FBI Probe of College Basketball

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

I think that this is the equivalent of a nuclear bomb going off at the NCAA headquarters. Basketball is the NCAA's life blood. Without it, they will have no financial base to pay employees much less govern 400 schools. I also believe this is a wakeup call for the Power 5. Football has long been treated differently that basketball when it come to punishing offenders. When was the last time you saw a basketball school get hammered? For example, North Carolina has yet to be punished yet for their violations. I can go down a litany of high profile cases the NCAA has either bungled or just plain ignored in the past. It is high time the power 5 to become its own entity with its own oversight. They can negotiate their own basketball tournament and get a bigger payday than having to share it with Eastern Podunck state. The power 5 really has no use for the NCAA. The NCAA needs them more than the power 5 needs it.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

If they get Nike in this investigation, it will burn college sports to the ground. Nike = going nuclear.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

If they get Nike in this investigation, it will burn college sports to the ground. Nike = going nuclear.
Holy Jeezus........wow.....(I was expecting this; nobody was going to tell me Adidas was a lone offender here)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

Please pardon my ignorance here, but I've never pretended to be an online lawyer.

Can one of y'all explain what specifically is illegal about what and where this involves the FBI justifiably?

My logic (admittedly weak) or thought process is that since the coaches involved work for federally funded universities, this sort of taking a bribe is
double whammy bad (comparison: lying is bad but not illegal, lying under oath is perjury). And also probably violates some sort of fair market laws where the shoe companies are concerned?

Is this right or am I missing something?

Any help appreciated. I understand enough to know it's real bad but.....

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

Nike has had documents subpoenaed

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

I think that this is the equivalent of a nuclear bomb going off at the NCAA headquarters. Basketball is the NCAA's life blood. Without it, they will have no financial base to pay employees much less govern 400 schools. I also believe this is a wakeup call for the Power 5. Football has long been treated differently that basketball when it come to punishing offenders. When was the last time you saw a basketball school get hammered? For example, North Carolina has yet to be punished yet for their violations. I can go down a litany of high profile cases the NCAA has either bungled or just plain ignored in the past. It is high time the power 5 to become its own entity with its own oversight. They can negotiate their own basketball tournament and get a bigger payday than having to share it with Eastern Podunck state. The power 5 really has no use for the NCAA. The NCAA needs them more than the power 5 needs it.
The ncaa has known forever that the aau was totally corrupt and could have fixed it long ago, but didn't. Why? MONEY!

The ncaa needs to be totally nuked!

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

Please pardon my ignorance here, but I've never pretended to be an online lawyer.

Can one of y'all explain what specifically is illegal about what and where this involves the FBI justifiably?

My logic (admittedly weak) or thought process is that since the coaches involved work for federally funded universities, this sort of taking a bribe is
double whammy bad (comparison: lying is bad but not illegal, lying under oath is perjury). And also probably violates some sort of fair market laws where the shoe companies are concerned?

Is this right or am I missing something?

Any help appreciated. I understand enough to know it's real bad but.....

Bill, it all boils down to violations of federal law. Interstate commerce, public corruption (which often falls to the feds), wire fraud. There's even a charge in the Person documents called Travel Act Conspiracy, which basically boils down to using the mail, data lines or traveling across state lines to carry out their schemes. All are federal violations. Ergo, the FBI handles the investigation in connection with the presiding U.S. Attorney's Office.

The bureau also has the authority to handle investigations that involve multiple jurisdictions. In that way, federal prosecutors in New York can end up with a coast-to-coast case -- if that's where the evidence leads.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

[/B][/I]

Bill, it all boils down to violations of federal law. Interstate commerce, public corruption (which often falls to the feds), wire fraud. There's even a charge in the Person documents called Travel Act Conspiracy, which basically boils down to using the mail, data lines or traveling across state lines to carry out their schemes. All are federal violations. Ergo, the FBI handles the investigation in connection with the presiding U.S. Attorney's Office.

The bureau also has the authority to handle investigations that involve multiple jurisdictions. In that way, federal prosecutors in New York can end up with a coast-to-coast case -- if that's where the evidence leads.
This might need to move to NS -- because this is really not a basketball issue anymore....plus, I believe the end game is to put an end to college athletics....(at least the money-making ones)

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana

This might need to move to NS -- because this is really not a basketball issue anymore....plus, I believe the end game is to put an end to college athletics....(at least the money-making ones)
I'm content with it being here, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a twin thread soon appear on NS.

pigsinspace

1st Team
Jan 26, 2011

Anthony Grant is going to be one of the most sought after coaches in the country now.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Cecil just tweeted that there will be an announcement about UA basketball shortly.

Ugggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

edit - Pat Forde saying the same thing. Guy is a royal tool but a slam bang reporter.

Keep in mind that Sexton and Petty both played for the Nike EYBL.

I'm just going to avoid the rush and devote all my energy to Samford athletics.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Lord... I hope this is all we have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

it took less than a day to find something? That can't be too good

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Also, Kobe worked for the NCAA before coming back to Alabama. Wonder if his resignation is related to his time there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.