FBI Probe of College Basketball

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

I wonder if the NBA has to reconsider their "One and done" rule now? If not, I wonder if HS might consider other options for their post HS basketball careers, ie playing in Europe, or the NBDL, etc. Because right now, I'm not sure if I would anybody I know and/or care about anywhere near college basketball.
Saw someone comment after the news originally broke how Adam Silver has wanted to get rid of the one and done for a few years. This might be his best chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

any way Collin Sexton could be affected by this?
Still to early to fully say, but as of the info thats been released, most reports are saying there are no NCAA issues involved. Of course this can unfortunately change, but as of now it's no.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Lets look at this from and NCAA point of view. The 1st problem thee have is the enforcement staff was reduced after the Scam Newton fiasco and they do not have anywhere near enough investigators to look into this thoroughly. The FBI will have to be their eyes and ears. If the FBI essentially the investigative arm by extension of the NCAA, are they going to devote thousands of man hours into the probe? By the time this is done, there may be dozen of schools implicated. Assuming this goes as deep as I think it will, the NCAA can't punish every school or march madness will be Mid major madness. There are still many questions to be answered and hopefully at least on our teams part, they will be answered by the time the season starts.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

Saw someone comment after the news originally broke how Adam Silver has wanted to get rid of the one and done for a few years. This might be his best chance.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here, thought I ask. With NBA teams each getting their own NBGL team, plus 2 way contracts becoming a thing in the NBA/NBGL, teams might be more willing to take HS players, knowing they could send them to the NBGL teams for some seasoning, instead of forcing HSer to have to play early.

So, I do believe this is Silver's best chance to rid the NBA of the "One and Done."

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

So; the big splash is over. Now the Feds turn the screws on the perps and others under scrutiny; probably be quiet for awhile while they do their work

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

So; the big splash is over. Now the Feds turn the screws on the perps and others under scrutiny; probably be quiet for awhile while they do their work
Yeah I think now we will experience a slow trickle as those indicted begin to contemplate what they are facing and start looking for ways to mitigate the charges they are facing.

Certainly we know that the end game for the Feds wasn't to pinch a few agents, some sleaze ball assistant coaches, a slimy head coach and a one shoe company executive. You have to believe the goal was to put a significant dent in seedy crap happening in college sports.

So who rolls first? My money is on Gatto, the Adidas exec or Merl Code. Gatto is in a real vice. But everything I've read about Code points to him knowing where a lot of bodies are buried having worked for both Adidas and Nike.

Last edited:

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

Pat Forde‏Verified account @YahooForde

Got email saying that the House Energy & Commerce Committee wants a briefing from the NCAA on the corruption scandal. Here comes Congress.
2:50 PM - 28 Sep 2017

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Supposedly Sankey had called the conference coaches to Birmingham for a meeting yesterday. What I would have given to be a fly on that wall.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

Got email saying that the House Energy & Commerce Committee wants a briefing from the NCAA on the corruption scandal. Here comes Congress.
Yep; terrorism, taxes, healthcare and corruption in college basketball. The 4 major issues facing our country,

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Why would they ask the NCAA instead of the FBI?

Grandstanding.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

While this article is a few years old, I'm pretty sure the numbers are pretty close to true today.

If your a top 10 high school basketball prospect, your are just about a lock to play in the NBA. Not that your going to be the next Lebron James or Kevin Durant, but at least play in the league.

Think about it from the slime ball agent, runner, or shoe company rep perspective. Throw a few hundred thousand around at the top prospects, get your hooks in them early and if they happen become the next Stephon Curry, you may have just hit the lottery.

I heard a writer this morning (can't recall the name) that covers college basketball say the reasons it more prevalent in AAU basketball are 1) it is easier to identify that "make a difference elite player" at earlier ages so you can begin the contact and manipulation sooner 2) one player with elite talent can be the difference maker for a team, making them more valuable (as compared to a sport like football). Not to say the agents aren't getting hooks in football players via 7 on 7 tournaments.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cb...cts-are-virtually-guaranteed-to-make-nba/amp/

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I was traveling when this came out and I can't keep up now.

Did anyone provide an explanation on how and why the FBI got involved in this? I saw there were some interesting laws brought up by the FBI but some of that seemed to be creative. It seems like almost any crime can be zig-zagged into federal jurisdiction.

Are Nike and Under Armour bigger players in this monkey business and has there been information coming from that direction?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I was traveling when this came out and I can't keep up now.

Did anyone provide an explanation on how and why the FBI got involved in this? I saw there were some interesting laws brought up by the FBI but some of that seemed to be creative. It seems like almost any crime can be zig-zagged into federal jurisdiction.

Are Nike and Under Armour bigger players in this monkey business and has there been information coming from that direction?
The main financial advisor in the drama was busted for a bunch of stuff having to do with misappropriation of client money and securities fraud. A lot, if not all, of his client base is / was made up of NBA players.

In order to get a lesser charge and / or sentence, he started singing about what and who he knew.

I'm still not clear on why what the coaches did is a federal offense, but other than a WSJ article asking the same question, that angle doesn't seem to be getting a lot of attention.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.