Empathy Quotient

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
So far, Earle's score is the only one that has SLIGHTLY surprised me based on what I've seen here.

Everyone else.....I can see it......

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I scored a 16 but almost all of my answers were either slightly agree or slightly disagree and could have gone either way. The questions were all blanket statements and the vast majority were situations where my reaction would be very much dependent upon other situational factors not listed.

Basically, I can be very empathetic if and when I believe someone deserves empathy. If you dug your own hole, however, lie down in it and shut up. :)

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ccc2259

All-American
Oct 29, 2010
Lower Alabama
53 for me.......not surprising. I can always see others' viewpoints (don't always agree, but can easily see it). Frustrates me sometimes that others don't do the same. Seems a bit paradoxical....I can understand others' perspectives, but don't understand why they can't!

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
The questions were all blanket statements and the vast majority were situations where my reaction would be very much dependent upon other situational factors not listed.
Most of the questions require unstated assumptions, and not everyone will answer having made the same set of assumptions. So this test is probably most valid if results from the same person are compared over time, rather than using it as a tool to compare the degree of empathy between people.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
That surprises me. I would have expected a 50 or thereabouts.
I am like uafan. All my responses were slightly agree/disagree. 32 was "don't have Aspergers/autism". Mental issues are on a continuum, should have said " you are close to the edge, seebell"

Interesting thread 1986.

MobtownK

All-American
Nov 20, 2004
Mobile, Alabama, United States
I got a 25. This does not surprise me greatly, I tend to deal with things cerebrally rather than emotionally.

Empathy is not the same as sympathy or compassion though. I know plenty of empathetic people who can be pretty snarky, even downright mean.
Very true. Does seeing hurt animals make me sad? A bit, but I don't cry over aspa commercials. I am compassionate with those I love, and try to help, even if I don't empathize.
Thanks for pointing this out, I was starting to wonder if I'm a heartless human being :)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I scored pretty dang low and didn't expect it really. It's not that I have NO empathy or that I can't try and put myself in other's shoes..... but rather that I just can't understand WHY someone thinks a certain way from within a situation that is so opposite of my core beliefs and thoughts.

I also have an INFJ personality based on the Myers-Briggs Type indicator. Basically I'm extremely introverted with high levels of intuition and feelings but with this brings HIGH levels of social anxiety. So even though I CAN read body language and pick up on cues and DO feel for others.... I have NO idea how to truly react properly on a consistent basis comfortably other than to mimic others. But I don't enjoy 'faking it' so I'm often awkwardly blunt. It's physically exhausting for me to interact with others.

I also prefer others to 'get to the point' and be blunt with me. Nothing drives me crazier than 'chit-chat' and vague hints. I prefer one-on-one situations to group/crowds as well. That way I can try to focus on that person and delve into meaningful discussion. A crowd is too much information overload for me to process.

I really do puzzle myself to the point of my own frustration. I'm a walking contradiction really and don't play well with others despite caring very much??

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Looks like this is the wrong crowd to drop hints around.
That's funny you say that. One of the girls that worked for me at my current job left because we hired a former employee to help with our billings. When she and I had an exit interview, she said that she hinted that she could do the job without having to hire help. I looked at her and said "Hint? You've worked with me at two different companies for over 7 years. You know you don't hint to me, you just have to tell me directly." She laughed and acknowledged it. Hated to lose her and would hire her back in a heartbeat.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
That's funny you say that. One of the girls that worked for me at my current job left because we hired a former employee to help with our billings. When she and I had an exit interview, she said that she hinted that she could do the job without having to hire help. I looked at her and said "Hint? You've worked with me at two different companies for over 7 years. You know you don't hint to me, you just have to tell me directly." She laughed and acknowledged it. Hated to lose her and would hire her back in a heartbeat.
I've had similar conversations with my wife.

uafanataum

All-American
Oct 18, 2014
My wife tried the same thing the first few years of our marriage. She has atleadt halfway given up on dropping hints now as I never receive hints the same way she expects me to. Only six years in to halfway there. So maybe after 12 years she will be as blunt as I am?

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I've had similiar conversations with many an Ex-Girlfriend.

I don't know why...but in my experiences they all have had the most difficult time just saying what's really on their mind. It's somehow easier to be vague, 'hint' at issues, and generally be passive aggressive.

So yeah I have trouble with that....lol.

Last edited:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
My wife tried the same thing the first few years of our marriage. She has atleadt halfway given up on dropping hints now as I never receive hints the same way she expects me to. Only six years in to halfway there. So maybe after 12 years she will be as blunt as I am?
Probably not. I've been married 27 years, and the hints and silent expectations still occur.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.