FBI Probe of College Basketball

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

aub fans can take comfort in the fact that auburn university as a whole and Bruce Pearl in particular have a pristine reputation and have no history of ncaa issues, especially where transferring funds to players are concerned

Also, not like they had a player linked to point shaving a few years ago

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Thing to remember that this isn't an NCAA investigation (which is near certain to follow). This is the FBI looking into bribery and corruption. They have the power of the subpoena.

Auburn, USC, and others better hope their entire athletic department is clean because they are about to get a colonoscopy.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

If you don't think we aren't doing similar things, you're wrong. This isn't limited to those in the complaints. My laughter at Persons was quickly replaced with some anxiety about how far the case goes.
I don't think we're paying 100K to recruits. Not sure what you consider "similar things." Sure, we have the minor infractions that we self report like all schools do but this is way above and beyond that. Did we even sign a single 5* recruit under Grant? Maybe Trevor Lacey but I can't recall many other highly rated recruits that signed with us meanwhile AU is pulling in recruiting classes akin to the classes Ole Miss signed when Freeze was there..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I don't think we're paying 100K to recruits. Not sure what you consider "similar things." Sure, we have the minor infractions that we self report like all schools do but this is way above and beyond that. Did we even sign a single 5* recruit under Grant? Maybe Trevor Lacey but I can't recall many other highly rated recruits that signed with us meanwhile AU is pulling in recruiting classes akin to the classes Ole Miss signed when Freeze was there..
"Similar things" means doing stuff on a smaller scale as to what is mentioned in the complaints.

This stuff has been rumored for years. The FBI was able to uncover it all because it has subpoena power the NCAA doesn't. No Power 5 team is clean of this. None.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

Ummm.....

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

"Similar things" means doing stuff on a smaller scale as to what is mentioned in the complaints.

This stuff has been rumored for years. The FBI was able to uncover it all because it has subpoena power the NCAA doesn't. No Power 5 team is clean of this. None.
We'll have to agree to disagree. What's being alleged here is flat out buying recruits for a 6 figure sum. All power 5 teams aren't guilty of that. The response by AUDub is such a typical barner response. "Ah, we got caught doing it so everybody's doing it." No, that's not the situation in this case IMO. Plus, AU hired a coach who has a history of cheating and so there's probable cause there to begin with. Someone can educate me if I'm wrong but how many coaches have we hired that were known cheaters and under a show cause?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Can someone provide cliff notes of the press conference?

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

From the Person bio on the official aub website...

A force on the recruiting trail, Person helped Auburn land three of the best signing classes in program history in 2015, 2016, which included Auburn's first five-star recruit in history in Mustapha Heron and six four-star recruits, and 2017, which was ranked as high as No. 2 in the nation with a five-star and two four-stars before 17-year-old Austin Wiley enrolled in Auburn in December.

Wiley was Auburn's second five-star in history, both coming in consecutive classes
. The 2015 class would be ranked as high as 10th-best in the nation and was graded as an A-minus by ESPN. The 2016 class was ranked 25th.

"They were tremendous. They have great chemistry between the two of them," said the SEC Network's John Pelphrey of head coach Bruce Pearl and Person. "They are a dynamic tandem right now in recruiting and coaching."

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

We'll have to agree to disagree. What's being alleged here is flat out buying recruits for a 6 figure sum. All power 5 teams aren't guilty of that. The response by AUDub is such a typical barner response. "Ah, we got caught doing it so everybody's doing it." No, that's not the situation in this case IMO. Plus, AU hired a coach who has a history of cheating and so there's probable cause there to begin with. Someone can educate me if I'm wrong but how many coaches have we hired that were known cheaters and under a show cause?
You're on Twitter. You have to see plenty of college basketball reporters say "this is no surprise... we've tried to tell you for years."

AAU and shoe companies have long been said to be filthy.
Can someone provide cliff notes of the press conference?
Pretty much reading summaries of the complaints so far.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.