NFL players respect the English anthem but not the American anthem..

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
What? Why would they kneel during the British anthem? They are making a point about issues going on in their own country. I'm sure they didn't put their hand over their heart for "God Save the Queen" but I don't understand why the players NOT protesting the British anthem is surprising.

Last edited:

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
What? Why would they kneel during the British anthem? They are making a point about issues going on in their own country. I'm sure they didn't put their hand over their haert for "God Save the Queen" but I don't understand why their NOT protesting the British anthem in surprising.
Remember, many Trump supporters were not bothered when he mocked McCain for being captured, or when he went after the Gold Star family. Logic is out the window these days.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I'll be really glad when all this is over. I'm not sure how success will be measured, but it has to end at some point doesn't it?

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
Remember, many Trump supporters were not bothered when he mocked McCain for being captured, or when he went after the Gold Star family. Logic is out the window these days.
I don't even want to use that angle of debate. I just don't understand how standing for a nation's anthem that they have no opinion of GUARANTEES that they hate the U.S. To kneel for that anthem would be to protest that country and whatever specific laws or trends they disagree with....but they don't live there or have opinions about the goings on of that particular country so it makes sense to just stand around and wait to actually protest the anthem of your own country.

I imagine one guy kneeling for "God Save the Queen" and afterwards NBC is like,
"Before the game, we couldn't help but notice your protest of the British national anthem. Was that intentional?"
"Erm - yah - uh, Brexit was like, super racist towards like, um - Muslims and Polish people. So I'm standing up for equality."
"Mhhmm, but you do know that Mulslims aren't a race and you actually 'knelt' for equality?"
"I'm -uh - just trying to use my platform to advance you know - social justice on like - uh - like - uh - like a global scale, that's all."
"Back to you Fernando."

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I don't even want to use that angle of debate.
How about this angle...The President encouraging people be fired and labeled as SOBs if they don't act as he prefers seems to indicate either ignorance or disdain for our Constitution.

An NFL union guy should ask Trump what his suggestion would be for a more effective way to bring attention to police on black violence.

pcfixup

Suspended
Feb 2, 2005
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
There is a kind of irony
  • If the English did not have an overshoot between 1400-1600 They may have stayed in Europe, so no colonization, and no slavery.
  • England was an adversary of the US until WWI, and would have supported the south in the Civil War if it had been viable.

tidegrandpa

All-American
How about this angle...The President encouraging people be fired and labeled as SOBs if they don't act as he prefers seems to indicate either ignorance or disdain for our Constitution.

An NFL union guy should ask Trump what his suggestion would be for a more effective way to bring attention to police on black violence.
Jesus, been listening to this tripe my whole life, known, hired, befriended, cried with, laughed with, traveled with many black and black family. Even got instructor of year at Vigor High, Prichard, AL (high majority black) in 70's .
Never once saw this without a cause. I try to make a habit of not blindly repeating what "I've heard" without seeing for myself.
Sorry, agree to disagree.

bama2112

All-American
Nov 19, 2006
Cobb County, Ga.

s

Come on now, what percent of crimes are committed by blacks. If the athletes want to change it then donate 90% of their salary to intercity schools and crime prevention. If those idiots want to lie on their face during the national athem let them.. I dont watch one minute of NFL so let the act like them fools with money they are.

And Trump should just let them act like the idiots they are and please take his cell phone away from him .

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
From "God Save the Queen" to black crime in America in less than a page. Sort of impressive.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I read that the NFL rulebook states that players will stand and hold their helmets at their side and keep silence while the anthem is being played/sung. I guess they are so afraid of being called racist, bigoted and insensitive that they ignore their own rule. Kind of like the liberals do our border.

The National Anthem must be played prior to every NFL game, and all players must be on the sideline for the National Anthem.
During the National Anthem, players on the field and bench area should stand at attention, face the flag, hold helmets in their left hand, and refrain from talking. The home team should ensure that the American flag is in good condition. It should be pointed out to players and coaches that we continue to be judged by the public in this area of respect for the flag and our country. Failure to be on the field by the start of the National Anthem may result in discipline, such as fines, suspensions, and/or the forfeiture of draft choice(s) for violations of the above, including first offenses.

http://time.com/4955704/nfl-league-rulebook-a62-63-national-anthem-rule/

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
From "God Save the Queen" to black crime in America in less than a page. Sort of impressive.

And without any encouragement from some guy in Texas!

OK, since the game was in London......................(this is a real stretch, but it will lighten things up)................

London cabbies have to take a test, called "The Knowledge" (or summik lahk that, guv), where they have to be able to quickly and accurately come up with the best way from point A to point B.

So, one puerile Brit comic book (don't ask how I know this!) mocked it by asking a prospective cabbie to do the same, except in a conversation.

It went something like................

"OK, Mr. Smut, how do you get from 'the Spice Girls' to 'Enoch Powell', in 5 sentences?"
"Cor, blimey, guv............Spice Girls to Enoch Powell.............that's a tuff'un."

(Now everyone has to Google Enoch Powell! That ought to be good for at least 3 more pages.) :biggrin2:

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
What? Why would they kneel during the British anthem? They are making a point about issues going on in their own country. I'm sure they didn't put their hand over their heart for "God Save the Queen" but I don't understand why the players NOT protesting the British anthem is surprising.
Well, if they don't feel like proper citizens in their own country, you'd think they'd stand during the National Anthem...being foreigners and all.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Wait, why would the protest "God Save the Queen"?
The Brits did enjoy the fruits of slave labor and shipped thousands upon thousands upon thousands of Africans to the Americas for over two hundred years. I believe it was Elizabeth I who sponsored initial slaving efforts. But hey, God save the Queen.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Jesus, been listening to this tripe my whole life, known, hired, befriended, cried with, laughed with, traveled with many black and black family. Even got instructor of year at Vigor High, Prichard, AL (high majority black) in 70's .
Never once saw this without a cause. I try to make a habit of not blindly repeating what "I've heard" without seeing for myself.
Sorry, agree to disagree.
There have quite a few blatant examples in the national news in the past three or four years. That's what the kneeling is about, in my understanding. As this means enough to people I respect, such as CJ Mosley, that he feels the need to do it... it has prompted me to try to understand that side of the issue.

Bama Torch in Pcola

Hall of Fame
Dec 18, 2002
The players have allowed themselves to be manipulated by the media. The sensationalistic news accounts of all these shootings were designed to do this very thing, tear us apart. How do you keep a group of people down? Convince them that they have no chance. Convince them that the people protecting them are their enemies.

This has been orchestrated from the beginning. And it's been done by the people who claim to be the most progressive among us.

There are no facts to suggest that black people are targeted by police any more than any other demographic. None. We have only the putrid sensationalism of a dogmatic press. And the word of professional race baiters con artists.

If we are going to have a conversation about how our police are much too aggressive these days towards all people, then yes. i am all for it.

It is not what the players are doing that bothers me. If their cause was just I would be right there with them. The fact that they buy this crap without question is what bothers me. And no one is interested in getting at the truth of it.

It breaks my heart to see us so easily manipulated.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.