FBI Probe of College Basketball

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

Pat Forde seems to be pointing to Kobie Baker's issues may even go as far back as his days with NCAA Compliance. If that is the case, not just the universities that have issues.

What little credibility the NCAA had left is gone.

Last edited:

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Well, let me offer up a prayer for Kobe, his family and all those touched by this. I hope and pray that his resignation was precautionary and that he is ultimately found innocent of any wrong doing. I hope he and his family will persevere through this trying time and come out stronger on the other side.

Ditto for Chuck Person, his family and others involved. When they say money is the root of all evil, brother, they aren't lying.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

The indictment doesn't mention any money was taken but man alive it doesn't look good.

Petty and Sexton were both involved with Nike EYBL.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Not necessary. Just wait and see before we all speculate on his future.
Correct.

Byrne states that no NCAA or SEC violations occurred. However if money got funneled to Sexton's father from Baker, then there could be big trouble.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Well, let me offer up a prayer for Kobe, his family and all those touched by this. I hope and pray that his resignation was precautionary and that he is ultimately found innocent of any wrong doing. I hope he and his family will persevere through this trying time and come out stronger on the other side.

Ditto for Chuck Person, his family and others involved. When they say money is the root of all evil, brother, they aren't lying.
Well, "love of money" but yeah, it's the Gospel truth.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Not good; Sexton may be gone
If that's all there is to it, then that's fortunate. He never played for Alabama, and it doesn't involve an actual coach either. Far enough away from Avery that it doesn't seem like he'd be held accountable either. I posted earlier about hoping the fire doesn't spread, but if that's it then that's getting off easy.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

If that's all there is to it, then that's fortunate. He never played for Alabama, and it doesn't involve an actual coach either. Far enough away from Avery that it doesn't seem like he'd be held accountable either. I posted earlier about hoping the fire doesn't spread, but if that's it then that's getting off easy.

Again - nothing in the indictment says the father in question took money and Sexton's little brother took to Twitter to note that his parents still work 10 hour days. TIFWIW.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

The jury is still out in your guy.

No doubt in my mind about Chuck though. The DOJ is very thorough. Charges come down? They've generally got you.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I saw the article on AL.com dealing with the news about Baker before I came here and was like ... tell me this aint real. Dang. Hoping noting more comes from this on our end. It really seems like this is going to touch a majority of D1 programs unfortunately. Just wow.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

The jury is still out in your guy.

No doubt in my mind about Chuck though. The DOJ is very thorough. Charges come down? They've generally got you.
Depends on whether money changed hands between Baker and Sexton's father. As you say, the Feds are very thorough. If it did, they'll find it.

I also hear now that player -2 in the Person indictment is most likely Purifoy and not Heron?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Depends on whether money changed hands between Baker and Sexton's father. As you say, the Feds are very thorough. If it did, they'll find it.

I also hear now that player -2 in the Person indictment is most likely Purifoy and not Heron?
Whoever player 1 is has a step dad, which eliminates Wiley.

Player 1 is either Purifoy or Heron. Player 2 is either of those two and Wiley. It's a mystery right now.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.