Nebraska Fires AD Shawn Eichost

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I would remind you that Alabama was considered to be irrelevant nationally before the Saban hire.
And I would remind you that coming into the 2000 season they were still tied with Texas at #3 all time in wins all time. They had some bad losses but they also weren't getting 50, (besides the 5 OT with Tennessee) 60, and 70 points hung in them either. Through thick and thin no SEC team caught and/or passed them in conference championships or took a lead in the series against Bama in games played. Alabama's irrelevant period is nothing compared to what Notre Dame and Nebraska has been.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Notre Dame had an undefeated season and played in the NC game in 2012. Even though they got obliterated by us that's more than Nebraska's done in the past 20 years. How many years does a team have to be irrelevant to no longer be considered a blue blood program? I think most people feel like if Notre Dame hired the right coach they could right back into national title contention fairly quickly. I don't think anyone feels that way about Nebraska..
Well Nebraska has not won a conference championship since 1999 yet they still have 46 which is more than anyone else...so far. Oklahoma is 2nd all time with 45 and I predict that changes this year.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Notre Dame had an undefeated season and played in the NC game in 2012. Even though they got obliterated by us that's more than Nebraska's done in the past 20 years. How many years does a team have to be irrelevant to no longer be considered a blue blood program? I think most people feel like if Notre Dame hired the right coach they could right back into national title contention fairly quickly. I don't think anyone feels that way about Nebraska..
If Urban Meyer became ND's head coach, I believe he could turn them around, idk about Nebraska.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Well Nebraska has not won a conference championship since 1999 yet they still have 46 which is more than anyone else...so far. Oklahoma is 2nd all time with 45 and I predict that changes this year.
Do you know that 15 of those conference championships are from 1894 to 1923 when Nebraska was a part of the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletic Association? I appreciate that you took the time to type in conference championships into google but you have to go beyond the first result of the search engine in order to provide context. Plus, this just reiterates the point of how far they've fallen off and how unlikely it is that they'll ever be what they once were..

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
And I would remind you that coming into the 2000 season they were still tied with Texas at #3 all time in wins all time. They had some bad losses but they also weren't getting 50, (besides the 5 OT with Tennessee) 60, and 70 points hung in them either. Through thick and thin no SEC team caught and/or passed them in conference championships or took a lead in the series against Bama in games played. Alabama's irrelevant period is nothing compared to what Notre Dame and Nebraska has been.
A point that I am still royally upset about. We would be #2 today if not for the vacations/forfeits. No one is catching Michigan in my lifetime. They had too much of a head start.

We were also #3 in winning percentage back then.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
Nebraska needs a Texas coach with rock solid connections to Dallas and Houston areas. They can't compete without the skill players. That being said, they need to temper expectations by a bunch. Frank Solich got fired over a 9 win season.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
A point that I am still royally upset about. We would be #2 today if not for the vacations/forfeits. No one is catching Michigan in my lifetime. They had too much of a head start.

We were also #3 in winning percentage back then.
Well that and that Michigan played more games in their first 40 seasons than Alabama did. Michigan started earlier but only had played 42 games before Alabama’s first season. From 1892-1916, Michigan played 227 games compared to Alabama playing 160 games. Not so much a head start but so many more games played in the first few decades. Michigan is more of a traditional power before 1950.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
But look who is winning the most now, history is nice, but today we are the ruling power house team. I bet Michigan would trade old wins for more new wins :cool2:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Is Nebraska still considered a blue blood program by the college football world? I read an article over the summer that said Nebraska is still a blue blood program but I find that hard to believe when they haven't won a conference championship in almost 20 years. I understand all programs have their ups and downs but it looks this the current state of Nebraska football is not a down period but has become the norm..

I don't think that technically they ever WERE a blue blood program.....they were kings, a cut below.

People really need to go back and see what exactly it was that made Nebraska a 'national program.'

Basically, it was based on ONE game, the Oklahoma game, that everyone used to see around Thanksgiving. Nebraska would play six little Great Plains names out of a phone book and smash them all and be unbeaten or a one-loss team coming into the OU game.

Sometimes, they'd beat OU - and folks around the country would engage the circular argument of "wow, Nebraska beat OU and OU is AWESOME" even if they weren't.

They had a huge name in the early 80s, but go look at what happened when they played actual decent teams - with few exceptions, they lost.

Their 90s team was very good, but they were really the last old school dynasty (e.g. the pre-passing game Big 12 era).

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I don't think that technically they ever WERE a blue blood program.....they were kings, a cut below.

People really need to go back and see what exactly it was that made Nebraska a 'national program.'

Basically, it was based on ONE game, the Oklahoma game, that everyone used to see around Thanksgiving. Nebraska would play six little Great Plains names out of a phone book and smash them all and be unbeaten or a one-loss team coming into the OU game.

Sometimes, they'd beat OU - and folks around the country would engage the circular argument of "wow, Nebraska beat OU and OU is AWESOME" even if they weren't.

They had a huge name in the early 80s, but go look at what happened when they played actual decent teams - with few exceptions, they lost.

Their 90s team was very good, but they were really the last old school dynasty (e.g. the pre-passing game Big 12 era).
They have more conference championships than Alabama. They were certainly blue bloods.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
They have more conference championships than Alabama. They were certainly blue bloods.
I tend to agree. I don't easily remove a team from blue blood status but for the points I already stated in this thread I think Nebraska is just about there. If they don't get their next coaching hire right and have another decade of mediocrity I don't think it'll be a question anymore..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
They and Oklahoma won like 95% of the total Big 8 championships. I cannot give that equal weight to Alabama's number of SEC championships, of which several teams have a respectable number of.
Agreed, but you can't exclude everyone not in the SEC. 46 conference championships and 5 national championships - all of the national championships in the modern era. If they don't belong, almost nobody does.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Agreed, but you can't exclude everyone not in the SEC. 46 conference championships and 5 national championships - all of the national championships in the modern era. If they don't belong, almost nobody does.
I think they do belong, but I do think they are fading away. I don't think it's impossible to right their ship, but it will be a daunting task indeed.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
Nebraska is a blue blood as it gets!! The difference between them and Michigan and Ohio State is that the Big 8 disolved and their little fiefdom they shared with OU for all those decades is gone.

BTW, all the chatter is that Scott Frost is the guy if he has a really strong showing this year down in Orlando.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They have more conference championships than Alabama.
They had a 30-year head start in three different conferences. They won several of those in four-team conferences, which hardly constitutes a challenge. (It's like all those Stanley Cups that Montreal won back when there were only six to eight hockey teams - it's an accident of time).

The SEC BEGAN with THIRTEEN schools, three of whom left (Sewanee, Ga Tech, and Tulane), and they didn't start play until 1933.

Surely you can understand it's substantially more difficult to win conference titles in a 13-team conference or even a ten-team conference than in a four-team conference. Most of theirs were won in 7-team conferences.

It's difficult to view it as the same when it's only half as difficult to win the conference.

They were certainly blue bloods.
I disagree on this particular issue. I'm not dissing that they most certainly were an accomplished school, but blue bloods is the likes of us, Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC, Notre Dame and maybe a couple of other schools (Michigan maybe......possibly Florida State once Bowden got there).

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The five national titles is a much greater accomplishment and moves them closer to that status - I'll agree there.

On the other hand......their five titles came in two brief spurts of back-to-back and three in four. That's not long-term longevity, that's a couple of really good recruiting classes twice.

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm dissing Nebraska. They were once a mighty name and certainly could put together a title team again. I just view them as a cut below.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.