FBI Probe of College Basketball

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Re: FBI Probe of College Basketball Players, Coaches, and NBA Agents

We might have to vacate the wins, but I think they'd have to prove that someone at Bama knew about this or was involved to punish us further.

Rtr
This. The money wasn't coming from Bama, so at worst it was playing an ineligible player unless something else comes to light. I seriously doubt anything will.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I suspect the NCAA hasn't done anything because they don't have the staff to investigate every single school all at once. They are probably starting with what was revealed in the indictments and filings before looking at anything that is uncovered in the trials.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

The NCAA is like a toothless bear, they growl really loudly, but can't really hurt you unless you do something so stupid, even they can't miss it. (See Louisville) The NCAA makes its living on college basketball. Football might as well be a club sport for all they care. Basketball keeps them all in jobs, so I suspect we'll see them throw the book at Eastern New Jersey state because Louisville cheated. The DOJ seems to want to target the shoe companies, not the schools themselves so don't look for there to be much punishment when all is said and done.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

I suspect the NCAA hasn't done anything because they don't have the staff to investigate every single school all at once. They are probably starting with what was revealed in the indictments and filings before looking at anything that is uncovered in the trials.
I'm not sure it's just that, this also implicates some of the biggest NCAA programs. Can you really imagine putting on a NCAA tournament (their biggest money earner in all sports) without Arizona, Louisville, Alabama, Auburn, North Carolina, Oregon, Oklahoma St., USC, etc...? Not to mention the alienation of some of the major financial players in the scene.

So to me either this thing blows up and there is a lot of collateral damage, or the NCAA finds a way to narrow this down to the very worse offenders. If they simply follow allegations they'll basically be lead to the doorstep of almost every major program.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

I thought the compliance department clear Sexton last year? If they missed this then they should be fired.
You can't make a blanket statement like that. One would have to presume the compliance department made their decision based upon all known factors available to them at that point in time. If there is any truth to the new stuff and if it could be proven that they knew about this and still cleared him, then you could call for them to be fired.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I think UL will be the program that will be made the example of. And when I mean example, I mean they will get the death penalty. And quite honestly they deserve it if it's true they were that brazen and sloppy with how they handled things. The NCAA will use this as a finger-waggin opportunity to tell the rest of the schools to clean it up or else. It's the only way the NCAA can honestly save any type of face right now without blowing everything up.

I don't think it will totally change anything with the system though, it will just force the schools to be more discrete on how they "handle" things. JMO

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Bowen Sr. testified today and he implicated a number of assistant coaches from around the country. He did not implicate Oregon as he was expected to do. There is a story on ESPN about his testimony.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

With the testimony today one thing is very clear - top players are being shopped aggressively across the country. This isn't just about Adidas.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

College Hoops may disappear before College Football does......

I think I preferred it when I was ignorant about such matters....

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

When does the Chuck Persons trial begin? or has it already?
Think it starts some time in 2019 but not positive.
College Hoops may disappear before College Football does......

I think I preferred it when I was ignorant about such matters....
I know many don't pay as close attention to recruiting as others, but this isn't new to those that follow it. We're just now getting confirmation when people are under oath.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Defense attorney: Kansas' Bill Self requested $20K payment for Silvio De Sousa

Looking like the defendants might skate because they've pulled out all of the evidence to show coaches knew, which debunks some of the charges.

Assistant U.S. attorney Edward Diskant told the jury during the government's rebuttal that if a coach was indeed aware of the schemes, "he wasn't supposed to be."

"The defendants knew these universities could not and would not issue scholarships to these kids, and so they concealed it," Diskant said. "And that's where the bat phones come in, the cash deliveries, the fake documents, the various false statements and certifications the defendants caused to be made. Because the defendants knew what they were doing was wrong -- plain and simple."

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.