FBI Probe of College Basketball

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

They've got video of Pitino leaving from a meeting at an athletic building and as the reporter walks up Pitino smugly says "you don't belong on this property." Pitino has a complete lack of self awareness and the attitude of someone who thinks he above the law. Can't wait to see him get fired. Hope he never coaches again..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

According to sources, Tom Jurich was asked to fire Rick Pitino, refused, both were fired..

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Haven't heard a peep about Kentucky or Calipari being involved in this. I wonder if they're clean IRT the FBI investigation..

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Auburn offering to refund season tickets to fans. No word on suspending players. How long before we hear the line that they didn't know and are therefore innocent victims?

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Auburn offering to refund season tickets to fans. No word on suspending players. How long before we hear the line that they didn't know and are therefore innocent victims?
They have one player on tape. Plus, the Cam excuse is no longer really viable.

I would think there should be more pressing issues than tickets - interesting to me that is the first action from down there

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002

The outcome of all of this will be interesting. It will either "reform" NCAA basketball or hasten the departure of the "Power 5" into a new NCAA category.

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

I need a little education here. Why here why now? In every prior instance where a recruit and/or his family received something under the table it was the product to some degree of conspiracy, bribery, fraud, racketeering, laundering, blackmail, coercion, and duress. Laws were broken in every instance based on what we know today.

More recently, where were the Feds in the Cam scandal, the Miami scandal, the Ole Miss scandal, North Carolina scandal, etc? This stuff has been going on forever in college sports. What are they going to do, prosecute every coach in the game? Do we really surmise that UofL, Auburn, Arizona, and USC were the only schools playing a strategy that probably was working in the background?

80% of what has went down over the years could have been eliminated if coaches knew they could be prosecuted for a felony and potential prison time. This kind of activity needs to stop certainly but does Chuck Person really need to go to prison for activity that has been standard operating procedure for at least 30 years by virtually every competitive college program.

How does the NCAA exist beyond this point? Is every investigation from here on out reduced to them running to the Feds with circumstancial information which is all they can recreate in most cases? Criminal investigations even if ultimately proven untrue still ruin lives.

From my viewpoint, there needs to be a new framework of laws created that going forward that the brokering, solicitation, etc of anything of value in conjunction with the education of a student involving a grant of scholarship aid is a felony punishable with prison time.
You may well get your wish. I wonder how long before the NCAA's existence is threatened?

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

Per the Louisville Presser-

Administrative leave for Jurich (paid leave) and Pitino (unpaid leave). Jurich will be reviewed on Oct. 18. Pitino has so many days to have his case heard before the BOT as per his contract. I expect both to be terminated.

Also one player has been suspended for his and the program’s “benefit.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

From my viewpoint, there needs to be a new framework of laws created that going forward that the brokering, solicitation, etc of anything of value in conjunction with the education of a student involving a grant of scholarship aid is a felony punishable with prison time.

JD, the laws you want may already exist under the broad heading of honest services fraud, one of the major elements of public corruption cases. Because they work at public schools, Chuck Person et al are considered government employees. If they indeed stuck their arms deep down into the money bag, they welched on the 'honest services' they're paid to provide to their schools and taypayers.
Why now? Maybe it's this: For perhaps the first time, these bagman cases are not isolated to a single school or single player. Instead, the Justice Department and the FBI can prove a criminal conspiracy involving widespread public corruption.

Last edited:

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Per the Louisville Presser-

Administrative leave for Jurich (paid leave) and Pitino (unpaid leave). Jurich will be reviewed on Oct. 18. Pitino has so many days to have his case heard before the BOT as per his contract. I expect both to be terminated.

Also one player has been suspended for his and the program’s “benefit.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Rick "what was Hugh Freeze calling my girls for, can't he find his own" Pitino was shocked to learn of wrong-doing going own at Louisville. Shocked, I say.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Sources: Employees of Nike's EYBL grassroots division, along with documents, have been subpoenaed by FBI in furtherance of investigation..

**EYBL is NIKE’s attempt to revolutionize the grassroots basketball scene. EYBL stands for Elite Youth Basketball League (falls under NIKE’s Elite Youth division). The EYBL was a major success over the spring and summer AAU circuit with everyone talking about how NIKE has finally made AAU teams compete for something other than individual success.

Last edited:

Mke4Bama

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2006
Cullman (Good Hope)

2018 five-star guard Anfernee Simons just decommitted from Louisville. No. 14 player in the country.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.