Star Trek: Discovery

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
So the first episode aired on Sunday. Given all the issues with development, I didn't have very high expectations. But, to my surprise, I liked it.

It's very much written and filmed in the J.J. Abrams style. And frankly, I don't think a TNG-type show would work in 2017 -- that was probably the biggest failing of Enterprise in the first two seasons -- it tried to mimic a TV show from the early 1990s rather than evolve with the medium. There is no doubt that Discovery is not making the same mistake. But some folks will hate the change in style from traditional Star Trek.

I won't post spoilers, but the DaVinci-esque intro alone gives you a clue that the style has changed.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I missed the first episode Charmin. I look forward to watching it. I have enjoyed all the Star Treks. Jean Luc and Captain Janeway are my favorites. BBC plays the original 60's Star Trek and it is still pretty good.

Captain Picard reminds me of myself.:)

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
I really enjoyed the first two episodes. Good characterization, stunning visuals, compelling storylines...this one could be a winner. Love the visuals for the opening credits, but the theme sounds like someone grabbed 4-5 different scores and threw them into a blender.

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I really enjoyed the first two episodes. Good characterization, stunning visuals, compelling storylines...this one could be a winner. Love the visuals for the opening credits, but the theme sounds like someone grabbed 4-5 different scores and threw them into a blender.
Yeah, I don't love the theme either. But I agree: the storytelling and characters are strong from the start. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I've never been a huge Trek fan, I fall much father on the Star Wars Spectrum but want to check it out. Love Sonequa Martin-Green, an Alabama Grad is one of the main characters. Isn't there some deal where the remaining episodes are only available on the CBS App for $6 a month and it still has commercials? Or am I hearing that wrong?

CharminTide

Hall of Fame
Oct 23, 2005
I've never been a huge Trek fan, I fall much father on the Star Wars Spectrum but want to check it out. Love Sonequa Martin-Green, an Alabama Grad is one of the main characters. Isn't there some deal where the remaining episodes are only available on the CBS App for $6 a month and it still has commercials? Or am I hearing that wrong?
You are correct, and it's a baffling decision. Because of this I will probably have to acquire them through... other means.

Sonequa is fantastic.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I missed the first episode Charmin. I look forward to watching it. I have enjoyed all the Star Treks. Jean Luc and Captain Janeway are my favorites. BBC plays the original 60's Star Trek and it is still pretty good.

Captain Picard reminds me of myself.:)

This is who you remind me of.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed
I enjoy the one episode I watch but not enough to go get CBS All Access. This show is too good to be only on a streamlining service.

I still believe this show would have fit better in the current timeline, instead of the original timeline.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
They're spending almost Game of Thrones per episode cost but really limiting the scope of access. I fear that this will be doomed to failure not because people hate it but because people hate having to pay too much to see it. Because lets be real, the CBS television back catalog is not HBO's. Yung Shellder and whatever criminal procedural: location is still in production now...yikes!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
They're spending almost Game of Thrones per episode cost but really limiting the scope of access. I fear that this will be doomed to failure not because people hate it but because people hate having to pay too much to see it. Because lets be real, the CBS television back catalog is not HBO's. Yung Shellder and whatever criminal procedural: location is still in production now...yikes!
I only watch CBS in the Fall and only on Saturday and Sunday and then I marvel at all the commercials for their inane crapfest for the rest of the week. Wow. America's most watched network? Sad

$6 a month to watch that? And have commercials? No thansk

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Every Fall I watch sports on CBS and my faith in humanity is chipped away just a little more by Fat Guy with Hot Mom show or Smart Guys Comedy for Dumb People show.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
CBS is banking (literally) that Star Trek: Discovery will jumpstart their streaming service.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
CBS is banking (literally) that Star Trek: Discovery will jumpstart their streaming service.
My best friend from high school, a dedicated trekkie (went to Vegas to meet Bill Shatner) refuses to pay to watch this series, due to the fee, plus the Sony/CBS franchise wranglings, original timeline/Kelvin timeline, plus screwing with the appearance of klingons, etc,. etc.
He says CBS is on a huge money grubbing expedition and he will not take part.
CBS had a built-in audience of millions for this show, like fishing in a barrel, and they blew it.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.