The case for a progressive foreign policy

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I guess there might be an instance out there somewhere, but I've seen no Christian movement to deny the aforementioned people their rights. They have the same rights that I do as far as I can tell...maybe more because I'm not a member of a special interest group.
yes, Christian groups are notorious for their dogged advocacy of gay rights and of course want muslims to set up sharia law and jihaddi training camps all over the US, what was I thinking

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida
Goofiness? These same christian schools tell kids that gays and non Christians neither have nor deserve the same rights as others. That isn't goofy it's evil
I was referring to the scientologists in your post I quoted. At any rate, I'm not interested in jumping on the slippery slope of regulating thought.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I guess there might be an instance out there somewhere, but I've seen no Christian movement to deny the aforementioned people their rights. They have the same rights that I do as far as I can tell...maybe more because I'm not a member of a special interest group.
the tool that is about to become the next alabama senator has made quite the career out of trying to convince folks that gay folks are an abomination and should be treated as such in the eyes of the law. his entire political career has been based on him leading real christians to save the country from the wrath of the almighty god.

i would consider that a christian movement of sorts.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
the tool that is about to become the next alabama senator has made quite the career out of trying to convince folks that gay folks are an abomination and should be treated as such in the eyes of the law. his entire political career has been based on him leading real christians to save the country from the wrath of the almighty god.

i would consider that a christian movement of sorts.
Reverend Flavel approves of this message.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Please, feel free to bring us back. 
Sure. This snippet from the post originally quoted is pertinent:

At the heart of his speech was the argument that the divide between domestic and foreign policy is not only artificial but also counterproductive. An expansive view of foreign policy—not merely as the idea of what happens over there, but also as part of who we are here at home—challenges us to enlarge our own thinking. Foreign policy, in Sanders’s argument, is not just about whether we go to war or not. It is about our democracy at home; it is about climate change; it is about global oligarchy; and it is about how American leadership can come together and solve the challenges we face through diplomacy.
The word "expansive" is bolded because I find in it my central objection to progressivism both at home and abroad. I do not find economic intervention less evil than military intervention, only more subtle. I would rather let others be unless they pose a threat to us which must be countered.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Please, feel free to bring us back. ��
LOL! What does 92 say? Oh yeah "You must be new here." LOL!

Well, I would prefer we quit doling out foreign aid for one and withdraw from NATO as well as cut off our money to the UN. In fact, I wish the UN would move to Europe. It would be a more centralized location and we could let the Europeans worry about funding the UN for a while. We can't keep saving the world from itself. If there is a real threat to the US then deal with it, but not for the sake of boosting some CEO's bonus or fund manager's commission.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
LOL! What does 92 say? Oh yeah "You must be new here." LOL!

Well, I would prefer we quit doling out foreign aid for one and withdraw from NATO as well as cut off our money to the UN. In fact, I wish the UN would move to Europe. It would be a more centralized location and we could let the Europeans worry about funding the UN for a while. We can't keep saving the world from itself. If there is a real threat to the US then deal with it, but not for the sake of boosting some CEO's bonus or fund manager's commission.
Following up on NATO, do you think we should withdraw from all alliances?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Following up on NATO, do you think we should withdraw from all alliances?
What are the real threats that would constitute an alliance at this point? Islamic terrorism, North Korea, Iran? Do we need military alliances and spend hundreds of billions of dollars arming other nations who's stability, at times, is questionable? Think of all the military aid we give Israel. Why? Ditto for Saudi Arabia and now Jordan.

I just don't see the need. It's not like Russia has 150 divisions on the Polish and Ukrainian borders to roll right on through Europe. They can probably field 5-10 active divisions right now at best. I just don't see a threat that requires us to arm others.

Yeah, Iran and North Korea worry me. On the flip side, the rhetoric being spewed from DT isn't helping either. I think the situation could be de-escalated and then work with the Chinese to handle their rogue puppet.

As for Iran, if Saudi Arabia is worried about them, let Saudi Arabia do something about it. I'd rather take that money that we spend on others and 1) rebuild our infrastructure, 2) pay down our debt, and 3) improve our internal security such as passenger screening, border security & Visa management. That's my .02.

I'm just tired of us playing the ever over achieving big brother who drives a BMW but actually lives in a small home with $120,000 in CC debt.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
What are the real threats that would constitute an alliance at this point? Islamic terrorism, North Korea, Iran? Do we need military alliances and spend hundreds of billions of dollars arming other nations who's stability, at times, is questionable? Think of all the military aid we give Israel. Why? Ditto for Saudi Arabia and now Jordan.

I just don't see the need. It's not like Russia has 150 divisions on the Polish and Ukrainian borders to roll right on through Europe. They can probably field 5-10 active divisions right now at best. I just don't see a threat that requires us to arm others.

Yeah, Iran and North Korea worry me. On the flip side, the rhetoric being spewed from DT isn't helping either. I think the situation could be de-escalated and then work with the Chinese to handle their rogue puppet.

As for Iran, if Saudi Arabia is worried about them, let Saudi Arabia do something about it. I'd rather take that money that we spend on others and 1) rebuild our infrastructure, 2) pay down our debt, and 3) improve our internal security such as passenger screening, border security & Visa management. That's my .02.

I'm just tired of us playing the ever over achieving big brother who drives a BMW but actually lives in a small home with $120,000 in CC debt.
But what about mutual defense alliances like NATO? Is Japan an ally? If NK lobs a nuke at Japan, should we do anything?

Regarding DT's rhetoric toward NK, if in fact Chinese banks are playing ball to shut off funds to NK, it seems that the overall approach toward NK right now is the most effective to date. But we'll see.

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
But what about mutual defense alliances like NATO? Is Japan an ally? If NK lobs a nuke at Japan, should we do anything?

Regarding DT's rhetoric toward NK, if in fact Chinese banks are playing ball to shut off funds to NK, it seems that the overall approach toward NK right now is the most effective to date. But we'll see.
I don't buy it. China thinks long term. The Korean war never ended. China's goal is to get the US out of Asia. They want the Kim Family running all of Korea.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

It's fine to have it in place, but do we need to spend billions if not more on S. Korea and Japan's defense? Let them pay for it. You know me. I'm all about cost. If the S. Koreans or Japanese want us there, let them pay for us to be there and pay all the servicemen and women a bonus for serving in that arena and charge it back to the host countries.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.