FBI Probe of College Basketball

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Re: FBI Probe of College Basketball Players, Coaches, and NBA Agents

I’m not sure what crime Miller would have committed.

The FBI is looking into this because of tax evasion and money laundering from what I’ve read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Miller hasn't been indicted, so probably no crime. But what he did is without a doubt an NCAA violation. They have in on the same stuff as Pitino.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Miller hasn't been indicted, so probably no crime. But what he did is without a doubt an NCAA violation. They have in on the same stuff as Pitino.
Most likely but the FBI has continued to indicate this is an ongoing investigation. Schlabach says this report is only based on a few phone calls out of over 3,000 hours of wiretaps. There could be more evidence to get him.

And there's always the possibility some of the indicted guys start singing and providing more information than the NCAA has.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

Most likely but the FBI has continued to indicate this is an ongoing investigation. Schlabach says this report is only based on a few phone calls out of over 3,000 hours of wiretaps. There could be more evidence to get him.

And there's always the possibility some of the indicted guys start singing and providing more information than the NCAA has.
I may be dense, but it looks like to me a straight-forward charge of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, which is a specific offense, depending on how the 100K was to be delivered, which is almost always across state lines. I'll have to confess I haven't read the whole thread, nor have I followed the cases closely, other than Sexton of course. I think the "Alabama" and "Sexton" are being thrown in there to drive traffic...

Last edited:

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL

So, Chuck Person was on the barn’s staff, was named by the FBI, but no barn player was paid or given special treatment. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

Talked to my Zona buddy, right before lunch.

He sounded very somber.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

So, Chuck Person was on the barn’s staff, was named by the FBI, but no barn player was paid or given special treatment. Things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm.
It really is a question of what can be proved. Auburn is clearly dirty here, but I don't want to see them (or anyone else) punished without evidence.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

I've been asking that question for some time. While there are all sorts of NCAA rules being broken, I don't see any broken laws. Consequently, I've been wondering for a while what the FBI's interest is.

As it's explained to me, the FBI is interested because the players and coaches are breaking NCAA rules, which ultimately puts the universities' basketball revenue streams in jeopardy. And because they use the airwaves -- cell phones and emails -- to do it, often across state lines, it becomes a federal question.

Now, I think that reasoning is total garbage. In effect, it gives an association's rules the force of federal law. Plus it's wholly inconsistent with the legal reasoning that makes the NCAA so hard to successfully sue.

As I understand it, the NCAA's defense boils down to the fact that they're a voluntary organization. All you have to do to get out from under their rules is leave the organization.

So now it's the FBI's business because the university can lose money due to the endorcement of those very rules?

Count me wholly unconvinced, and a little unnerved. Just because Alabama doesn't play a major role in this case (as far as we know, anyway) doesn't mean we can't find ourselves on the bad end of a massive federal overreach at some point in the future.
I see the concern but tend to disagree in this case. "Steering" business when misrepresenting yourself and your conflicting interests can be (and should be) against the law. Every industry is being forced to become more and more transparent today, and where applied the customer is always better served.

In this case we had young men being "steered" (pretty close to being sold) in a market that many never even knew existed - many have found out that they were played as this investigation has unfolded. They had no idea that they were steered, or if they might have had better opportunities elsewhere. Those that they trusted took advantage of them.

This isn't federal overreach. This is our justice system trying to right a wrong. It won't be perfect, but the attempt is a worthy one, IMO.

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Sean Miller: (to Rick Pitino) “Hold my beer and watch this......”

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Billy says let them go right into the league from high school if they want......others can go the college route.

He may be onto something.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017

could we get Billy to come coach our team. if we were going to make a change Billy Donovan would be who I want. and nothing else.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa

I definitely wish they would allow these dudes to go straight to the NBA again. If they decide to play college ball and get an education, they have to stay three years. I think the college game is much better off without the one and done situation.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I definitely wish they would allow these dudes to go straight to the NBA again. If they decide to play college ball and get an education, they have to stay three years. I think the college game is much better off without the one and done situation.
I think about everyone is in agreement with one point - "one and done" is bad for everyone except the back alley agents. I think it's affecting our team right now...

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

could we get Billy to come coach our team. if we were going to make a change Billy Donovan would be who I want. and nothing else.
Nope, ain't happening. BD ain't leaving OKC for Bama.

Sean Miller: (to Rick Pitino) “Hold my beer and watch this......”
Post of the week right here!:biggrin:

Purifoy and Wiley are not playing this year because of this case, or am I wrong?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Nope, ain't happening. BD ain't leaving OKC for Bama.

Post of the week right here!:biggrin:

Purifoy and Wiley are not playing this year because of this case, or am I wrong?
BD might be forced out of OKC at some point. His regular season record is very good but he lost in the conference finals (after leading GS 3-1) his first year and was bounced in the first round of the playoffs last year despite finishing 2nd in the regular season. It really depends how Westbrook and the other star players feel about him..

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

BD might be forced out of OKC at some point. His regular season record is very good but he lost in the conference finals (after leading GS 3-1) his first year and was bounced in the first round of the playoffs last year despite finishing 2nd in the regular season. It really depends how Westbrook and the other star players feel about him..
Donavan isn't coming to Alabama after we fired his buddy Grant regardless. Put that notion right out of your head.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

So, I get that paying players is against NCAA rules but, what is actually illegal in these cases that the FBI got involved? I mean, if I wanted to walk up to an 18 year old right now and give them $100k, that's not against the law.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So, I get that paying players is against NCAA rules but, what is actually illegal in these cases that the FBI got involved? I mean, if I wanted to walk up to an 18 year old right now and give them $100k, that's not against the law.
From a few pages back:

I’m not sure what crime Miller would have committed.

The FBI is looking into this because of tax evasion and money laundering from what I’ve read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I may be dense, but it looks like to me a straight-forward charge of conspiracy to commit wire fraud, which is a specific offense, depending on how the 100K was to be delivered, which is almost always across state lines. I'll have to confess I haven't read the whole thread, nor have I followed the cases closely, other than Sexton of course. I think the "Alabama" and "Sexton" are being thrown in there to drive traffic...

CECIL HURT: A look at basketball recruiting from a different perspective

Tom Kelsey is a familiar name to many Alabama basketball fans. He served as an assistant to former UA head coach Mark Gottfried for three years.

He went on to be an NAIA head coach at Belhaven and to serve as the director of basketball operations for Johnny Jones at LSU. He now works as a basketball ambassador for Coachtube, which makes specialized coaching videos for, among others, NBA China and NBA Asia. He was also an honest and friendly person away from the court.

Kelsey has no axes to grind, just a perspective to share that can help with understanding exactly how college basketball recruiting works. Big-name coaches — Rick Pitino, Sean Miller — are in screaming headlines.

This isn’t about a particular school. This is a national story, and this is a primer to help people understand how the process has evolved into one that seems to have trampled the old rules to extinction.

If you think all of college basketball is a cesspool, or you think it’s a good barrel with a few bad apples, or you think that your school, wherever it may be, has been sprinkled with magic fairy dust that allows it to hover above the muck, that’s fine. This isn’t about “who,” just “how,” from someone who has insight.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.