Is SEC really down

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
AP still has 6 teams in top 25, I know we are not as strong a conference as a few years ago, but 6 in top 25 after 4 weeks is not to bad.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
The people that say that are basing it one thing.....

LSU is down....otherwise, everything is virtually the same.....except that we no longer have Johnny Football or Hugh Freeze funking up the conference.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Compared to the previous decade - absolutely. Compared to the other P5 conferences right now? No.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
UGA seems to be coming on...AU may...not sure. Other than that we are pretty weak. UT not a factor...UF has no offense...USCeast -- no offense...OM -- no defense...LSU -- no brains.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
Everybody already fired their coaches except for Mullen. Once Gus and Kevin go, no one will have ever beaten Saban as head coach. Hard to get coaches that want to be in the shadow of greatness year in year out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
It's hard to know in my opinion. Don't feel like I've seen a lot of great football being played this season. It could be that I know nothing about football or am letting the talking heads influence my thought but it feels like all of college football is down this year.

Georgia was very convincing against MSU....that's really all the SEC is offering outside of Bama.

lowend

All-SEC
Feb 20, 2005
I think I saw a stat that there have been 34 coaching changes in the SEC during Saban's tenure at Bama. As I've posted in a thread before, there's nowhere to go but down when you replace Spurrier, Meyer, Richt, Miles, Fulmer, Tuberville, Rich Brooks, and Bobby Johnson with the people there now, some of which are getting on the job training.

CoastGhost

Suspended
Sep 5, 2009
North Carolina
One or two seasons away from return to dominance. Who is better? The Texas league still has no defense in sight but racking up points on each other; Urban in Wonderland is stinking up the place and Hairball is one decent challenge away from a loss. PAC12 has a couple of contenders as does the ACC. It all seems pretty even to me. Bama and Georgia look like they can play with anybody. Tier 2 might be a little soft but that seems true in all the conferences. The Barn, Florida and Mittippi Tate still have some horsepower.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I also feel that maybe the rest of SEC is not so much down but BAMA is just so much better that they look weaker compared to us. I mean some of the others would do fine in ACC BIG10 etc.

BamaBrass

Suspended
Feb 14, 2004
Ringgold, GA
Yes we are. Relatively speaking, the only league that has improved over the last 3-4 years has been the ACC. The Big 12-2 is comical, the B1G is about the same, and the PAC12 only has 2-3 worthy teams. The SEC has gone from 6-7 worthy teams to 3-4.

LSUgrad2BamaDad

All-SEC
May 5, 2016
Destrehan, LA
I do think the level of play has diminished in the SEC overall compared to where it was 5-10 years ago. Questions I have for y'all is do you think Bama is better now than in 2011? Are all of the other teams dropping off while Bama is maintaining, or is Bama just getting that much better?

trenda

Hall of Fame
May 17, 2000
Hendersonville, TN USA
On the one hand, Vandy beat a (then) ranked Kansas State team. On the other hand, we beat Vandy 59-0.

So you could argue for depth because of the Vandy win; but yesterday showed that there is a HUGE gap between Bama and the rest of the SEC.

GA looked pretty good slamming an MSU team that clobbered LSU. Auburn hung with Clemson for a while but struggled with UMASS. Florida is winning by the skin of their teeth against mediocre competition and failed miserably against UM.

I agree with others, CNS has pretty much sucked the air out of the SEC room. I think we actually need GA to have a strong season to make the SEC CG a really big game. We will/may need it for a couple of reasons: to sharpen us up and to strengthen our SOS.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I do think the level of play has diminished in the SEC overall compared to where it was 5-10 years ago. Questions I have for y'all is do you think Bama is better now than in 2011? Are all of the other teams dropping off while Bama is maintaining, or is Bama just getting that much better?
I agree that overall the SEC is worse now than fie years ago.

I'm not sure where Bama is now compared to 2011 - I think we'll have to wait to see what this team becomes to really tell, but on paper this team has more upside.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
I would suggest the coaching isn’t better and this has affected the play on the field. Only a few teams have upgraded-UF, MSU & UK. Only time will tell if UGA made the right decision. Look at who left and then who replaced them-
Spurrier- Mushchamp

Dooley- Jones- wash

Petrino-Bielema- I thought this would’ve been an upgrade but it hasn’t record wise.

Miles- Orgeron

Mushchamp- McElwain (upgrade)

Philips- Stoops

Franklin- Mason- I think this is a wash, especially with the shape Franklin left it in.

Richt- Smart- I think this will pay off for UGA. Time will tell.

Chizik- Malzahn- this has been a wash, IMO.

Freeze- Luke

Can’t remember Mizzou’s replacement off hand but he’s been a disaster.

What this shows , in my opinion, is that most schools replaced their HCs with worse ones or kept the status quo at best. We have a lot of 8-4 type of HCs or worse in the SEC right now.
It’s showing on the field with the quality of play.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.