FBI Probe of College Basketball

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

Anyone who believes Chuck Person went out on his own to New York for the purpose of soliciting money for recruits is kidding themselves. Doesn't someone who coaches there have a history of getting recruits from that area of the country.
Very perceptive post

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

I'm not given to hyperbole but based on what I'm reading....is this the biggest scandal in college sports history?

Sure sounds like it to me.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I'm not given to hyperbole but based on what I'm reading....is this the biggest scandal in college sports history?

Sure sounds like it to me.

Think it may depend on how much more comes out - but even at this point it has to be close...

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Late to this party....2 quick observations

1. ESPN doesn't seem to think it's bigger than Dwayne Wade signing with the Cavs OR Jerry Jones taking a knee....
2. This is just the tip of the iceburg....and if you think Football is not in the crosshairs, we are all crazy

I have never dreaded reading through a thread so much in my life....was worried it was us.....

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

1. ESPN doesn't seem to think it's bigger than Dwayne Wade signing with the Cavs OR Jerry Jones taking a knee....
2. This is just the tip of the iceburg....and if you think Football is not in the crosshairs, we are all crazy

I have never dreaded reading through a thread so much in my life....was worried it was us.....
1) espn sux and has no modern relevance, at least for intelligent folks
2) Hope you are not right....Hope you are not right

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

Great points. As far as basketball is concerned, Grant refused to recruit in the AAU circuit because it’s such a dirty “game” and this might be one good thing he did as our coach with this coming to light. I know CAJ is connected to the AAU programs, especially those in Texas. He seems to be above the fray in the way he runs our program.

You’re right though. This probably will go deeper than basketball. It’s been waiting to be exposed for quite some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

Several thoughts here, not all good:

1. Bruce Pearl and Jay Jacobs cannot claim both control over the program (i.e., absence of Lack of Institutional Control) and ignorance of the problem. If they had control, they knew. If they didn't know, they didn't have control. Pick your poison, guys.

2. Rick Pitino and Bruce Pearl both have histories of a casual relationship with the truth in their interactions with the NCAA. Backed by subpoenaed testimony, under threat of perjury, neither can expect mercy from the (now embarrassed) NCAA. They're both dead men walking.

3. The NCAA shouldn't be as embarrassed as the press is making them out. This whole thing came up as a result of an unrelated investigation into securities fraud on the part of one of the "financial advisers." Due to the gravity of the situation, the perp rolled to get a lighter charge and/or sentence.

The NCAA has nothing remotely close to that kind of power, and shouldn't be held to a standard that presupposes it does.

4. Every one of the 400 or so schools playing scholarship basketball should be a bit puckered right now. Guilt here is a function of degree and how far down that curve the Feds want to pursue. If you think any of the 400 is virgin pure on this, I have a bridge in Brooklyn that will look great in your back yard.

5. With today's publicity, expect lots of lawyering. So, kind of like the Wells Fargo scandal, there will be a dramatic slowing of the drip of information. But it's a long way from over.

6. Think the Title IX folks and the FBI might collaborate? Based only on today's revelations, Auburn is uniquely vulnerable here. Depending on the collateral fallout, Baylor could join them at some point in the future.

7. Don't crow just because your school wasn't spotlighted today. This is nowhere near done. When people are hopelessly busted and looking to avoid jail time, nobody is safe.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Don't crow just because your school wasn't spotlighted today. This is nowhere near done. When people are hopelessly busted and looking to avoid jail time, nobody is safe.
Saw this posted earlier on Facebook: 'you have to begin to wonder if there will be enough teams for an NCAA tournament in a year or three...'

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

I need a little education here. Why here why now? In every prior instance where a recruit and/or his family received something under the table it was the product to some degree of conspiracy, bribery, fraud, racketeering, laundering, blackmail, coercion, and duress. Laws were broken in every instance based on what we know today.

More recently, where were the Feds in the Cam scandal, the Miami scandal, the Ole Miss scandal, North Carolina scandal, etc? This stuff has been going on forever in college sports. What are they going to do, prosecute every coach in the game? Do we really surmise that UofL, Auburn, Arizona, and USC were the only schools playing a strategy that probably was working in the background?

80% of what has went down over the years could have been eliminated if coaches knew they could be prosecuted for a felony and potential prison time. This kind of activity needs to stop certainly but does Chuck Person really need to go to prison for activity that has been standard operating procedure for at least 30 years by virtually every competitive college program.

How does the NCAA exist beyond this point? Is every investigation from here on out reduced to them running to the Feds with circumstancial information which is all they can recreate in most cases? Criminal investigations even if ultimately proven untrue still ruin lives.

From my viewpoint, there needs to be a new framework of laws created that going forward that the brokering, solicitation, etc of anything of value in conjunction with the education of a student involving a grant of scholarship aid is a felony punishable with prison time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

I need a little education here. Why here why now? In every prior instance where a recruit and/or his family received something under the table it was the product to some degree of conspiracy, bribery, fraud, racketeering, laundering, blackmail, coercion, and duress. Laws were broken in every instance based on what we know today.

More recently, where were the Feds in the Cam scandal, the Miami scandal, the Ole Miss scandal, North Carolina scandal, etc? This stuff has been going on forever in college sports. What are they going to do, prosecute every coach in the game? Do we really surmise that UofL, Auburn, Arizona, and USC were the only schools playing a strategy that probably was working in the background?

80% of what has went down over the years could have been eliminated if coaches knew they could be prosecuted for a felony and potential prison time. This kind of activity needs to stop certainly but does Chuck Person really need to go to prison for activity that has been standard operating procedure for at least 30 years by virtually every competitive college program.

How does the NCAA exist beyond this point? Is every investigation from here on out reduced to them running to the Feds with circumstancial information which is all they can recreate in most cases? Criminal investigations even if ultimately proven untrue still ruin lives.

From my viewpoint, there needs to be a new framework of laws created that going forward that the brokering, solicitation, etc of anything of value in conjunction with the education of a student involving a grant of scholarship aid is a felony punishable with prison time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
This all traces back to wire/securities fraud. There's no federal law against a bag man giving a kid $50K or whatever to play ball - other than unreported income on the part of the parents.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

ESPN probably has some huge basketball contracts potentially drawing lower ratings.

Let me put it this way.......they lost 6,767 subscribers PER DAY last month. They're taking a bath publicly on the whole national anthem thing (fairly or
unfairly, they are)..........and now this...

This isn't the first time - ESPN is the master of touting meaningless stories as significant.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Yep, ESPN bet the farm on the NBA. This "kneeling protest" crap will go viral, in the NBA, especially if Drumpf keeps on it. ESPN sees their bottom line falling out below them.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

My brother the newsman just texted me ESPN is reporting Rick Pitino has already informed assistants he expects to be fired.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

From the so-called worldwide leader...............

Who is Marty Blazer?
In U.S. Department of Justice documents obtained by ESPN, Louis Martin "Marty" Blazer III is the witness who cooperated with the FBI in its investigation of the coaches and other defendants.
Blazer, a former Pittsburgh financial adviser who was accused of swindling $2.35 million from five clients by the Securities and Exchange Commission and founded Blazer Capital Management, was accused of investing money into movies and entertainment ventures without his clients' knowledge between 2010 and 2012. As part of his plea agreement with the U.S. Attorney's office, Blazer agreed to plead guilty to securities fraud, aggravated identity theft, false statements and documents, and two counts of wire fraud, according to the Sept. 19 cooperation agreement.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

From the so-called worldwide leader...............
This is from Mark Schlabah’s piece. It is the most informative I’ve read yet on this situation. Which is not surprising as his stuff is usually very good. One good writer ESPN kept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.