Jake LaMotta RIP

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
He had more than 100 professional fights, and they were pretty much brawls. Brutal way to make a living. He fought Sugar Ray Robinson six times, I think. And Robinson had around 200 professional fights. Insane!

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Back in those days, a champion usually defended his title on a regular basis like monthly or even more frequently. Now a championship title fight might happened at best once a year. When I was a kid it seemed as though Gene Fullmer and Carmen Basilio fought a title match every Friday night. My father and uncle would watch Gillette's Friday Night fights religiously.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
He had more than 100 professional fights, and they were pretty much brawls. Brutal way to make a living. He fought Sugar Ray Robinson six times, I think. And Robinson had around 200 professional fights. Insane!
a guy plays football for four years and has permanent brain damage....

this cat lived 95 years had over 100 fights....crazy tough dude.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Back in those days, a champion usually defended his title on a regular basis like monthly or even more frequently. Now a championship title fight might happened at best once a year. When I was a kid it seemed as though Gene Fullmer and Carmen Basilio fought a title match every Friday night. My father and uncle would watch Gillette's Friday Night fights religiously.
Two of the Jake LaMotta vs Sugar Ray Robinson fights were only 21 days apart and these were real battles.

LaMotta said of the Raging Bull movie after he saw it, "I kind of look bad in it. Then I realized it was true."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.