FBI Probe of College Basketball

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

Bruce Pearl is he trying to build his resume and he will probably get a new contract.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

I am beginning Pearl will remain.
Tis is Auburn after all where if you "Ain't cheating, you ain't tryin".

Pearl is not going anywhere. I feel sure the president wanted to get rid of him but the PTB on the board told him they run athletics, not him. It amazes me that a state school can blatantly ignore an FBI investigation. Even our Aubie governor didn't declare today school colors day as the Georgia Governor did for the NC Monday.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Surprisingly, Wiley has been ruled out for this season. Completely flies in the face of the rumblings we've been hearing. No word on Purifoy yet.

We also got a commit from 4 star PF Babatunde Akingbola class of 19, who will likely reclassify into this year's class.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Surprisingly, Wiley has been ruled out for this season. Completely flies in the face of the rumblings we've been hearing. No word on Purifoy yet.

We also got a commit from 4 star PF Babatunde Akingbola class of 19, who will likely reclassify into this year's class.
Seems the NCAA is rather certain money exchanged hands. Agree that it is surprising. I would have thought Wiley was the most likely to regain eligibility. This doesn’t bode well for Purifoy.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

Seems the NCAA is rather certain money exchanged hands. Agree that it is surprising. I would have thought Wiley was the most likely to regain eligibility. This doesn’t bode well for Purifoy.
I'm not too terribly broken up about it since we're playing so well at the moment, but man we could have used his size while we're in the meat of our schedule.

Were I Purifoy, I would have been on a plane to Europe yesterday. Go get paid while you audition for the NBA.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Anyone who doesn't think Pearl in the very least complicit in this whole deal is kidding themselves. There is no other explanation why he won't talk to his own school about it.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

Anyone who doesn't think Pearl in the very least complicit in this whole deal is kidding themselves. There is no other explanation why he won't talk to his own school about it.
There's a good reason for that. When the FBI comes knocking the first thing you do is shut the hell up. The second thing is talk to an attorney familiar with DOJ investigations and do nothing without their say so and them present.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

There's a good reason for that. When the FBI comes knocking the first thing you do is shut the hell up. The second thing is talk to an attorney familiar with DOJ investigations and do nothing without their say so and them present.
I completely understand Pearl's reluctance to talk.

What I have trouble getting past is AU's complicity in allowing him to refuse to cooperate in their investigation. He should be fired for the refusal. Just my 2 cents.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

So in other words he'll be taking the 5th. No he has nothing to hide.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

So in other words he'll be taking the 5th. No he has nothing to hide.
When the FBI comes calling, rule number 1 is to JUST. SHUT. UP. It does not matter whether you’re innocent or not, everything you say may be used against you, and you should only say things in carefully controlled circumstances after the benefit of the advice of someone who knows what is going on, i.e. your attorney. The FBI does not have your best interests at heart. Really. Even if you are just a witness, they will be happy if you blurt out something that incriminates you, or seems to incriminate you.

“Shut up.” Always remember those words if you’re interacting with the the DOJ, or even law enforcement in general. Always.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

When the FBI comes calling, rule number 1 is to JUST. SHUT. UP. It does not matter whether you’re innocent or not, everything you say may be used against you, and you should only say things in carefully controlled circumstances after the benefit of the advice of someone who knows what is going on, i.e. your attorney. The FBI does not have your best interests at heart. Really. Even if you are just a witness, they will be happy if you blurt out something that incriminates you, or seems to incriminate you.

“Shut up.” Always remember those words if you’re interacting with the the DOJ, or even law enforcement in general. Always.
No other schools coach has refused to cooperate, but Auburns coach is special. He clearly doesn't want the truth known. People don't hide behind lawyers in an innocent basketball case unless they have something to hide. We all know from past history, Pearl doesn't mind bending the rules. Why should we expect it to be any different in this case. He is getting kids from all over the country to come to Auburn which has been a black hole for basketball for years. Auburn clearly doesn't have a history of sending kids to the NBA since Barkley and the Person brothers so ask yourself why a kid from NYC chooses Auburn.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013

No other schools coach has refused to cooperate, but Auburns coach is special. He clearly doesn't want the truth known. People don't hide behind lawyers in an innocent basketball case unless they have something to hide. We all know from past history, Pearl doesn't mind bending the rules. Why should we expect it to be any different in this case. He is getting kids from all over the country to come to Auburn which has been a black hole for basketball for years. Auburn clearly doesn't have a history of sending kids to the NBA since Barkley and the Person brothers so ask yourself why a kid from NYC chooses Auburn.
Without knowing more about the nature of those other schools’ internal probes, you can’t really make that comparison.

This isn't just a basketball case anymore. It’s a corruption case.

And we don’t have anyone from New York on the roster. In fact, the two players currently riding the pine for their transgressions are both from Alabama.

Last edited:

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017

Hey AUDub what about the new AD and does any Auburn player leave early go pro.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.