Nebraska Fires AD Shawn Eichost

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
And it's serves them right. Mizzou wanted that spot first, but had a 1 year buyout. So cocky cornshuckers decided on the move.

I think it's funny that Nebraska fans were calling for an undefeated season in 2011, but got smacked in their big 10 opener against Bert. I think it's funny that they consider Wisconsin a rival while Wisconsin doesn't view them as one.
Mizzou is a B1G school in every way other than actual conference affiliation. They are a Midwestern school. Nebraska and Mizzou should really get together and try to arrange a deal to swap conferences, though I am not sure that the SEC wants either.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Mizzou is a B1G school in every way other than actual conference affiliation. They are a Midwestern school. Nebraska and Mizzou should really get together and try to arrange a deal to swap conferences, though I am not sure that the SEC wants either.
Nebraska would never do it because they would be around 7th or 8th in the pecking order in the SEC.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Well with all due respect, Tom Osborne did actually successfully replace Bob Devaney as "The Man".
Well, sort of......but they were restless for many years up until that final few years when he finally won titles.

And wasn't Devaney the AD while Osborne was coach?

That gave Tom some cover he wouldn't have had otherwise.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
But Purdue is satisfied being the Vandy of the B1G. Great school, great atmosphere, but winning is not really a priority. Nebraska wants to win. In that respect, they are not Purdue.
Since 2004, Nebraska has lost at least 4 or more games every season. I don't even understand why they think Wisconsin is a rival. They have only played 11 times. If anything, Iowa (46 meetings) and Minnesota (57 meetings) would be their main B1G rivals.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well, sort of......but they were restless for many years up until that final few years when he finally won titles.

And wasn't Devaney the AD while Osborne was coach?

That gave Tom some cover he wouldn't have had otherwise.
Yes he was their AD (seemingly more of a figurehead in the later years IMO) until 1993. Also I've done a lot of research and everything seems to go back into "Prop 48". I still wonder if Osborne had stayed around another 5 years if he could have won another NC.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Since 2004, Nebraska has lost at least 4 or more games every season. I don't even understand why they think Wisconsin is a rival. They have only played 11 times. If anything, Iowa (46 meetings) and Minnesota (57 meetings) would be their main B1G rivals.
They consider Wisconsin a rival because their idiot fans made it one. It mostly revolves around the fact that their first B1G game was Wisconsin. But Wisconsin never felt like it is a rivalry even though there is a trophy involved. The ironic thing is that Iowa truly considers Nebraska a rival but Nebraska more considers them how Michigan considers MSU.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
They consider Wisconsin a rival because their idiot fans made it one. It mostly revolves around the fact that their first B1G game was Wisconsin. But Wisconsin never felt like it is a rivalry even though there is a trophy involved. The ironic thing is that Iowa truly considers Nebraska a rival but Nebraska more considers them how Michigan considers MSU.
Yeah the "Freedom Trophy". Maybe because they both have similar colors, Nebraska sees Wisconsin as their new OU.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Well dozens of other colleges are getting the players now that would have gone to Nebraska 20-30 years ago.
Yeah he's right, and you're right too. They are hurt by being in a state with very few legit D1 prospects, and the closest states with potential recruiting grounds are a long ways away. So it helped when they played in Texas a good bit, by virtue of their Big 12 membership. But as others have mentioned, the whole Prop 48 was truly what gave them the ability to be an elite program for so long. They got a lot of guys out of Florida, California, and Texas that couldn't get enrolled at other places. When they lost that, they slowly began to fade away. And I do mean slowly, as they did win one NC and still competed at a pretty high level after joining the Big 12 until around 2002 or so.

But now, they regularly play in Iowa/Minnesota/Wisconsin. All states with little more talent than Nebraska has. They are in the wrong side of the Big Ten, as far as recruiting goes. The majority of talent that exists in the B1G footprint lives in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. I guess New Jersey counts as well due to Rutgers.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Is Nebraska still considered a blue blood program by the college football world? I read an article over the summer that said Nebraska is still a blue blood program but I find that hard to believe when they haven't won a conference championship in almost 20 years. I understand all programs have their ups and downs but it looks this the current state of Nebraska football is not a down period but has become the norm..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Is Nebraska still considered a blue blood program by the college football world? I read an article over the summer that said Nebraska is still a blue blood program but I find that hard to believe when they haven't won a conference championship in almost 20 years. I understand all programs have their ups and downs but it looks this the current state of Nebraska football is not a down period but has become the norm..
Sure, as is Notre Dame. They are on the cusp of becoming totally irrelevant, but I still consider them a blue blood and think that the sport would be well served by having them rise back to prominence again.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Sure, as is Notre Dame. They are on the cusp of becoming totally irrelevant, but I still consider them a blue blood and think that the sport would be well served by having them rise back to prominence again.
Notre Dame had an undefeated season and played in the NC game in 2012. Even though they got obliterated by us that's more than Nebraska's done in the past 20 years. How many years does a team have to be irrelevant to no longer be considered a blue blood program? I think most people feel like if Notre Dame hired the right coach they could right back into national title contention fairly quickly. I don't think anyone feels that way about Nebraska..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Notre Dame had an undefeated season and played in the NC game in 2012. Even though they got obliterated by us that's more than Nebraska's done in the past 20 years. How many years does a team have to be irrelevant to no longer be considered a blue blood program? I think most people feel like if Notre Dame hired the right coach they could right back into national title contention fairly quickly. I don't think anyone feels that way about Nebraska..
I would remind you that Alabama was considered to be irrelevant nationally before the Saban hire.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
I would remind you that Alabama was considered to be irrelevant nationally before the Saban hire.
Disagree there. We won the SEC championship in 1999, went 10-3 in 2002 and 10-2 in 2005. Those seasons in 2002 and 2005 didn't end in championships but we were definitely relevant during that time period both inter conference and nationally. I'm by no means saying that Alabama had a great program in the early 2000s pre-Saban but we were nationally relevant at times. Nebraska has lost 4 or more games for 13 straight years and 18 years without a conference title. To me they are no longer a blue blood but I've read articles that agree with your viewpoint so I guess it depends on how each person defines it..

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Disagree there. We won the SEC championship in 1999, went 10-3 in 2002 and 10-2 in 2005. Those seasons in 2002 and 2005 didn't end in championships but we were definitely relevant during that time period both inter conference and nationally. I'm by no means saying that Alabama had a great program in the early 2000s pre-Saban but we were nationally relevant at times. Nebraska has lost 4 or more games for 13 straight years and 18 years without a conference title. To me they are no longer a blue blood but I've read articles that agree with your viewpoint so I guess it depends on how each person defines it..
I am not saying that you became Nebraska, but my point is that you were still a blue blood. All you needed was the right coach to bring you back. Nebraska was never Alabama and they have no hope of ever being Alabama given their geographic location, but they can become "Nebraska" again with the right guy.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.