Nebraska Fires AD Shawn Eichost

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
The five national titles is a much greater accomplishment and moves them closer to that status - I'll agree there.

On the other hand......their five titles came in two brief spurts of back-to-back and three in four. That's not long-term longevity, that's a couple of really good recruiting classes twice.

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm dissing Nebraska. They were once a mighty name and certainly could put together a title team again. I just view them as a cut below.
Ok, for the sake of argument let's not argue the the Conference Title angle. I think that's a bloated stat. I believe the blue blood elite are those that are continually chosen for the New Years 6 bowls! That's how I have always just programs. Sugar, Rose, and Orange first. Cotton, Fiesta and Peach next. Cotton bowls can be skewed as it was just as big as the first three for half a century and just now recently regained its status as an elite bowl. Nebraska got its mail at the darn Orange Bowl for decades. That who you went to play when you went to Miami.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Ok, for the sake of argument let's not argue the the Conference Title angle. I think that's a bloated stat. I believe the blue blood elite are those that are continually chosen for the New Years 6 bowls! That's how I have always just programs. Sugar, Rose, and Orange first. Cotton, Fiesta and Peach next. Cotton bowls can be skewed as it was just as big as the first three for half a century and just now recently regained its status as an elite bowl. Nebraska got its mail at the darn Orange Bowl for decades. That who you went to play when you went to Miami.
So Miami is all of the sudden a blue blood?

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
IIRC it had something to do with taking advantage of an unlimited amount of walkons, which Nebraska used until that loophole was closed as Earle alluded to. Nebraska has historically relied on Texas, Florida and California to recruit predominantly black, skill position players. That to has slowed and consequently has led to Nebraska's decline since the early 2000's. Nebraska is not heavily populated and has very few blacks. That plus Nebraska's climate makes it a hard sell for recruits.
The loophole was related to the charter for the University of Nebraska. The state mandated that UN provide a free ride to one student from every county in Nebraska every year. With 93 counties in Nebraska that translates to 93 free rides per year. Amazingly, under Tom Osborne, many of these free rides went to highly recruited football players, who then went to UN and "walked on". Most were big corn fed farm boys, who Osborne bulked up with 'roids, turning them into monsters. The NCAA shut the loophole, and as pointed out by Graytide, the game moved on from big steroid bulked, slow linemen. UN's program declined with the closure and the changes in the game.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
The loophole was related to the charter for the University of Nebraska. The state mandated that UN provide a free ride to one student from every county in Nebraska every year. With 93 counties in Nebraska that translates to 93 free rides per year. Amazingly, under Tom Osborne, many of these free rides went to highly recruited football players, who then went to UN and "walked on". Most were big corn fed farm boys, who Osborne bulked up with 'roids, turning them into monsters. The NCAA shut the loophole, and as pointed out by Graytide, the game moved on from big steroid bulked, slow linemen. UN's program declined with the closure and the changes in the game.
Yes. This is fact.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Ok, for the sake of argument let's not argue the the Conference Title angle. I think that's a bloated stat.
Each conference title must be viewed in its context. For example, Notre Dame has ZERO because they're an independent. And Miami's 1980s dynasty - for all my criticisms of it, which are many - didn't win conference titles, either, but that has no bearing on their greatness.

I believe the blue blood elite are those that are continually chosen for the New Years 6 bowls!
Ok. I'm not sure I agree but let me explain why.

It's not that I think your criterion is wrong, but it can be just as misleading as conference titles. UCLA made the Rose Bowl in 1983 because of a conference tie-in of the Pac Ten and Big Ten. Their record was 6-4-1......1/2 game WORSE than 7-4 Alabama, who was relegated to the Sun Bowl.

I mean, UCLA had a worse record than Alabama but thanks to conference tie-ins, they get a prestigious bowl and we get a bottom tier bowl?

Why? Because of agreements.

That's how I have always just programs. Sugar, Rose, and Orange first. Cotton, Fiesta and Peach next.
The Fiesta Bowl was NOT 'really' a prestigious bowl until the infamous 1987 game that decided the 86 champion. It was originally begun as a way to get the WAC teams of Frank Kush that nobody in the East paid attention to a bowl game. When Nebraska played in the 1975 Fiesta Bowl that was NOT a prestigious game.

And the Peach Bowl? Ahem.......

Cotton bowls can be skewed as it was just as big as the first three for half a century and just now recently regained its status as an elite bowl. Nebraska got its mail at the darn Orange Bowl for decades. That who you went to play when you went to Miami.
And why was Nebraska at the Orange Bowl? Because there was a Big Eight contract mandating it.

Beat OU......go to the Orange Bowl. Most years it really was that simple for Nebraska.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
Each conference title must be viewed in its context. For example, Notre Dame has ZERO because they're an independent. And Miami's 1980s dynasty - for all my criticisms of it, which are many - didn't win conference titles, either, but that has no bearing on their greatness.

Ok. I'm not sure I agree but let me explain why.

It's not that I think your criterion is wrong, but it can be just as misleading as conference titles. UCLA made the Rose Bowl in 1983 because of a conference tie-in of the Pac Ten and Big Ten. Their record was 6-4-1......1/2 game WORSE than 7-4 Alabama, who was relegated to the Sun Bowl.

I mean, UCLA had a worse record than Alabama but thanks to conference tie-ins, they get a prestigious bowl and we get a bottom tier bowl?

Why? Because of agreements.

The Fiesta Bowl was NOT 'really' a prestigious bowl until the infamous 1987 game that decided the 86 champion. It was originally begun as a way to get the WAC teams of Frank Kush that nobody in the East paid attention to a bowl game. When Nebraska played in the 1975 Fiesta Bowl that was NOT a prestigious game.

And the Peach Bowl? Ahem.......

And why was Nebraska at the Orange Bowl? Because there was a Big Eight contract mandating it.

Beat OU......go to the Orange Bowl. Most years it really was that simple for Nebraska.

I think you kinda made my argument for me on the bowls. Blue Blood programs go to the NY6 Bowls games because of their prestige and not always because of their records. Miami may have the stats for a blue blood program but they wouldn't have a player winning the Heisman during a losing season "Notre Dame" The Fiesta, Cotton, and Peach all had moments where they were semi-elite bowls. My argument for their early inclusion is that they were formed for Conference CHAMPS in a era when bowl games were only played by Conference Champs and BLUEBLOODS. The Fact that the Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Rose bowl were contractually obligated to certain conferences is based on the "Prestige" of that Conference. Once again Blue Blood does not mean Best Program it means Elite by reputation. Nebraska is that

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I think you kinda made my argument for me on the bowls. Blue Blood programs go to the NY6 Bowls games because of their prestige and not always because of their records. Miami may have the stats for a blue blood program but they wouldn't have a player winning the Heisman during a losing season "Notre Dame" The Fiesta, Cotton, and Peach all had moments where they were semi-elite bowls. My argument for their early inclusion is that they were formed for Conference CHAMPS in a era when bowl games were only played by Conference Champs and BLUEBLOODS. The Fact that the Orange Bowl, Sugar Bowl and Rose bowl were contractually obligated to certain conferences is based on the "Prestige" of that Conference. Once again Blue Blood does not mean Best Program it means Elite by reputation. Nebraska is that
Not really. Nebraska’s program is more or less destroyed and limited to begging for scraps at the dinner table like Tennessee. Runs will be few and far between for those programs.

Current blue bloods

1. Bama
2. Tosu
3. Oklahoma
4. USC
5. Florida
6. Florida State
7. Notre Dame.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
Not really. Nebraska’s program is more or less destroyed and limited to begging for scraps at the dinner table like Tennessee. Runs will be few and far between for those programs.

Current blue bloods

1. Bama
2. Tosu
3. Oklahoma
4. USC
5. Florida
6. Florida State
7. Notre Dame.
I disagree with Florida and Notre Dame. Coaching matters.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
In keeping with the discussion of blue bloods. I figured another subjective way of defining what a blue blood is would be the Bowl game test. (Example) Lets say your a fan of a team not of the blue blood status and your team gets to play in the "Roy's Used Tires Bowl in Toledo" against anyone in the country. What team would you pick to play in a down year just to say you beat them in a bowl game?? A quick poll around the office here in LA came up with these non-SEC choices.

Miami
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Texas
Michigan
Ohio State
Florida State
USC

Not a bad list. I think we Bama fans have gotten so used to looking at this from up on high that we sometimes forget what fans of lesser programs consider as blue blood.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I disagree with Florida and Notre Dame. Coaching matters.
Florida has been one of the most consistent teams in the country since 1990, and has prime recruiting grounds to make a title contender in a matter of 2 years. Don’t know what you are basing them not on.

ND is a nationally branded team. Yes they face the same problem as Tennessee and Nebraska with in state recruiting but their exposure throughout the country makes it able to put a better than average product out even in down years. Same can’t be said about Nebraska and Tennessee.

In keeping with the discussion of blue bloods. I figured another subjective way of defining what a blue blood is would be the Bowl game test. (Example) Lets say your a fan of a team not of the blue blood status and your team gets to play in the "Roy's Used Tires Bowl in Toledo" against anyone in the country. What team would you pick to play in a down year just to say you beat them in a bowl game?? A quick poll around the office here in LA came up with these non-SEC choices.

Miami
Nebraska
Notre Dame
Texas
Michigan
Ohio State
Florida State
USC

Not a bad list. I think we Bama fans have gotten so used to looking at this from up on high that we sometimes forget what fans of lesser programs consider as blue blood.
Okay wanting to play Miami and Nebraska doesn’t make them blue bloods. Heck most on here would’ve wanted to play Oregon and Boise State the last 8 years. Does that make them blue bloods?

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA
Florida has been one of the most consistent teams in the country since 1990, and has prime recruiting grounds to make a title contender in a matter of 2 years. Don’t know what you are basing them not on.

ND is a nationally branded team. Yes they face the same problem as Tennessee and Nebraska with in state recruiting but their exposure throughout the country makes it able to put a better than average product out even in down years. Same can’t be said about Nebraska and Tennessee.

Okay wanting to play Miami and Nebraska doesn’t make them blue bloods. Heck most on here would’ve wanted to play Oregon and Boise State the last 8 years. Does that make them blue bloods?
I think there is no clear definition of blue blood. I mean we can argue that Florida belongs but Miami doesn't? Count the National Titles. Nebraska is every bit as blue blood at ND in my opinion. It is a completely subjective argument with no definitive answer.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.