Norway has set aside nearly $188K for each of its citizens

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Impressive! A country that's fiscally responsible. Of course a lot of it is invested in stocks & real estate so...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...200000-for-each-citizen/ar-AAsiexW?li=BBnb7Kz

The fund, which holds and invests the proceeds from Norway’s enormous oil and gas wealth, which was discovered in the 1960s in the North Sea, is intended to provide “for future generations” of Norwegians.

Invested in stocks, bonds and real estate, the sovereign wealth fund has gotten a boost this year as stock markets around the world have rallied. Apart from 212.5 billion Swedish Kroner (about $27 billion) that the fund transferred to the Swedish government last year, the assets are invested for the long term, so Norwegians can continue to benefit from the energy windfall even after the oil wells run dry.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
And they don't intent to share it.

LINK

Minister of Immigration, Sylvi Listhaug of Fremskritts parti (Frp), said she’s ‘pleased that many countries now reject asylum applications,and that Norway has a high rate of decline’.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
Sounds a bit similar to what Alaska does. From wiki:

Shortly after the oil from Alaska’s North Slope began flowing to market through the Trans-Alaska Pipeline System, the Permanent Fund was created by an amendment to the Alaska Constitution. It was designed to be an investment where at least 25% of the oil money would be put into a dedicated fund for future generations, who would no longer have oil as a resource.

The Permanent Fund Dividend [PFD] is [an annual] dividend paid to Alaska residents that have lived within the state for a full calendar year... The lowest individual dividend payout was $331.29 in 1984 and the highest was $2,072 in 2015.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It should be obvious, but, since it hasn't been said - their budget is balanced, to the tune of almost 19% in 2008 and a low of 3.1% last year...

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
This is where the money goes when you order a $12 beer in Norway.

(Not that I blame the Norwegians. They are behaving as if there will be a tomorrow, unlike the US which acts like tomorrow will never come.)

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
That helps. I've had a $20 mediocre glass of wine there, in line with Tidewater's $12 beer. However, all other taxes are sky-high, including the VAT you pay on every item or service you buy...
All this talk about alcohol in Norway piqued my interest. Here's an article that explains the situation there and in other Scandinavian countries:

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/articl...estrictive-on-buying-booze-and-people-like-it

Displaced, this is a small view into Scandinavian life. Really not sure you'd appreciate it overall, notwithstanding their fiscal responsibility.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
All this talk about alcohol in Norway piqued my interest. Here's an article that explains the situation there and in other Scandinavian countries:

https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/articl...estrictive-on-buying-booze-and-people-like-it

Displaced, this is a small view into Scandinavian life. Really not sure you'd appreciate it overall, notwithstanding their fiscal responsibility.
Of course, you can still buy by the drink in restaurants, etc. In Oslo, they can make it over to Sweden to buy, where it's much cheaper and easier to obtain, so there's a mass exodus on Fridays to get over there and stock up. One of the funniest things about this happened in Bergen, where we spent the last five days of our last trip over. It happened that our room overlooked the nearest "Polet." (They have a habit of shortening words. An "automobile" is a "bile," pronounced "beel.") On Saturday, having already stocked up, I happened to be watching at 3:01 PM. A lady came striding down the street and approached the doors, which faced out catty-cornered on the intersection. She pulled and then rattled the door and then stepped back in defeat. One odd thing though - they let minors in the Polet and they'd sit along benches in the front of the store and beg you to buy them booze. It was apparently legal, whereas here it'd get you thrown under the jail. I'd just say "Jeg snakker ikke Norsk." ("I speak no Norwegian," which wasn't strictly true.) That ended it...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.