FBI Probe of College Basketball

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

There's some distance between each school's respective situation.

Louisville is in some real trouble. The only thing that might save them is if this thing gets so big and involved so much that the NCAA can't afford to hand out appropriate punishments. But right now we're talking about Pitino being directly involved in paying players. Let's not forget they were already in NCAA trouble and he probably already should have been fired. The death penalty has to be on the table.

Then there's Auburn. To me they are kind of in the middle. Active coach, active players. The NCAA of old and we'd already have a tombstone made for their program. The saving grace? The FBI's viewpoint on the matter is that the school and players were victims. Along with that, so far they haven't connected the dots to Pearl. So the party line would be rogue coach caught up in FBI sting. Hard to figure out how the NCAA would handle this. Seems like if they wanted, they'd look at all the other things swirling around at Auburn, take into consideration Pearl was already on their naughty list and hammer Auburn. We have to see if more comes out or if the NCAA has the manpower (a lot going on) to dig deeper. This could go anywhere from slap on the wrist to program crippling sanctions.

Then there's Alabama. Ironically, it's one of the NCAA's guy that ended up being involved. You bring in the NCAA guy to help play by their rules and he ends up being the one breaking them. Nice. Unless more comes out though, no ineligible player was played, no active coach was involved. But! It is still very dangerous, we don't know what all the FBI knows, what was said, what they heard. It would be very dangerous to assume there's not more to this. In the case of Sexton himself, as important as he is, I'm not sure you can play him unless you get some kind of ironclad guarantee from the FBI/NCAA that no wrong doing occurred on the part of his parents.

"So, Michel’s financial services company paid Baker $5000 to arrange an August meeting with Sexton’s dad to sell the family on Michel’s services at the time Sexton becomes pro-eligible. After the meeting, Michel gave Baker another $10,000 to give to the family to steer Collin to Michel at a future date when Sexton announced he was going pro."

The article is correct in saying this might not be illegal and isn't a violation if this is exactly what happened. The thing is, at this point what proof do we have outside of Baker's word and the families word? You need to get someone you can trust who isn't acting in their own self interest to tell you that's how things went down, otherwise it is very, very risky.
We can always dust off the "Collin didn't know" defense. That would just get a one day from practice suspension.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

For the uninitiated, this means he has a direct role in the money and schemed with Adidas personally.
Wow...just wow. Pitino just gave college basketball the "hold my beer and watch this" moment of a lifetime.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

But,But; he was just helping the poor lady in the restaurant pick up her panties she dropped

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA

Wow...just wow. Pitino just gave college basketball the "hold my beer and watch this" moment of a lifetime.
Over/Under he gets a lifetime ban or at least lifetime show cause from college basketball. Secondly how much longer before we hear Calipari's name??

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Over/Under he gets a lifetime ban or at least lifetime show cause from college basketball. Secondly how much longer before we hear Calipari's name??
And Louisville has just been insured the death penalty in basketball.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I think they are a Nike school so I suspect when the US attorneys office reviews the documents, we'll may see more big names. Adidas is in fact a relatively small player in the college basketball landscape so I suspect we'll see much more when Nike and Under Armor turn over their documents. These guys are either covering their tracks now or they are singing for the feds. Unfortunately, the 1% of them kids that these runners, agents, and so called financial advisors are interested in are the ones who will ultimately change the sport. Maybe for the better.

I am troubled that this was allowed to grow and fester because the NCAA was so incompetent that they could not regulate their own sports. I do feel sorry for those arrested because it was standard operating procedure for years in the sport. No one, and I mean no one within the college basketball community had a clue that the feds were even remotely interested in cleaning up the sport. These guys were doing what so many before them have done and gotten away with for years. Now the feds show up and the game will be forever changed.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

And Louisville has just been insured the death penalty in basketball.
Ordinarily I'd say yes, but we really have no idea where this all leads to. I mean yesterday I made my wildfire analogy, shortly after that turns out an Alabama guy was involved. Who knows how far this goes and how deep. If this hits enough programs hard enough, there might not be any death penalties at all. Instead we might just see a major shift in rules and how they go about things and so on. The NCAA won't kill their cash cow, which is NCAA basketball tournament. So in isolation yeah Louisville probably gets the death penalty. Now? Who knows. You might even see a lot of these players end up getting their eligibility back, is the NCAA going to want the mess of having like 100 ineligible elite players? Probably not...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Raise your hand though if you didn't know AAU and college basketball were filthy dirty. No one? That's right. Worst kept secret for years. This will force change in the NCAA, but in what direction?

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Raise your hand though if you didn't know AAU and college basketball were filthy dirty. No one? That's right. Worst kept secret for years. This will force change in the NCAA, but in what direction?
This all has to start with the sneaker companies. I think you will probably see messages coming down that these shoe contracts have to be reworded to specifically prohibit and penalize some of this stuff, and in addition to that those sneaker reps need to be kept even further away from the players. I don't know the current rules, but they have to be treated like agents are.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I think this will inevitably bleed over into football as well. There is going to be some Asst coach, runner, or agent who will turn and we'll be talking about football in somewhat the same way.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Ordinarily I'd say yes, but we really have no idea where this all leads to. I mean yesterday I made my wildfire analogy, shortly after that turns out an Alabama guy was involved. Who knows how far this goes and how deep. If this hits enough programs hard enough, there might not be any death penalties at all. Instead we might just see a major shift in rules and how they go about things and so on. The NCAA won't kill their cash cow, which is NCAA basketball tournament. So in isolation yeah Louisville probably gets the death penalty. Now? Who knows. You might even see a lot of these players end up getting their eligibility back, is the NCAA going to want the mess of having like 100 ineligible elite players? Probably not...
Only thinking in terms of using the past as context. Certainly something as broad sweeping as this is a game changer. The context being SMU in football where you had a school under the NCAA gun and, similar to Louisville, deeper allegations come to the surface. Especially when your head coach looks to be up to his eyeballs in it. And your AD has his daughter go to work in communications for the shoe company that is funneling money to your basketball program with which to steer players. In my mind, you can't get any more LOIC than that.

Then again when all is said and done "LOIC" may have to be completely redefined by the NCAA.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

Only thinking in terms of using the past as context. Certainly something as broad sweeping as this is a game changer. The context being SMU in football where you had a school under the NCAA gun and, similar to Louisville, deeper allegations come to the surface. Especially when your head coach looks to be up to his eyeballs in it. And your AD has his daughter go to work in communications for the shoe company that is funneling money to your basketball program with which to steer players. In my mind, you can't get any more LOIC than that.

Then again when all is said and done "LOIC" may have to be completely redefined by the NCAA.
Don't get me wrong, they should get the death penalty in terms of proper enforcement of rules. Just... who the heck knows at this point? We find something new out each day.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA

How Louisville and UNC didn't get slammed the last go round is beyond me, but now that the feds are involved you can book it that somebody is going to get the axe. SMU wasn't the only SWC team doling out the cash to players they just happened to be the most expendable. Who is more expendable Kentucky or Auburn in Basketball or UNC or Louisville??

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

How Louisville and UNC didn't get slammed the last go round is beyond me, but now that the feds are involved you can book it that somebody is going to get the axe. SMU wasn't the only SWC team doling out the cash to players they just happened to be the most expendable. Who is more expendable Kentucky or Auburn in Basketball or UNC or Louisville??
No, but they were so ridiculously blatant about it. It wasn't totally unreasonable making an example out of them for that reason. SMU saw the rules and continually blew them off. They got punished then went straight back to breaking the rules. The NCAA got tired of their flippant attitude toward the rules and dropped the hammer. It had the benefit of sending a vital message to college football too.

You know that debate you had in 7th grade where you had to argue for or against dropping the bombs on Japan? I feel like you could totally have that about the SMU death penalty. And in both instances, it's hard to argue they weren't necessary evils. And just like the nukes, you're unlikely to ever see it again.

But degree of the crimes must also be considered, and Louisville is making everyone else look like choir boys for the time being. Of every school named, they're easily closest to the death penalty for their repeated violations. If the hammer comes down one any particular school, it will be them.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

I wonder if the NBA has to reconsider their "One and done" rule now? If not, I wonder if HS might consider other options for their post HS basketball careers, ie playing in Europe, or the NBDL, etc. Because right now, I'm not sure if I would anybody I know and/or care about anywhere near college basketball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.