So Disappointed in Mark Ingram

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017
Re: So Dissapointed in Mark Ingram

both the bolded text and the related idea that black lives matter is mostly about "disrespecting, hating and harming the police" are very purposeful messages that have been repeated ad nauseam.

john oliver's show this week had a nice little montage of megan kelly doing just that.
For sure, but we need to be better about combating those both by drawing attention to it and finding a way to market our own ideas better. I think we tend to be dismissive of or have irrational reactions to these tricks instead of facing them head on in a more productive way.

I saw the Last Week Tonight episode you are talking about and that whole thing was absolutely disgusting. I can't stand Megan Kelly and that montage made me dislike her even more.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL

Saw this last night and was thinking about posting it as well. This is pretty great though and I hope people who disagree will watch it.
Same here. Being that he is my #1 favorite all-time player, a phenomenal ambassador of the UA, and a great role model for kids, I follow Mark Ingram on twitter and keep up with him in general.

He re-tweeted this video on his feed and after I watched it I was very tempted to post it as well. I chose not to because I generally like to stay out of topics here with a divisive political nature and/or especially with racial undertones or racial overtones.

So yeah I don't post much on this side. But I've been using extreme personal restraint with this 1 thread in particular.

Thank you for sharing it CA.....many people really do NEED to watch this vid.....and think about it HARD....and ask themselves some tough questions looking in the mirror.

Last edited:

RollTide_HTTR

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2017

https://www.google.com/search?clien...ce=browser-type&qsubts=1506534632376&devloc=0

I can't post links from my phone. Follow the URL to see what Kaepernick really said:

Fyi - he said he refuses to respect the flag. His word, FLAG. He always choose it this way, so can we stop misrepresenting what he said and did.
I don't know what interview was the original so I posted a few things below. I think while the flag is clearly part of the protest he and now the other players are not "protesting the flag." It is more that the flag represents ideals for our country that our country isn't currently meeting. That is why the language of saying he is protesting the flag or the anthem is at best disingenuous. It also, IMO, is a way to oversimplify his/their concerns to a point that makes the protest objectionable before hearing the detail and context. So, yes he used the word "flag" but I think its clear from his and others comments that it isn't about "the flag" but instead a much bigger issue.

Here is the NFL.com post on it which has a couple of quotes from Kaep as well. Here is the main quote

"I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color," Kaepernick told NFL Media in an exclusive interview after the game. "To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder."
Here is the transcript of his interview with ESPN and a quote from it

So many people see the flag as a symbol of the military. How do you view it and what do you say to those people?
CK: I have great respect for the men and women that have fought for this country. I have family, I have friends that have gone and fought for this country. And they fight for freedom, they fight for the people, they fight for liberty and justice, for everyone. That's not happening. People are dying in vain because this country isn't holding their end of the bargain up, as far as giving freedom and justice, liberty to everybody. That's something that's not happening. I've seen videos, I've seen circumstances where men and women that have been in the military have come back and been treated unjustly by the country they have fought for, and have been murdered by the country they fought for, on our land. That's not right.
Here is Ed Reid's op ed in the NYT about why he joined the protest and a quote from it

It baffles me that our protest is still being misconstrued as disrespectful to the country, flag and military personnel. We chose it because it’s exactly the opposite. It has always been my understanding that the brave men and women who fought and died for our country did so to ensure that we could live in a fair and free society, which includes the right to speak out in protest.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Wait, since when have people not reacted negatively to burning flag? I think this assumption is simply wrong. It's just that the commie is probably unemployed so there is nothing to boycott. Let a football player burn a flag in protest and see if people care more or less about that than kneeling. I am betting more, I bet the owner and goodell would not even try to defend him. The conduct detrimentalto the league clause would be invoked and he's be outta here. No comparison.

Sure, people react negatively. They don't typically react as strongly as they have in this instance. Desecration is worse than dishonor, but the backlash has been markedly more severe to the NFL than the organizations that have taken it a step further. I would certainly hope that the NFL would respond with an immediate railroading involving public desecration of a Flag while in uniform.

I got my question answered a little further up with the whole emotional investment in their teams. We'll have to disagree that the comparison holds no value.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I spent the day with my father. I asked him about all this. He is a Vietnam veteran and one of the most patriotic folks I have ever been around. He was happy about how the Cowboys handled it and very displeased overall with how the rest of the league is responding. This was not surprising to me.

The main takeaway that I got from him was bringing up how the MLB strike lost baseball to the nation. He told me that the NFL had better be careful because the national pastime was replaced with football when they went too far and irritated people just enough, and the NFL is trending in that direction.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
If I am driving along the road and someone cuts me off, I decide to shoot him the bird. He pulls over and we discuss. He says, how dare you shoot me the bird? I say, I wasn't shooting you the bird, I was letting yiu know I dont like your unsafe and selfish driving. He says, you weren't letting me know you don't like my driving, you were just being rude SOB. I say, well, I am using a gesture that you might call rude, but I see it as communication of a deeper point, that you drive badly and cut me off, so therefore it's not rude any more. Who's right?

Answer: they are both half right, but mainly they are both half wrong. What is happening is I communicated what I thought about his driving BY shooting the bird. It's one act with two meanings. One is "you drive badly" and yhe other is "screw you." I used one meaningful act as a vehicle for the other.

Of course the decision to protest during the anthem is a vehicle for a deeper message. But that doesn't alter it's own nature as a gesture with its own meaning, and a meaning that, like shooting the bird, is well established to communicate not only displeasure, but disrespect. Anyone who can't see this is simply half right.

Now the locking arms in unison during the anthem to show unity in the face of Trump's divisiveness is not really disrespectful in the same way. But the helmet wearing was. People have a pretty good idea how to interpret various gestures. There's no reason to act like all the protesting has been respectful when some gestures clearly speak otherwise.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

So, I think I got something a little different out of the video than others did. I definitely agree with you about what he implies.

What I got out of it was really

1. Kaepernick talked to Boyer and came up with a compromise so its not as though he didn't care at all about those who may be offended. I think that context is important and needs to be a bigger part of the conversation.

2. That the language of saying players are "protesting the flag/anthem" is harmful and factually incorrect. Players are not protesting the flag or the military they are simply using it as the vehicle. By allowing that phrasing to spread it distorts the real issues at hand and probably encourages people to be against the protest subconsciously before they even know the detail.

The other stuff was mostly typical talking points and nothing special IMO.
Kaepernick changing his protest from sitting to kneeling after talking to this Boyer guy reminds me of when I was a kid and punched my little brother during an argument. When he started crying for mom I patted him on the shoulder and asked if he was ok while nervously glancing over my shoulder.

There is no such thing as take-backs in real life. It rings a bit hollow that Kaepernick wanted the kneeling to be seen as respectful after he already refused to participate and said it was because he couldn't respect the flag or the anthem because America is institutionally racist.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Kaepernick changing his protest from sitting to kneeling after talking to this Boyer guy reminds me of when I was a kid and punched my little brother during an argument. When he started crying for mom I patted him on the shoulder and asked if he was ok while nervously glancing over my shoulder.

There is no such thing as take-backs in real life. It rings a bit hollow that Kaepernick wanted the kneeling to be seen as respectful after he already refused to participate and said it was because he couldn't respect the flag or the anthem because America is institutionally racist.
IMHO, it shows that Kaepernick did something it seems at least half of America is incapable of doing:

He listened to someone who didn't fully agree with him, considered the criticism against him on a topic he holds near and dear, and was willing to make a change out of respect for another.

I don't know if he's a saint or not and that really doesn't matter. But is he better in that regard than you (the proverbial and ubiquitous you, that is)?

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA

IMHO, it shows that Kaepernick did something it seems at least half of America is incapable of doing:

He listened to someone who didn't fully agree with him, considered the criticism against him on a topic he holds near and dear, and was willing to make a change out of respect for another.

I don't know if he's a saint or not and that really doesn't matter. But is he better in that regard than you (the proverbial and ubiquitous you, that is)?
If he changed his mind, props to him. All I am saying, is he already let the cat out of the bag.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005

I can't believe I'm rooting for the commercials. Maybe we can stop focusing on this distraction.

[FOX] planned to to revert to the usual practice of selling [the national anthem timeslot] to advertisers. The anthem is typically only shown on telecasts on the Thursday night kickoff game and before the Super Bowl.

“The standard procedure is not to show them because of the way the commercial format works and the timing of the anthem to get to the kickoff,” Fox Sports President Eric Shanks said Tuesday. “So I think we’re going to pay attention to events.”
Link

https://twitter.com/abc/status/[COLOR=#14171A][FONT=&quot]https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/914333905230221313[/FONT][/COLOR]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.