Outside Perception of Arkansas

Boss Hog

Sep 22, 2017
Im an Arkansas fan, in case my name didnt give it away. Im trying to get a feel for the perception of our program. What do you guys think about where are program and whete we're headed? Are we on the right track? What are your opinions of Bielema in his time at Arkansas? All feedback is appreciated!

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
I've always respected Arkansas and you guys have given us some good games over the years. I'm not so sure about coach Bielema. It seems like he did well when he brought his Wisconsin type strategy to Arkansas which was heavy on the run. I don't think he's a good recruiter either. I realize y'all don't have a lot of talent to draw from in the state, so it's an uphill battle. He certainly isn't the worst coach in the SEC.
Thanks for stopping by and I wish you well all but one week. Go Hogs and Roll Tide!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
His style of football will always have a chance, but you are going to have to get really lucky to have a chance of a championship with Bielema. So my answer would depend on your expectations. Bielema will consistently produce good football teams, and you will generally be competitive. Is that good enough?

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
He is 10-22 in the SEC. I think Arkansas needs to make a change if he doesn't show improvement this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It's hard to know what to think because he's never really established an identity. It's week to week.
I'll say this---he needs to win this week and so does Kevin Sumlin.
This game could be called the "Employed or Unemployed Bowl".
It's a shame but that's the modern college landscape.

Last edited:

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
He is 10-22 in the SEC. I think Arkansas needs to make a change if he doesn't show improvement this year.

I agree with 1967. Personally I like Bielema but question his offensive philosophy. The "new age offense" requires better athletes than he has been able to recruit. I am not sure how much longer the PTB will accept such mediocre results.

Boss Hog

Sep 22, 2017
It's hard to know what to think because he's never really established an identity. It's week to week.
I'll say this---he needs to win this week and so does Kevin Sumlin.
This game could be called the "Employed or Unemployed Bowl".
It's a shame but that's the modern college landscape.
A&M has dubbed it "The UHaul Bowl"

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
From someone that spent a couple of years living in Jacksonville, Ark. during the 80's and Holtz years, I think they need to make a change. Chip Kelly might be someone that would fit. Arkansas was always the "outlaw" of the old SWC and they could be that way in the SEC.

Tide&True

All-American
Sep 24, 2004
Murfreesboro, TN
I've always had a soft spot for Arkansas. I want them to do well except against the Tide. Bielema doesn't impress me. The best thing he has going is a pretty wife.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I think they need to be in the Big 12, and that leaving the SWC was detrimental to their program. You were living off Texas recruits, much like Oklahoma does, and you lost that by leaving. Of course, you also got away from Texas so I can't blame you for that. But it's hard to make a living being the outlier of the conference. The addition of Texas A&M and Missouri ought to help from a recruiting perspective but it hasn't developed under Beliema. Losing Petrino was a devastating blow to the program. JMO.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
I've always had a soft spot for Arkansas. I want them to do well except against the Tide. Bielema doesn't impress me. The best thing he has going is a pretty wife.

Yeah, but that one thing he did well, he did Really well.
Anyway, his team's at Wisconsin impressed me and when he jumped to Arkansas I expected for them to take LSU place as second best team in the West. Cannot understand why he did not translate well.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
I generally like the Hogs and enjoy their fans. I expected more from Bielema. His defenses have not been as solid as his Badger squads. I think this year could be bad enough that a change occurs. I like to see you guys competitive, beat those arrogant snots from Ole Miss.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think Bielema is installing a program that simply won't work in the SEC like it does for a perennial 8 to 10 win Wisconsin team in the Big Ten. Petrino had the right kind of pro-style for Arkansas. Maybe look to Jeff Brohm?

NBF_Bama_Cavalry

All-American
Dec 2, 2002
Titus, Al, US
www.dixiebikers.com
Seems Bielema and Butch Jones both hit their ceiling at their last stop before wading into the SEC. The SEC is grown man football - the Big 10 and the Big East are not. Bielema only had to face two (sometimes three) powerhouse teams in the Big 10 and he could get lucky and beat them on occasion and hang his hat on beating up on the other schools. Not so easy in the SEC.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Well I like the fact that he and the hogs saved our bacon once or twice on the way to the NC.

I don't know what Arkansas expects from their team. I don't see Arky competing for an SEC title under Beliema unless/until Saban calls it quits. And that really goes for LSU, A&M, Auburn, etc as well. I personally see Arkansas as a once every 5-10yrs contender for an SEC title.

I like Beliema's power philosophy, but it needs a good defense, which he hasn't had. And eventually mediocre recruiting guarantees mediocre results. I was unaware that Arky fans were so disappointed in their coach though.

I also miss having Arky as our SEC opener.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.