I'm worried about Tua

Status
Not open for further replies.

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Dude just stop with this Tua stuff. He looked okay in mop up duty. If CNS thought he should be the starter then he would be the starter. If you have a problem with that then go ask CNS at the Hey Coach show and he can enlighten you and us about why things are what they are. Otherwise accept the truth JALEN IS OUR QB!!!!

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011
Please do not come down hard on me for posting this, but
apparently we are about to confront the dilemma of having two quarterbacks one year apart, both of whom whom may be better than any Bama QB in our lifetimes.
It might be premature to say that. But my gosh, what sort of frosh plays like that with a couple of quarters experience? And why in the world would Tua sit until his senior year?
This is a real problem. We can't just ignore it like it doesn't exist. I'm afraid other schools are going to start recruiting this kid.
How do we keep them both? Can't we just play both of them?
Get a prescription for Xanax.You will enjoy the season much more.

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
So honestly, this didn't cross your mind today as you watched that game?
It crossed my mind we'd have another one of these unnecessary threads. Why not just relax and remember a great game our team had?
As soon as I finished celebrating the play where Tua channeled his inner Manziel, I immediately checked the Football forum to see whether the "Tua should start" guy, i.e., JaxTider, had already started another thread.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
He has to stay at least this year, crazy to transfer in season.SO I will watch and see how much we play him, and worry about this at years end, when it may be a real issue. Hopefully he stays and gets a few rings.
Tua is not likely to transfer. His family moved from Hawaii to Alabama. Tua's younger brother is also a hotshot QB who want's to play at Alabama also. If you think Jalen is good, wait till next year... If you think Tua is good wait till next year.

Today I saw Tua start to relax and he looked poised and confident. What a dilemma to have. :)
Since Tua is only one play away from starting... I want him to be that good. I hope Jalen and Tua have an injury free tenure at Alabama. Together these guys make our future look bright. Together they will make a fantastic recruiting tool for Alabama. What high school senior receiver wouldn't want to play for Alabama with two hotshot Quarterbacks handling the ball.

Last edited:

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
The problem with this thread is the timing. Tua looked great and there may come a day when Jalen struggles and somebody will ask if Tua is ready to compete for the starting job. But that day is not today. I think it's very unlikely Tua is going to transfer any time soon. He is four games into his freshman year and he is getting playing time. Why would he be unhappy?

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Well they said Jalen was on the sideline cheering just as hard as he could for Tua when he was put in the game. Jalen was wanting him to shine, and he did. I gotta feeling these two are good buddies and Jalen wants Tua to have as much success as possible and they've probably have a good relationship off the field. I believe Tua stays. I'm not to worried about it. But, off hand, if he leaves, he leaves. Next man up.

Saban4Ever

All-American
Sep 27, 2016
Cobb County GA
Tua is not likely to transfer. His family moved from Hawaii to Alabama. Tua's younger brother is also a hotshot QB who want's to play at Alabama also. If you think Jalen is good, wait till next year... If you think Tua is good wait till next year.

Today I saw Tua start to relax and he looked poised and confident. What a dilemma to have. :)
Since Tua is only one play away from starting... I want him to be that good. I hope Jalen and Tua have an injury free tenure at Alabama. Together these guys make our future look bright. Together they will make a fantastic recruiting tool for Alabama. What high school senior receiver wouldn't want to play for Alabama with two hotshot Quarterbacks handling the ball.
I hope both Jalen and Tua stay and improve also. They can compete, support, and learn from each other. It is great to have 2 competent QB's. I am not sure how Mac Jones will progress. I know UGA has the same issue, 2 really good QB's. I think we will meet them in the SEC Champ game if we win the West. Kirby already has them looking similar to us.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
On a side note, Arizona State upset Oregon and a certain transfer QB of theirs had nothing to do with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Please do not come down hard on me for posting this, but

apparently we are about to confront the dilemma of having two quarterbacks one year apart, both of whom whom may be better than any Bama QB in our lifetimes.

It might be premature to say that. But my gosh, what sort of frosh plays like that with a couple of quarters experience? And why in the world would Tua sit until his senior year?

This is a real problem. We can't just ignore it like it doesn't exist. I'm afraid other schools are going to start recruiting this kid.

How do we keep them both? Can't we just play both of them?
C'mon man.

There's so much fretful misinformation here I don't know where to start.

Maybe later...

JaxTider

Suspended
Jan 10, 2017
For the record, I want to make one correction. I have never once stated in any post that I think Jalen should be benched right now and Tua should start.

As for saying Tua should play, I am obviously not referring to the normal mop up duty that any backup gets. I feel Tua should receive meaningful snaps in every game regardless of score. And my reasoning is because there may come a time, later in the year when he is needed. And I don't mean needed due to injury. I mean needed because our offense is struggling.

So to respond that "Tua is already playing" does not addrsss the issue.

Flashback to the national championship game. We managed 2 series, in the entire game, of more than 5 plays. We turned the ball over so quickly that Clemson had 99 offensive plays, wore out any defense. Oh, and our defense, earlier in the game, cause 2 turnovers on Clemson's side of the field. The offense managed 3 points for it.

Now look at Tua, particularly on the play to Smith. Tua's head is on a swivel. He is under duress from the left and from the right and spins directly into pressure Yet, with one of the quickest releases one will ever see, in a split second, he identifies the correct receiver and snaps a perfectly accurate ball out.

At the risk of prompting more ridicule, I will site Trent Dilfer's assessment of Tua, that he is an Aaron Rogers type talent. Quoting, he said

"He is a unique, when I say unique prospect a unique prospect. He throws the ball with the combination of the quickness and compact delivery, and his accuracy and his arm strength, his ability to change speeds, his eyes, his feet..."

So Tua needs to be developed now. Now. Not for the 2020 season. This will allow us to select or QBs situationally,much like a baseball manager selects a startling pitcher, considering the matchup, the defense being faced, score, down and distance.

It is a risky proposition, but imo it enhances our ability to respond to that which we are likely to face in December and later.

And I might add, this approach can work both ways. There will certainty be times when Jalen is the better bet.

One concluding thought. I might be that Tua isn't ready. Perhaps further playing time reveals that he is prone to mistakes or lacks the poise that experience brings, Playing him more has the possibility of upsetting continuity and robbing Jalen of live action experience and possibly the confidence that comes with knowing he is the unquestioned starter. But last years experience shows that it is a risk worth taking.

Last edited:

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
For the record, I want to make one correction. I have never once stated in any post that I think Jalen should be benched right now and Tua should start.

As for saying Tua should play, I am obviously not referring to the normal mop up duty that any backup gets. I feel Tua should receive meaningful snaps in every game regardless of score. And my reasoning is because there may come a time, later in the year when he is needed. And I don't mean needed due to injury. I mean needed because our offense is struggling.

Flashback to the national championship game. We managed 2 series, in the entire game, of more than 5 plays. We turned the ball over so quickly that Clemson had 99 offensive plays, wore out any defense. Oh, and our defense, earlier in the game, cause 2 turnovers on Clemson's side of the field. The offense managed 3 points for it.

Now look at Tua, particularly on the play to Juedy, Tua's head is on a swivel. He is under duress from the left and from the right and spins directly into pressure Yet, with one of the quickest releases one will ever see, in a split second, he identifies the correct receiver and snaps a perfectly accurate ball out.

At the risk of prompting more ridicule, I will site Trent Dilfer's assessment of Tua, that he is an Aaron Rogers type talent. Quoting, he said

"He is a unique, when I say unique prospect a unique prospect. He throws the ball with the combination of the quickness and compact delivery, and his accuracy and his arm strength, his ability to change speeds, his eyes, his feet..."

So Tua needs to be developed now. Now. Not for the 2020 season. This will allow us to select or QBs situationally,much like a baseball manager selects a startling pitcher, considering the matchup, the defense being faced, score, down and distance.

It is a risky proposition, but imo it enhances our ability to respond to that which we are likely to face in December and later.

And I might add, this approach can work both ways. There will certainty be times when Jalen is the better bet.

One concluding thought. I might be that Tua isn't ready. Perhaps further playing time reveals that he is prone to mistakes or lacks the poise that experience brings, Playing him more has the possibility of upsetting continuity and robbing Jalen of live action experience and possibly the confidence that comes with knowing he is the unquestioned starter. But last years experience shows that it is a risk worth taking.
I bet you were a Michigan fan in 1999 blowing up their boards about how talented Drew Henson was compared to their "other" quarterback ( can't remember what Brady it was... Greg? Wayne?James?) that was an accomplished started. ;) *** blue font****

Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Now look at Tua, particularly on the play to Juedy, Tua's head is on a swivel. He is under duress from the left and from the right and spins directly into pressure Yet, with one of the quickest releases one will ever see, in a split second, he identifies the correct receiver and snaps a perfectly accurate ball out.

Dude....just...stop. Please, just stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.