NFL players respect the English anthem but not the American anthem..

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
The Brits did enjoy the fruits of slave labor and shipped thousands upon thousands upon thousands of Africans to the Americas for over two hundred years. I believe it was Elizabeth I who sponsored initial slaving efforts. But hey, God save the Queen.
Most of these NFL guys probably skated through high school and college without much studying, so they aren't really familiar with any history that isn't taught on twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
This fractured country has been talking past itself rather than to itself for a very long time, and look where it's gotten us. If you aren't willing to at least try and understand why someone feels the way they do, then you'll never be part of the solution. This doesn't only apply to you.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
This fractured country has been talking past itself rather than to itself for a very long time, and look where it's gotten us. If you aren't willing to at least try and understand why someone feels the way they do, then you'll never be part of the solution. This doesn't only apply to you.
hell, i have the empathy skills of a cyborg and even i understand this.

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
We no longer see other human beings as human beings, but as competitors, adversaries, and threats.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i thought this was a good op-ed by eric reid about why he decided to join kapernick last year

nyt op-ed

It should go without saying that I love my country and I’m proud to be an American. But, to quote James Baldwin, “exactly for this reason, I insist on the right to criticize her perpetually.”

I can’t find words that appropriately express how heartbroken I am to see the constant smears against Colin, a person who helped start the movement with only the very best of intentions. We are talking about a man who helped to orchestrate a commercial planeful of food and supplies for famine-stricken Somalia. A man who has invested his time and money into needy communities here at home. A man I am proud to call my brother, who should be celebrated for his courage to seek change on important issues. Instead, to this day, he is unemployed and portrayed as a radical un-American who wants to divide our country.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
i dont have a problem with someone having issues about the players not standing. that is your right. But to say they hate the country, or soldiers make you look ignorant. well actually just flat out dumb.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Most of these NFL guys probably skated through high school and college without much studying, so they aren't really familiar with any history that isn't taught on twitter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been very proud of the way Saban has elevated the academic standards of the team since he arrived. If your not familiar with the progress he's made, check it out, you might be encouraged. Multiple former Bama players have participated in the protest, and I give them credit for possibly understanding an issue as well as anyone else. I've never walked a mile in their shoes, so perhaps they understand some things better than me.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I'm not against the kneeling (personally, if you are going to kneel, then why don't you just stay in the locker room until the Nat'l Anthem is done?) just merely annoyed, the problem I have is those NFL players who decide to take it up a notch and throw in a Black Panther fist salute. Get that crap out of here.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
i thought this was a good op-ed by eric reid about why he decided to join kapernick last year

nyt op-ed
I appreciate Reid's time and effort to write this article. It was helpful, and I hope people take the time to read it. However, he briefly touches on something that I still find confusing. And that is the whole concept of white privilege. Yesterday I watched a video of a press conference Greg Popavich (HC of the San Antonio Spurs) did in which he went on for 10 minutes or so on this topic. He mentioned white privilege, and how it is an uncomfortable thing for white people to face, but we have to face it. He then went on to state that, according to the latest literature, "whiteness" isn't even a thing. We just made it up. Huh? Is he referring to culture or what?

I'm doing my best to understand the other side, and their point of view. And by other side I mean everyone who is protesting. Yet I can't help getting the feeling that their minds have been made up, and there will be no actual dialogue here. As someone else asked earlier, what is our measure of success here? What has to happen? Frankly I am curious as to how we are going to defeat this white privilege business. I don't want to see anyone held back or discriminated against because of their skin color. Popavich stated we (white people) are going to have to give up our place in society or something similar. What does that mean exactly?

A lot of questions and maybe this isn't the place to ask them.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I'm not against the kneeling (personally, if you are going to kneel, then why don't you just stay in the locker room until the Nat'l Anthem is done?) just merely annoyed, the problem I have is those NFL players who decide to take it up a notch and throw in a Black Panther fist salute. Get that crap out of here.
so many gestures to object to...hard to keep up...I remember a while back when Laura Ingram was criticized for making the black power, raised fist salute on stage somewhere. Only thing, she forgot to ball her fingers up to form a fist, instead her fingers were all at attention like good little Nazis, so here we went...

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
The Brits did enjoy the fruits of slave labor and shipped thousands upon thousands upon thousands of Africans to the Americas for over two hundred years. I believe it was Elizabeth I who sponsored initial slaving efforts. But hey, God save the Queen.
That has nothing to do with what they are protesting but you can feel free to sit or kneel during God Save the Queen from now on if you'd like

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
I appreciate Reid's time and effort to write this article. It was helpful, and I hope people take the time to read it. However, he briefly touches on something that I still find confusing. And that is the whole concept of white privilege. Yesterday I watched a video of a press conference Greg Popavich (HC of the San Antonio Spurs) did in which he went on for 10 minutes or so on this topic. He mentioned white privilege, and how it is an uncomfortable thing for white people to face, but we have to face it. He then went on to state that, according to the latest literature, "whiteness" isn't even a thing. We just made it up. Huh? Is he referring to culture or what?

I'm doing my best to understand the other side, and their point of view. And by other side I mean everyone who is protesting. Yet I can't help getting the feeling that their minds have been made up, and there will be no actual dialogue here. As someone else asked earlier, what is our measure of success here? What has to happen? Frankly I am curious as to how we are going to defeat this white privilege business. I don't want to see anyone held back or discriminated against because of their skin color. Popavich stated we (white people) are going to have to give up our place in society or something similar. What does that mean exactly?

Asking these kinds of questions is great. We need to understand each other better if we want to have real and productive conversations about race (which is necessary IMO). I would also like to understand your side/the side of those who are strongly against the protests better. TideFans isn't really a great place for the kind of detail and nuance that is needed to answer those questions but I can find and share some good readings about your questions if you'd like.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I appreciate Reid's time and effort to write this article. It was helpful, and I hope people take the time to read it. However, he briefly touches on something that I still find confusing. And that is the whole concept of white privilege.
I understand the concept of white privilege while at the same time I understand our country is becoming less predominately white with time.

When I was young and foolish, as a student in Tuscaloosa, I wore my hair long. I was clean cut in high school, and had never felt like I was a target for police to pull over. But with my long hair, what do you know, it became common to get pulled over for improper lane changing or a faulty tail light. I had forfeited the benefit of a doubt with many police or in other words, I no longer enjoyed white privilege.
After finishing school, and joining the real word, I again became clean cut. The problem with being pulled over all the time went away.
I'm suggesting a black person feels like a target of police much the same way as I did, only they can't simply get a haircut. And yes, I think statistics support the argument that black people are more prone to traffic stops than white people.

That's a silly and shallow example, but I typed it out, so I hope it's at least half-way coherent.

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama

Some of then hold the kambon buggin' out standard.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
I understand the concept of white privilege while at the same time I understand our country is becoming less predominately white with time.

When I was young and foolish, as a student in Tuscaloosa, I wore my hair long. I was clean cut in high school, and had never felt like I was a target for police to pull over. But with my long hair, what do you know, it became common to get pulled over for improper lane changing or a faulty tail light. I had forfeited the benefit of a doubt with many police or in other words, I no longer enjoyed white privilege.
After finishing school, and joining the real word, I again became clean cut. The problem with being pulled over all the time went away.
I'm suggesting a black person feels like a target of police much the same way as I did, only they can't simply get a haircut. And yes, I think statistics support the argument that black people are more prone to traffic stops than white people.

That's a silly and shallow example, but I typed it out, so I hope it's at least half-way coherent.
I would think a clean cut black man would get a pass before one with dreads. Good or bad, how you choose to present yourself affects how others perceive you. How you dress, how you act toward others all matters. All that said however with some cops it is obvious all that matters is race or social status.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.