FBI Probe of College Basketball

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

Scheduled news conference? Hope I'm wrong, but I'd think that if it was good news, they'd just release it...
My thought as well, I’m officially scared

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Scheduled news conference? Hope I'm wrong, but I'd think that if it was good news, they'd just release it...
It's his weekly press conference. Not a special called presser.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Mark Schlabach:

Auburn men’s basketball coach Bruce Pearl is refusing to cooperate in the school’s internal investigation into his program, and university officials have advised him that his job is in jeopardy if he doesn’t, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Sources: Bruce Pearl's job in jeopardy if he doesn't cooperate in Auburn investigation

Auburn men's basketball coach Bruce Pearl is refusing to cooperate in the school's internal investigation into his program, and university officials have advised him that that his job is in jeopardy if he doesn't, sources told ESPN on Wednesday.

Auburn officials retained a law firm to conduct an internal investigation after former Tigers associate head coach Chuck Person was arrested on Sept. 26 as part of the FBI's probe into college basketball corruption. Person was indicted on six federal charges by a grand jury in New York on Tuesday.

Sources told ESPN that Pearl has refused to talk to attorneys conducting the university's investigation, and they've been yet unable to determine if Pearl was involved in NCAA violations or other wrongdoing because FBI agents seized his computers and cell phones as part of their investigation.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

File this under TIFWIW. Rumor is that Pearl and the AU compliance guy (Boy there's an oxymoron if I ever saw one) were heard shouting at each other just before they suspended the 2 players on the BB team. They will have very little inside presence without Wiley.
Hmmm...this certainly doesn’t seem like Pearl was in the spirit of “compliance and cooperation” then huh?

When they hired Pearl they knew what they were getting. Does it really surprise anyone he would hinder the internal investigation?

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

And this is why you don't hire a coach whose under a show cause..

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

Finebaum just reported Bruce Pearl is refusing to cooperate with the internal investigation and has been informed his job may be on the line.

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL
NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

The better story would have been: he’s fired because he couldn’t even comply with the barns own investigation.

Not understanding why the story is if he doesn’t stop not cooperating that his job could be in jeopardy...something odd about that. Like he’s really not on the way out but someone is trying to push the issue (and leaked a story), or like he’s really not on the way out and the barn is trying to show that they are really strong in the area of compliance kind of odd...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The better story would have been: he’s fired because he couldn’t even comply with the barns own investigation.

Not understanding why the story is if he doesn’t stop not cooperating that his job could be in jeopardy...something odd about that. Like he’s really not on the way out but someone is trying to push the issue (and leaked a story), or like he’s really not on the way out and the barn is trying to show that they are really strong in the area of compliance kind of odd...

You only leak this type info (and Auburn beat writers tweeted they have heard similar things from people around town, so this isn't something new) if you're trying to lay the groundwork for cause to fire him and avoid the buyout.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

You only leak this type info (and Auburn beat writers tweeted they have heard similar things from people around town, so this isn't something new) if you're trying to lay the groundwork for cause to fire him and avoid the buyout.
This - but also as OBMS has said on the football board - Pearl ain't stupid. He doesn't want AU pinning everything on him in order to deflect the FBI away from everything else.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

This - but also as OBMS has said on the football board - Pearl ain't stupid. He doesn't want AU pinning everything on him in order to deflect the FBI away from everything else.

TIFWIW. I hear he has hired his own lawyer. Normally, you have no need to hire a lawyer if you tell the truth and have nothing to hide. I think he is in a catch 22. If he talks to the law firm that is investigating, he may be incriminating himself. This could raise the the FBI"s and the US attorney's office interest. If he doesn't talk he loses his job. Which is better, be indicted or lose your job?

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017

I hear he wanting out of Auburn any way he is a crook just SO GLAD we didn't hire him.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.