FBI Probe of College Basketball

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

My immediate thought is sit any player not quickly cleared.

Then, I think about how widespread this is. No way the NCAA can clear everyone that might have some issues (aka everyone). I somewhat say risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Then, I think about how widespread this is. No way the NCAA can clear everyone that might have some issues (aka everyone). I somewhat say risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah, but they'd crucify us because we're Alabama. They'd pull out something from the DuBose era and start whispering repeat offender. I'd rather be safe than sorry at this point.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

I lean this way too. Too many players, some of whose may be completely innocent, will be in limbo for too long.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Yeah, but they'd crucify us because we're Alabama. They'd pull out something from the DuBose era and start whispering repeat offender. I'd rather be safe than sorry at this point.
Many Auburn fans, with our legendary persecution complex, feel the same way.

Too many targets for them to simply focus on AU or UA.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Many Auburn fans, with our legendary persecution complex, feel the same way.

Too many targets for them to simply focus on AU or UA.
The NCAA will handle things in alphabetical order :)

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

It sounds like Alabama and Sexton may be in the clear here, but there were laws broken in at least a few cases where the people making contact with parents and players to steer them toward the financial management service both lied about their payment for said steering and spoke to the expertise of these services when they had no knowledge of said expertise. This is against the law and several industries have seen people serve prison time for it, including the insurance industry when Spitzer went after them 15 years ago.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Interview him and his parents, make sure they didn't take any cash, play him.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Jay Williams just said on ESPN that he knew of Kevin Love's AAU coach getting paid $250K..

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I lean this way too. Too many players, some of whose may be completely innocent, will be in limbo for too long.
Unless they give him the Cam treatment, in which case Sexton could be cleared in a few hours' time.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I think there is a large dividing line between Kobie Baker and Person. Person was charged and arrested for being involved with the same guys Baker met with and was not arrested. At least for the time being, I think we are OK. My impression form what I have read is that Baker was paid to set up the meeting, but nothing else. It appears no money changed hands with Sexton's parents and he was obviously not steering him to a school since he had already been on campus for several months.

Greg Byrne seems to have a zero tolerance policy with ethical behavior of his department which is a good thing.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina

It sounds like Alabama and Sexton may be in the clear here, but there were laws broken in at least a few cases where the people making contact with parents and players to steer them toward the financial management service both lied about their payment for said steering and spoke to the expertise of these services when they had no knowledge of said expertise. This is against the law and several industries have seen people serve prison time for it, including the insurance industry when Spitzer went after them 15 years ago.
All I know is that every investigation starts with the school maintaining their innocence...then the truth really emerges. Let's prepare for the worst...and hope for the best.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

There's some distance between each school's respective situation.

Louisville is in some real trouble. The only thing that might save them is if this thing gets so big and involved so much that the NCAA can't afford to hand out appropriate punishments. But right now we're talking about Pitino being directly involved in paying players. Let's not forget they were already in NCAA trouble and he probably already should have been fired. The death penalty has to be on the table.

Then there's Auburn. To me they are kind of in the middle. Active coach, active players. The NCAA of old and we'd already have a tombstone made for their program. The saving grace? The FBI's viewpoint on the matter is that the school and players were victims. Along with that, so far they haven't connected the dots to Pearl. So the party line would be rogue coach caught up in FBI sting. Hard to figure out how the NCAA would handle this. Seems like if they wanted, they'd look at all the other things swirling around at Auburn, take into consideration Pearl was already on their naughty list and hammer Auburn. We have to see if more comes out or if the NCAA has the manpower (a lot going on) to dig deeper. This could go anywhere from slap on the wrist to program crippling sanctions.

Then there's Alabama. Ironically, it's one of the NCAA's guy that ended up being involved. You bring in the NCAA guy to help play by their rules and he ends up being the one breaking them. Nice. Unless more comes out though, no ineligible player was played, no active coach was involved. But! It is still very dangerous, we don't know what all the FBI knows, what was said, what they heard. It would be very dangerous to assume there's not more to this. In the case of Sexton himself, as important as he is, I'm not sure you can play him unless you get some kind of ironclad guarantee from the FBI/NCAA that no wrong doing occurred on the part of his parents.

"So, Michel’s financial services company paid Baker $5000 to arrange an August meeting with Sexton’s dad to sell the family on Michel’s services at the time Sexton becomes pro-eligible. After the meeting, Michel gave Baker another $10,000 to give to the family to steer Collin to Michel at a future date when Sexton announced he was going pro."

The article is correct in saying this might not be illegal and isn't a violation if this is exactly what happened. The thing is, at this point what proof do we have outside of Baker's word and the families word? You need to get someone you can trust who isn't acting in their own self interest to tell you that's how things went down, otherwise it is very, very risky.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

SIAP

Rick Pitino will reportedly lose out on up to $55 million

Rick Pitino will reportedly lose out on up to $55 million after being dismissed from his role as the University of Louisville head men's basketball coach, according to ESPN's Darren Rovell.

Pitino, the highest-paid coach in college basketball, was set to make just under $7.8 million for the 2017-18 season, according to USA Today. The two-time NCAA Tournament champion had $38 million in salary remaining on his deal running through 2026, while the other $17 million was set to come from bonuses and other earnings.

If Louisville had simply wanted to buy out Pitino's contract instead of firing him, it would have reportedly cost the school $44 million.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.