and crime in general.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
My main problem with BLM is that they act like blacks are the only ones that do not receive justice when it comes to cop killings. Based on the Washington Post's database here, there have been 22 unarmed/unknown weapon white people killed by cops in 2017 and 20 unarmed/unknown blacks. Now, how many of those cops who shot whites do you think are serving jail time? Very, very few would be my guess, the same as the cops involved in the blacks who were killed.

For some reason it seems like cops rarely face jail time when they make bad decisions. I don't think we have a cops shooting black people problem but, a cops shooting people problem. That's my beef with BLM, they are focusing on skin color when we should all just be focused on getting rid of bad cops regardless of the skin color of the victim.

It is frustrating that only the black killings garner much attention on a national level these days while the white ones are largely ignored or discounted. Then, when you try to bring them up, I'm the one that is called racist.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
My main problem with BLM is that they act like blacks are the only ones that do not receive justice when it comes to cop killings. Based on the Washington Post's database here, there have been 22 unarmed/unknown weapon white people killed by cops in 2017 and 20 unarmed/unknown blacks. Now, how many of those cops who shot whites do you think are serving jail time? Very, very few would be my guess, the same as the cops involved in the blacks who were killed.

For some reason it seems like cops rarely face jail time when they make bad decisions. I don't think we have a cops shooting black people problem but, a cops shooting people problem. That's my beef with BLM, they are focusing on skin color when we should all just be focused on getting rid of bad cops regardless of the skin color of the victim.
Yep, the white dude in Utah and the one in Arizona who were gunned down say "Hello"...from the grave anyway.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I still hold to the supposition that the black community in America has more to fear from themselves, as statistics show, than they do from cops. The murder rate in Chicago, Baltimore, Birmingham, New Orleans, St. Louis, etc. isn't cops killing blacks, it's not whites killing blacks. It is blacks killing blacks. There's no doubt that a better job needs to be done in community relations from a policing stand point. But I still think more energy needs to be projected inward to solving the ongoing black on black murders and crime in general.
A few thoughts

1. People commit crimes against those in their own community. Most crimes committed against white people are committed by white people. I believe the rate is something like 87%.

2. Isn't it at least possible that years of slavery and oppression is still impacting black communities. And, isn't it also possible that more police interactions and shootings also has a substantial impact on those communities. I'm not asking anyone to assess blame here but I am asking for acknowledgement that historical oppression of black Americans is probably still impacting those communities today and that police violence does as well. Because, I don't think you can discuss black communities of today without also addressing those 2 factors.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
2. Isn't it at least possible that years of slavery and oppression is still impacting black communities. And, isn't it also possible that more police interactions and shootings also has a substantial impact on those communities. I'm not asking anyone to assess blame here but I am asking for acknowledgement that historical oppression of black Americans is probably still impacting those communities today and that police violence does as well. Because, I don't think you can discuss black communities of today without also addressing those 2 factors.
At what point is one responsible for one's own actions?

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

It is frustrating that only the black killings garner much attention on a national level these days while the white ones are largley ignored or discounted. Then, when you try to bring them up, I'm the one that is called racist.
So, I totally empathize with this. It is a valid point and there is actually some solid data backing it up. So, let's assume cop shootings are an issue but that it has nothing to do with race. Meaning, that it cops shoot people too often and that their decision to shoot was not impacted by race. Even if that is true police shootings still have a larger impact on black communities because black communities tend to be more heavily policed. Because black americans interact with police at higher rates than white americans it's almost impossible to talk about police shootings without the context of race.

A good example are taxes. Let's assume you everyone was taxed at the same rate(let's say 10%). But, you can't talk about this tax without the context of lower income families because they are disproportionately impacted. It isn't a huge deal to Bill Gates if he has to pay 10% because 90% of whatever his net worth is still plenty of money to live on. So, even though the rate is the same for everyone it still has a much larger impact on one group.

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
At what point is one responsible for one's own actions?
Again, I said I wasn't assessing blame here purely asking for acknowledgment that those things have an impact on today. Not even talking about on an individual basis just when taking a look at the whole picture.

For example, could you possible talk about the south today without mentioning the civil war and reconstruction?

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Again, I said I wasn't assessing blame here purely asking for acknowledgment that those things have an impact on today. Not even talking about on an individual basis just when taking a look at the whole picture.

For example, could you possible talk about the south today without mentioning the civil war and reconstruction?
I suppose it has an impact if one is looking for an excuse to underachieve. I've discussed before how I grew up in poverty. It hyper-motivated me to achieve. Same with my wife and many people I know. At some point one has to grow up, be an adult, and not focus on mistreatment that took place decades and centuries ago as an excuse. A free ride to university is there for the taking, as are many other benefits. Take it and make your life better.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I suppose it has an impact if one is looking for an excuse to underachieve. I've discussed before how I grew up in poverty. It hyper-motivated me to achieve. Same with my wife and many people I know. At some point one has to grow up, be an adult, and not focus on mistreatment that took place decades and centuries ago as an excuse. A free ride to university is there for the taking, as are many other benefits. Take it and make your life better.
today I learned 1964 was centuries ago, wow my timeline is off

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.