FBI Probe of College Basketball

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

As is Wiley and Heron. They can turn their uniforms in now. The Wiley ordeal was shady from the very start. Mom's were receiving the cash according to one report? Wow.
As of right now Auburn's involvement is related to Person connecting them to agents and then getting kickbacks for himself and the players, effectively making them ineligible, but there definitely could be some dirt around their recruitment too. The evidence will continue to pour out with the wire taps.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

I think Pearl and other head coaches over these assistants are all due a long show-cause. Considering Pearl's history, he may be effectively blackballed from the sport.

The old firewall strategy is dead with the NCAA. The head coach is responsible for nearly all of his assistant's actions now. I think these head coaches have more on the line than the assistants with the NCAA at least.
Pearl hasn't been implicated yet. Don't know if it will stay that way but as of now he has some plausible deniability.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Pearl hasn't been implicated yet. Don't know if it will stay that way but as of now he has some plausible deniability.
What is the general mood on your team's board? Are they blaming it all on Person or do they think Pearl needs to go?

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

I saw the headline on the article earlier but didn't realize it was this extensive. Like others have said, I'm a BAMA fan but I'm also a basketball fan. Sorry to see this is all the case Dub.

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

Pretty obvious the Feds wanted to break this before practice started

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

Pretty daunting when the Federal investigator spoke to others that might be involved that " we have your playbook" and the investigation will continue

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I think the early signing period comes in November. I feel sure they didn't want any other recruits bought and paid for before they had the opportunity to sign with School X. It gives them time to find a new place to play.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

With Pearl's past history at Tennessee and the show cause given, looking at the NCAA Bylaws (11.1) concerning the Head Coach's responsibility to monitor, it really doesn't look positive for him.

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/DI_Enf_387100_HeadCoachRes-20160208.pdf
I agree. I think the FBI saying the schools were defrauded, along with having transcripts between Person and the player to keep it between them and only them, is a pretty solid rebuttal to go along with the wiretaps. Given the way the bylaw is structured though, it's probably the defense of the damned.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

No clue why, but Arizona has cancelled its team media day for Wednesday while Auburn has cancelled Bruce Pearl's press conference for tomorrow.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011

Pretty morose at the Family. Lot of calls to fire JJ. Lot of anger at Chuck. Taking a wait and see approach on Pearl.
You knew you were talking a chance with Pearl. (Kind of like Kiffin).

But Chuck is (I don't mean this to make fun) family. I understand being angry at him. He has really screwed you over if all this is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Just talked to my Zona buddy. Didn't get to talk long, but he related 2 recruits that are probably right in the middle of this mess. He is not happy, but at least he isn't in denial.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Anyone who believes Chuck Person went out on his own to New York for the purpose of soliciting money for recruits is kidding themselves. Doesn't someone who coaches there have a history of getting recruits from that area of the country.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

You knew you were talking a chance with Pearl. (Kind of like Kiffin).

But Chuck is (I don't mean this to make fun) family. I understand being angry at him. He has really screwed you over if all this is true.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As has the Legacy Family, the Orr-Wiley part of this. No one I have seen even mentioning this aspect

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.