Nebraska Fires AD Shawn Eichost

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It was a kiss of death when he fully supported Riley after losing to NIU this past weekend..

I imagine folks are being interviewed or at least having feelers gauging HC's interest in replacing Riley at the very least

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Nebraska is a mess and Riley should be very concerned about his long term employment. One of my friend's son is Tanner Lee their starting QB and he had a bad game last week. Hopefully they can get it back on track.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
It was a kiss of death when he fully supported Riley after losing to NIU this past weekend..

I imagine folks are being interviewed or at least having feelers gauging HC's interest in replacing Riley at the very least
I heard Miss Terry was spotted looking at houses in Lincoln.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Nebraska is a mess and Riley should be very concerned about his long term employment. One of my friend's son is Tanner Lee their starting QB and he had a bad game last week. Hopefully they can get it back on track.
Dear Coach Saban,

I am writing you in hopes of entering The Head Coach Rehabilitation Program there in Tuscaloosa. I believe you refer to it as an "offensive analyst" position.

I feel certain my services will be available no later than the first part of December, maybe even sooner.

Your Friend,

Mike Riley
Soon to Be Ex-Head Coach
University of Nebraska

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
Dear Coach Saban,

I am writing you in hopes of entering The Head Coach Rehabilitation Program there in Tuscaloosa. I believe you refer to it as an "offensive analyst" position.

I feel certain my services will be available no later than the first part of December, maybe even sooner.

Your Friend,

Mike Riley
Soon to Be Ex-Head Coach
University of Nebraska
Oh man that's so messed up.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Hard to regard it as anything but Karma. His wife regarded herself as too good for T-Town. Meanwhile, he's finding it hard to attract enough quality players to NE, whereas Saban doesn't seem to have that same problem with T-Town. I predicted NE's decline years ago when the NCAA sealed the scholarship loophole...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Hard to regard it as anything but Karma. His wife regarded herself as too good for T-Town. Meanwhile, he's finding it hard to attract enough quality players to NE, whereas Saban doesn't seem to have that same problem with T-Town. I predicted NE's decline years ago when the NCAA sealed the scholarship loophole...
What was the loophole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
IIRC it had something to do with taking advantage of an unlimited amount of walkons, which Nebraska used until that loophole was closed as Earle alluded to. Nebraska has historically relied on Texas, Florida and California to recruit predominantly black, skill position players. That to has slowed and consequently has led to Nebraska's decline since the early 2000's. Nebraska is not heavily populated and has very few blacks. That plus Nebraska's climate makes it a hard sell for recruits.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.
I was curious as to why he turned down Bama. Sounds like his wife and Rita would get alone fine.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
What was the loophole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
When the Big Eight merged with the four teams from the old Southwest Conference (Texas, TAMU, TCU Texas Tech) to form the Big 12, the coaches voted to no longer accept any non-qualifiers or partial qualifiers under Prop 48. Nebraska and Osborne had made a living bringing those players in from place like Florida, Texas, and California. Players that would have had to go to prep school or junior college otherwise in order to meet academic requirements.

Many point to that being the reason Osborne decide to retire when he did because it became more and more difficult to recruit once that loophole was closed.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
It's interesting that she is from Birmingham. She regarded the college football environment here as too much of a fishbowl. Wonder what she thinks of Lincoln ? Mike himself seems like a genuinely great guy.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Maybe this will show all those folks in Nebraska that when you have a coach averaging 9-10 wins a season you should be happy because it could always be worse.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Pellini had to go, he was a walking, talking time bomb, but hiring Mike Riley is still a head scratcher. Riley was a decent coach for Oregon State whose expectations are about like vanderbilt's, but Eichorst obviously made a bad decision and is now paying the price.

IMO, Nebraska is one of those programs that would probably be better off with a former player or coach as the HC due to the uniqueness of the state and school and selling the program to out of state recruits. If Riley is let go then the new AD better make a good hire or his tenure will be brief also.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.