FBI Probe of College Basketball (Breaking - Wade Suspended) - Page 5
Page 5 of 58 FirstFirst 1234567891011121555 ... LastLast
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

Quote Originally Posted by RTR91 View Post
    "Similar things" means doing stuff on a smaller scale as to what is mentioned in the complaints.

This stuff has been rumored for years. The FBI was able to uncover it all because it has subpoena power the NCAA doesn't. No Power 5 team is clean of this. None.
    We'll have to agree to disagree. What's being alleged here is flat out buying recruits for a 6 figure sum. All power 5 teams aren't guilty of that. The response by AUDub is such a typical barner response. "Ah, we got caught doing it so everybody's doing it." No, that's not the situation in this case IMO. Plus, AU hired a coach who has a history of cheating and so there's probable cause there to begin with. Someone can educate me if I'm wrong but how many coaches have we hired that were known cheaters and under a show cause?

BamaNation Hall of Fame CrimsonForce's Avatar

Can someone provide cliff notes of the press conference?

Suspended

From the Person bio on the official aub website...

A force on the recruiting trail, Person helped Auburn land three of the best signing classes in program history in 2015, 2016, which included Auburn's first five-star recruit in history in Mustapha Heron and six four-star recruits, and 2017, which was ranked as high as No. 2 in the nation with a five-star and two four-stars before 17-year-old Austin Wiley enrolled in Auburn in December.

Wiley was Auburn's second five-star in history, both coming in consecutive classes
    . The 2015 class would be ranked as high as 10th-best in the nation and was graded as an A-minus by ESPN. The 2016 class was ranked 25th.

"They were tremendous. They have great chemistry between the two of them," said the SEC Network's John Pelphrey of head coach Bruce Pearl and Person. "They are a dynamic tandem right now in recruiting and coaching."

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    We'll have to agree to disagree. What's being alleged here is flat out buying recruits for a 6 figure sum. All power 5 teams aren't guilty of that. The response by AUDub is such a typical barner response. "Ah, we got caught doing it so everybody's doing it." No, that's not the situation in this case IMO. Plus, AU hired a coach who has a history of cheating and so there's probable cause there to begin with. Someone can educate me if I'm wrong but how many coaches have we hired that were known cheaters and under a show cause?
    You're on Twitter. You have to see plenty of college basketball reporters say "this is no surprise... we've tried to tell you for years."

AAU and shoe companies have long been said to be filthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonForce View Post
    Can someone provide cliff notes of the press conference?
    Pretty much reading summaries of the complaints so far.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."
    -- Nick Saban day after beating Clemson

Last edited by RTR91; September 26th, 2017 at 11:34 AM.
    "I don't know what class is but I can tell when one has it, you can tell from a mile away"
    -- Coach Bryant

"We always talk about playing 60 minutes but this is a 60-10 game: the 60 minutes of the game and the 10 minutes in the locker room after the game that you remember for the rest of your life."

BamaNation First Team Bamagirl26's Avatar

NCAA unaware of the investigation until today.
    Trapped in enemy territory!

-- Coach Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Bamagirl26 View Post
    This may be too big for the NCAA to handle. NCAA basketball has the potential to be blown up, not just AU.
    Just a barner.
    Auburn attempted 40 3 pointers while Tennessee only attempted 15. This kills the one seed.

BamaNation Hall of Fame Chukker Veteran's Avatar

When the motivation to play a sport shifted from a love of the game, teamwork and competition, and was replaced with making tons of money, this stuff was unavoidable.

BamaNation All-American

Quote Originally Posted by AUDub View Post
    This may be too big for the NCAA to handle. NCAA basketball has the potential to be blown up, not just AU.
    I don't usually agree with you for obvious reasons, but the NCAA might be the ultimate victim. If this explodes and goes further than the schools mentioned, the NCAA will suffer. I've long said that basketball recruiting was and is dirtier than any other sport. The NCAA exists only because of the NCAA basketball tournament rights and without them, they have no ability to exist. This may spur the big 5 power conferences to bolt and form their own athletic association.

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bamagirl26 View Post

NCAA spokeswoman Gail Dent, when asked for a statement from the NCAA, said, "Nothing on this end. We'll let you know if that changes."
    Good to know they are on top of this! </blue font>
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"

BamaNation Hall of Fame Crimson1967's Avatar

So basically coaches were taking money to get players to sign shoe deals down the road with ADIDAS? Is that actually an NCAA violation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaNation Hall of Fame cuda.1973's Avatar

Louisville...............

In a sworn statement from FBI agent John Vourderis, he wrote: "I have learned that in or around May of 2017, at the request of at least once coach from University-6, Dawkins, James Gatto, a/k/a "Jim," Merl Code, Munish Sood, the defendants, and other agreed to funnel $100,000 (payable in four installments) from Company-1 to the family of Player-10. Shortly after the agreement with the family of Player-10 was reached in late May or early June, Player-10 publicly committed to University-6."
    "I hate morning people.
    And mornings.

And people!"