Question: Did getting our linebackers back right the ship?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
That's because teams can't run on us, so they pass more than they do on other teams. Therefore, we see it happen more to us than other teams.
Yep, and Ole Miss doesn't even pretend to have a running game. They will try to throw the ball 50+ times in this game. Their real problem - they can't stop the run this year. You could easily have a 400+ yard rushing game with 35+ minutes time of possession this week.

You are going to smash Ole Miss as long as you take what the defense gives you - over and over and over again.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Evans is a beast and a leader on defense. He made a big difference. Wilson is still getting his sea legs, but he will be the same way. Mosley has done well, so I don't think the addition of Jennings had a huge impact since depth was not necessarily needed this week.

I think that the combination of hitting conference play, having people say that Bama was mediocre on D this year, and focus from having a mission to shut up trash talkers did it. Defense was on a mission and I hope it carries over to the rest of the season. Focus does it every time.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I’m sure it helped in this game, but I don’t think we ever can measure ourselves accurately against Vanderbilt. Let’s see what happens against Ole Miss and some of the other competition that actually have some players before we make that determination.

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
I think we will really see next week when we play a different style of offense. Vandy's pro-set is right in our defensive breadbasket. We will see next week if our defense will be able to demonstrate a similar ability against a more hurry-up offense. I do agree that running the ball effectively is the best cure for our defense against hurry-up offenses as well.
Yeah, this. It helped, I'm sure, but Vandy's offense is pretty much our dream offense to defend: they run the stalest of the stale pro sets with not a lot of talent. That's more or less asking to get shut out by a Bama defense, even one having a bit of a down year.

RT27

All-American
Aug 13, 2017
I think them being back and us looking pretty bad just kind of all came together for a good game.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
Yep, and Ole Miss doesn't even pretend to have a running game. They will try to throw the ball 50+ times in this game. Their real problem - they can't stop the run this year. You could easily have a 400+ yard rushing game with 35+ minutes time of possession this week.

You are going to smash Ole Miss as long as you take what the defense gives you - over and over and over again.
And I think Coach Daboll will do just that.

Ledsteplin

Hall of Fame
Nov 20, 2013
Florence, Alabama
It definitely helped in the Vandy game. But the first team will most likely need help from back ups against more formidable offenses. Hopefully, all the experimenting in game 2 and 3 has given the coaches an idea of who can step in and be productive when first teamers need a rest. A good pass rush will be neccessary against Ole Miss. Hopefully, that goes well.

Probius

Hall of Fame
Mar 19, 2004
Birmingham, Alabama
I think having our LB's back helped, but so did a strong running game and ball control. Vandy had the ball for less than 20 minutes and ran half the number of plays Bama did.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
We played a complete game -- not a perfect game. No such animal in sport. What I want to see is how we respond the week after such a game...do we keep trending upward or do we relax? This will tell us a lot about our DNA.

If you're not having fun now...this is exciting!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.