FBI Probe of College Basketball

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

When the motivation to play a sport shifted from a love of the game, teamwork and competition, and was replaced with making tons of money, this stuff was unavoidable.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

This may be too big for the NCAA to handle. NCAA basketball has the potential to be blown up, not just AU.
I don't usually agree with you for obvious reasons, but the NCAA might be the ultimate victim. If this explodes and goes further than the schools mentioned, the NCAA will suffer. I've long said that basketball recruiting was and is dirtier than any other sport. The NCAA exists only because of the NCAA basketball tournament rights and without them, they have no ability to exist. This may spur the big 5 power conferences to bolt and form their own athletic association.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

So basically coaches were taking money to get players to sign shoe deals down the road with ADIDAS? Is that actually an NCAA violation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Louisville...............

In a sworn statement from FBI agent John Vourderis, he wrote: "I have learned that in or around May of 2017, at the request of at least once coach from University-6, Dawkins, James Gatto, a/k/a "Jim," Merl Code, Munish Sood, the defendants, and other agreed to funnel $100,000 (payable in four installments) from Company-1 to the family of Player-10. Shortly after the agreement with the family of Player-10 was reached in late May or early June, Player-10 publicly committed to University-6."

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

U$Cw............

"We were shocked to learn this morning through news reports about the FBI investigation and arrests related to NCAA basketball programs, including the arrest of USC assistant coach Tony Bland," USC athletic director Lynn Swann said in a Tuesday statement. "USC Athletics maintains the highest standards in athletic compliance across all of our programs and does not tolerate misconduct in any way. We will fully cooperate with the investigation and will assist authorities as needed, and if these allegations are true, we will take the needed action."
OK, whatever.............

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Okie Lite:

A criminal complaint quoted Evans in several instances bragging about his ability to steer the young athletes toward prospective agents and advisers, promising them that “every guy I recruit and get is my personal kid.”
Evans said it was necessary to use his influence over the youngsters early in their college careers because many of them are “one and done,” meaning they play one or two years of college ball before joining the NBA, according to court papers.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

So basically coaches were taking money to get players to sign shoe deals down the road with ADIDAS? Is that actually an NCAA violation?
The first step was to pay off the player to go to a school with an opportunistic assistant, who then took bribes to get the student to sign with agents and Adidas. So yes, the NCAA may be able to do something. Assuming that there's anything left.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

How and why did the FBI get their camel's nose under the tent?
Sounds like someone was under investigation, by the SEC (no, not our conference), and as in all Federal cases, they apply pressure to the charged to name names. In this case, the defendant told the FBI that they had been involved, in these sort of corrupt activities, and was willing to name others who are actively doing it.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Where this could get interesting is if or when the players and their families that were accepting money from coaches, agents, and Adidas guys start talking. This could get even more interesting real quick.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011

As is Wiley and Heron. They can turn their uniforms in now. The Wiley ordeal was shady from the very start. Mom's were receiving the cash according to one report? Wow.
Clearing a few legal barriers before he's fired with cause. He gone.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

I thought for sure we'd see a Jacobs letter announcing the "retirement" of Person. I guess Jay couldn't get in front of this one. 😳

On a serious note, not that I'd shed tears over auburn's troubles, I do feel bad for some of my AU friends and Dub as they didn't ask for this but will suffer for it. If people would just do the right thing...

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

As is Wiley and Heron. They can turn their uniforms in now. The Wiley ordeal was shady from the very start. Mom's were receiving the cash according to one report? Wow.
And we know that extra cash was reported to the IRS, correct? Just speculating but that could give players and families involved to open up about how deep the knowledge of these deals went. Did it begin and end with Person or did Pearl and others know?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa

I think Pearl and other head coaches over these assistants are all due a long show-cause. Considering Pearl's history, he may be effectively blackballed from the sport.

The old firewall strategy is dead with the NCAA. The head coach is responsible for nearly all of his assistant's actions now. I think these head coaches have more on the line than the assistants with the NCAA at least.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.