FBI Probe of College Basketball

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

I've no idea if this probe touches UA basketball, but there's no need in rushing to judgement and assuming the worst regarding our program - let's exercise a little patience.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al

This is huge. I've heard that there will be more resignations from other schools in coming days.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

I've no idea if this probe touches UA basketball, but there's no need in rushing to judgement and assuming the worst regarding our program - let's exercise a little patience.
Why not have transparency? Why not tell us why this guy Baker was fired. In fact they should tell us.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Local radio guy Scott Griffin - with loads of longtime connects - has sources telling him that Bruce Pearl and Sean Miller are in boiling hot water.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

Local radio guy Scott Griffin - with loads of longtime connects - has sources telling him that Bruce Pearl and Sean Miller are in boiling hot water.
Well, right now I think of lot of programs are in trouble and it's just going to get stankier.

Skeeterpop

Hall of Fame
Jul 18, 2008

This sounds more along the lines of missuse of funds or phone or text messages used inappropriately. They said no NCAA or SEC rules were found to be broken but he resigned. So they found something inappropriate in some other capacity it sounds.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

This sounds more along the lines of missuse of funds or phone or text messages used inappropriately. They said no NCAA or SEC rules were found to be broken but he resigned. So they found something inappropriate in some other capacity it sounds.
It is possible that Baker had some relationship with one or more of these sleaze balls in his position at Alabama or one of his other jobs, possibly even when he was with NCAA Compliance.

What better way to cover your tracks than being involved in university or NCAA compliance? Except the Feds got involved.

But as you say Pop, could be when these firestorm hit yesterday, the university did a thorough audit of all departments and found Baker has his hand in the university cookie jar.

i suspect, as with Bo Davis, the truth will come out soon.

Pilot172000

1st Team
Sep 25, 2017
Winnsboro, LA

I have a feeling that this is going to be a monumental shift in college basketball and few teams will go untouched. I could see a lot of super talented kids forgoing the College model altogether and moving straight to the G-League.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX

I have a feeling that this is going to be a monumental shift in college basketball and few teams will go untouched. I could see a lot of super talented kids forgoing the College model altogether and moving straight to the G-League.
They may have to based on the NCAA's interpretation of "amateur athlete."

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Jamie Barnes is as well connected as any ...... out there - issuing warnings tonight about throwing stones at the Barn.

Ugh.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Cecil Hurt made the comment that the "one and done" needs to be removed from college basketball. They need to treat them like MLB does with high school baseball players. Allow them to be drafted out of high school and turn pro or play college ball and be drafted after their junior year of college.

If they can make it in the NBA like Lebron or Kobe right out of high school, more power to them. If they can't, the NBA and the apparel/shoe companies can establish a d-league for those players.

It won't solve all these problems with these vultures, but it is a start.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

Not familiar with him? What's his connection to those in the know?
It's a TiderInsider thing - can't flesh it out more - but if you follow him, he's always in the know. Simple as that - there are others, too - Jimmy Stein, Patrick Walls, etc.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

Starting to look like the feds have cast a wide net on this and many more will be implicated.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

Jamie Barnes is as well connected as any ...... out there - issuing warnings tonight about throwing stones at the Barn.

Ugh.
Could he just be referring to the Baker resignation or is it something else ?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.