FBI Probe of College Basketball

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Re: FBI Probe of College Basketball (Breaking - Wade Suspended)

Wade’s a ..... anyway. I went to the LSU game and he should have been T’d up at least twice but, only CAJ got T’d.

Honestly, it appears that if you want a consistent chance at making a deep run in the tournament then you must play slime ball, in the current basketball climate.

Is the sport save-able? I think the NBA should step in and just start taking these kids straight out of high school again. The players don’t want to play in college anyway, it’s just a road block on their way to the NBA. I’d rather have less top tier talent but a bunch of players that really want to play in college.
Yep, calling someone a slimeball in college basketball these days is putting yourself on thin ice. They all seem to think this is the only way to get it done. It seems to be due to the AAU and sneaker deal issues, but they all just want the big contract, so they know they need to win. As far as fans go, most don't seem to care. Look at what happened at LSU this weekend. They were booing the AD since he suspended the coach who seems to be busted red handed. Personally, I don't care about winning if it isn't done right. By right I mean that competition should be straight up and be about working hard and playing it straight. Of course, in our world, that makes me a dreamer. Perhaps they should just shut down college athletics and let everything be professional. I already miss the college basketball that I grew up loving, and I'm sure that I would miss college football, but it may be what is best at this point. Roll Tide!

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

I wish the NBA would go to the baseball model. The kids are draft eligible out of HS. If they choose to go to college, they are not draft eligible again until after their Junior year if they go to a 4 year school or after 2 years if they go the juco route and graduate. D1 coaches would then know they have a kid for 3 years and can plan their rosters better.
Agreed.

I also agree on the NBA going back to letting kids enter the draft, it will take a few years before it comes back but it will help clean up college basketball. This is what happened after the NBA came up with the one and done rule. Now it's literally chaos

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

In February the NBA sent the NBAPA the framework to go back to letting players enter the drafter out of high school. If passed, it won't be implemented until a few years, but it seems to be on the way back.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

In February the NBA sent the NBAPA the framework to go back to letting players enter the drafter out of high school. If passed, it won't be implemented until a few years, but it seems to be on the way back.
It's coming. The present system of making a Sexton, etc., do one year of penance on a college campus is a farce...

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Why did the NBA create the "one and done" rule? What was the issue back then with drafting high school players? Seems to have worked out great for Kobe and Lebron.
Because there were other kids with no business entering the draft yet declaring, and the NBA wanted more time to evaluate prospects.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Because there were other kids with no business entering the draft yet declaring, and the NBA wanted more time to evaluate prospects.
Yep. People getting real bad advice from people that only want to benefit from the kid going pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Yes. It had gotten to the point that way too many kids would declare for the NBA draft and not get drafted at all. For every Lebron James or Coby Bryant there are probably at least 40 kids who came out and never made an NBA team or even G league. At that point, they could not go to college because most had taken money from an agent. The NBA should not allow the high school kids to have an agent unless they get drafted thus keeping the kids who don't get drafted eligible to play in college.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

Yes. It had gotten to the point that way too many kids would declare for the NBA draft and not get drafted at all. For every Lebron James or Coby Bryant there are probably at least 40 kids who came out and never made an NBA team or even G league. At that point, they could not go to college because most had taken money from an agent. The NBA should not allow the high school kids to have an agent unless they get drafted thus keeping the kids who don't get drafted eligible to play in college.
Could make it more like baseball, I guess, and let them remain eligible.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

#FireJJ

Not a big deal for AU, but I'd guess we're about to cut ties with Ira.
I agree it doesn't seem to be an issue for Auburn.

Perception-wise, a show-caused coach having to let go of two coaches because of this stuff (Persons and now Ira) doesn't look great, though.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Tangentially related:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/investigations-college-admissions-and-testing-bribery-scheme

LSU fans were over the moon because a “former Texas varsity coach” was rumored to be among the indictments. They automatically assumed it would be Barnes.

Then the indictments dropped. No Barnes, but UT’s tennis coach has some explaining to do, lol.
Guess it's easy to be a lower paid coach if you're making that kind of money on the side.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Tangentially related:

https://www.justice.gov/usao-ma/investigations-college-admissions-and-testing-bribery-scheme

LSU fans were over the moon because a “former Texas varsity coach” was rumored to be among the indictments. They automatically assumed it would be Barnes.

Then the indictments dropped. No Barnes, but UT’s tennis coach has some explaining to do, lol.
This one is starting to blow up. Corruption linked to SAT/ACT...............who could imagine?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: FBI Probe of College Basketball Players, Coaches, and NBA Agents

Curious where Wade learned how it all works. Was mentioned on the radio yesterday his statements indicate this wasn't his first time doing it.

His coaching career:

2005-007: Clemson (GA)
2007-2009: Harvard
2009-2013: VCU
2013-2015: Chattanooga (HC)
2015-2017: VCU (HC)
2017-present: LSU (HC)

Anyone think he was learning those tricks at Harvard? Maybe learned them from Shaka at VCU?
Scott Sanderson was asked about it today on the radio. He said many coaches in the profession knew something was happening while Wade was at Chattanooga, so he is surprised LSU didn't already know of Wade's past.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.