FBI Probe of College Basketball - Page 3
Page 3 of 70 FirstFirst 123456789101353 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    As an aside, I wonder what happens to Louisville, who was already on probation.
    Since you asked..............

Adidas is going to be adios

The FBI claims Jim Gatto — the Director of Global Marketing for Adidas Basketball — paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to funnel top prospects to Adidas sponsored colleges … including Louisville.
    Yeah, burn them, as well.

Gatto allegedly tried to bribe one player and his family to choose one of Adidas’ partners, and that suggests that the tactic might have been used with others. According to TMZ, the FBI has wiretaps of these conversations, which means they’ve been looking into this for quite a while. When people start to sing — and they will, believe it — this may well stretch back for years, and perhaps more than one corporation, too. Once bribes start becoming common, it’s tough to believe that only one entity entered the market on that basis without blowing the whistle on it. Of course, that may be exactly how the FBI got involved in the first place.
    Last edited by cuda.1973; September 26th, 2017 at 10:04 AM.
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

This case by itself will have massive effects on college basketball. As I saw one reporter tweet, the idea the FBI might have your cell phone tapped makes you be very careful.

The biggest thing will be if there are more charges coming. How many schools, coaches, and others are going down for this?
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    This case by itself will have massive effects on college basketball. As I saw one reporter tweet, the idea the FBI might have your cell phone tapped makes you be very careful.

The biggest thing will be if there are more charges coming. How many schools, coaches, and others are going down for this?
    The best thing for us right now would be for this to blow up across multiple blue blood programs.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

So this is what Pitino originally said when they signed the recruit:

And this is what the investigation turned up:

I hope they fire Pitino and the NCAA strips him of all championships. Hes as dirty as they come..

The best thing for us right now would be for this to blow up across multiple blue blood programs.

Yep, that would be best for y'all, and you might get your wish. This is the tip of the iceberg. If Adidas was doing it, what makes you think it was only them? How and why did the FBI get their camel's nose under the tent?
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

Where is PitMaster at?? This is his chance to pile on Bruce Pearl and Austin Wiley's dirty recruitment and he's not here!? He been beating the drum about this for a long time..

You could go and wake him up.

On second thought..................
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

"I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Where is PitMaster at?? This is his chance to pile on Bruce Pearl and Austin Wiley's dirty recruitment and he's not here!? He been beating the drum about this for a long time..
    I would be very careful about calling anyone out until more comes to light. I would be wound up tight if we hadn't already been named.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

Quote Originally Posted by cuda.1973 View Post
    Yep, that would be best for y'all, and you might get your wish. This is the tip of the iceberg. If Adidas was doing it, what makes you think it was only them? How and why did the FBI get their camel's nose under the tent?
    Somebody rolled when facing charges, no doubt.
    Just a barner.

There goes Davis!

BamaNation All-American

Paging Lightfoot and Franklin.....

I would be very careful about calling anyone out until more comes to light. I would be wound up tight if we hadn't already been named.
    Uh, well, it looks like the guilty parties so far are repeat offenders like Pitino, Pearl etc. Not that hard to figure out who else is most likely involved. Since you went there I'd be really surprised if Avery Johnson or an Alabama staffer was involved in this because we weren't signing random 5* recruits from Connecticut during this time period. But sure, speculate away that "every program is doing this" because AU got caught red handed..

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Uh, well, it looks like the guilty parties so far are repeat offenders like Pitino, Pearl etc. Not that hard to figure out who else is most likely involved. Since you went there I'd be really surprised if Avery Johnson or an Alabama staffer was involved in this because we weren't signing random 5* recruits from Connecticut during this time period. But sure, speculate away that "every program is doing this" because AU got caught red handed..
    If you don't think we aren't doing similar things, you're wrong. This isn't limited to those in the complaints. My laughter at Persons was quickly replaced with some anxiety about how far the case goes.
    -- Coach Bryant