FBI Probe of College Basketball

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

Depends on whether money changed hands between Baker and Sexton's father. As you say, the Feds are very thorough. If it did, they'll find it.
This is true, which is why I'm still ticked about the Albert Means case.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

The game is so dirty that everyone probably has some on them.
This is the part I think so many miss or gloss over - college basketball is the filthiest of the filthy, so there's little chance you find anyone remotely competitive that isn't knee-deep. Like I keep saying, be careful with those stones until everything dies down...

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds

Well, let me offer up a prayer for Kobe, his family and all those touched by this. I hope and pray that his resignation was precautionary and that he is ultimately found innocent of any wrong doing. I hope he and his family will persevere through this trying time and come out stronger on the other side.

Ditto for Chuck Person, his family and others involved. When they say money is the root of all evil, brother, they aren't lying.
It a detail, but the biblical verse in 1st Timothy reads, . . . "For the love of money is the root of all evil . . " We agree on the larger picture.

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/1-Timothy-6-10/

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Concerning Kobie Baker, there was something that came to my mind last night.
Baker's role at Bama was in compliance. His previous position was with NCAA in compliance.
I was wondering how long Baker's relationship with Chuck Person has been going on? It seems there has to be some previous relationship. It doesn't seem rationale you would call up a compliance guy at university out of the clear blue. Person had to know Baker well enough to believe he could be bought.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

Not sure if there is a connection between Person and Baker; though I am sure they knew each other. Michel; the suit dude and former ref and Talladega college grad, connected Blazer, the financial guy, with Baker; apparently:

From ESPN account:

"On Jan. 5, Michel met with Blazer at a restaurant in Atlanta and discussed a proposal in which Blazer would pay Michel on a monthly basis to connect Blazer with other coaches who were willing to accept bribes. Blazer paid Michel tens of thousands of dollars from January 2017 to about September, according to the FBI, and Michel helped facilitate the payment of $25,000 to an unidentified staff member of another school. The staff member received $5,000 during an initial meeting and an additional $20,000 in later meetings in New York and Atlanta."

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

Concerning Kobie Baker, there was something that came to my mind last night.
Baker's role at Bama was in compliance. His previous position was with NCAA in compliance.
I was wondering how long Baker's relationship with Chuck Person has been going on? It seems there has to be some previous relationship. It doesn't seem rationale you would call up a compliance guy at university out of the clear blue. Person had to know Baker well enough to believe he could be bought.
Don’t forget Kobie was Director of Operations as well. He likely spent as much time with Avery as anyone. I hope Avery’s “Buckle Up” doesn’t take on a new meaning! Nothing leads me to believe Avery is involved. However, makes you wonder if he ever knew Kobie was dining with Chuck and/or Sexton’s dad. If so, he may have some explaining to do. Keep in mind, Goff was gonna get away with his abusive ways until he started messing with NCAA rules. When I spoke to Byrne about Goff it became clear you don’t sniff the rules line, much less get near crossing it.

As for Kobie & Chuck, their paths could have crossed when Kobe was previously in college as an assistant and Chuck was in the NBA. Seeing how the allegations have some comparison to Cam in the sense Daddy was being solicited/soliciting, maybe Chuck told Kobie who the bag man was😂. Or at least filled him in on how the Fambily does it and Lawyers up!

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

Since the end game was to steer future NBA players/salaries to a particular financial manager; I find it odd/concerning they would be paying a Dir of Op's. I would not imagine he would have the close relationship/influence that a asst coach/recruiter would have on a player.
We will see.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

There is still time for this to lay out, but if Sexton cannot be cleared before the season starts, do you play him and hope? He is a one and done player, so do you really take a chance with your building program at this point? Tough decisions ahead all over the country.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

I was thinking about this on my wonderful Houston commute, and maybe this is a question for our residential tax guru, the one and only Earle.

But, if money was given to these families, coaches, etc. and they didn't claim it as gifts or other income for tax purposes, what's the IRS or states that have income tax going to say about this?

And, for the companies, individuals, etc. that were giving the money out, should they have paid employer taxes (FICA, Unemployment, etc.) what are the ramifications to them? Does this open up a world of audits to them? This could really mushroom.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

There is still time for this to lay out, but if Sexton cannot be cleared before the season starts, do you play him and hope? He is a one and done player, so do you really take a chance with your building program at this point? Tough decisions ahead all over the country.
Nope.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Not sure if there is a connection between Person and Baker; though I am sure they knew each other. Michel; the suit dude and former ref and Talladega college grad, connected Blazer, the financial guy, with Baker; apparently:

From ESPN account:

"On Jan. 5, Michel met with Blazer at a restaurant in Atlanta and discussed a proposal in which Blazer would pay Michel on a monthly basis to connect Blazer with other coaches who were willing to accept bribes. Blazer paid Michel tens of thousands of dollars from January 2017 to about September, according to the FBI, and Michel helped facilitate the payment of $25,000 to an unidentified staff member of another school. The staff member received $5,000 during an initial meeting and an additional $20,000 in later meetings in New York and Atlanta."
You're correct. I misread the indictment. I thought Person had facilitated the original meeting.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

If not cleared, and there is very little time, he gone

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

I was thinking about this on my wonderful Houston commute, and maybe this is a question for our residential tax guru, the one and only Earle.

But, if money was given to these families, coaches, etc. and they didn't claim it as gifts or other income for tax purposes, what's the IRS or states that have income tax going to say about this?

And, for the companies, individuals, etc. that were giving the money out, should they have paid employer taxes (FICA, Unemployment, etc.) what are the ramifications to them? Does this open up a world of audits to them? This could really mushroom.
There are definitely IRS undeclared income implications; another pressure point.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I am hearing it looks like Alabama should be okay here as long as nothing more comes out

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

If not cleared, and there is very little time, he gone
Unfortunately, you're correct. He has to be held out until positively cleared. If that takes him out of playing this year, well, that's what happens. Can't risk a program for one guy, no matter how good.

I fear there'll be a lot of this at a lot of schools. It's only just begun.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Unless there's more out there, I think Sexton plays

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.