All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

If he is fired and Chuck fired I guess that means Stevie Pearl is coach

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

TIFWIW. I hear he has hired his own lawyer. Normally, you have no need to hire a lawyer if you tell the truth and have nothing to hide. I think he is in a catch 22. If he talks to the law firm that is investigating, he may be incriminating himself. This could raise the the FBI"s and the US attorney's office interest. If he doesn't talk he loses his job. Which is better, be indicted or lose your job?
This is an overused misconception. It doesn't matter whether you were involved, not involved, there, not there, knew, or don't know. You should never speak to law enforcement when a material investigation is under way without representation. This is smart on his part.

The guy has a contract to protect, is responsible for several coaches one of which has just been indicted on 6 felony counts and is responsible for several players 2 of which have been declared ineligible indefinitely. You bet the guy needs representation and needs to keep his mouth shut. Even if he is squeaky clean himself he still has to circumvent the standard of "what he should have known" as head coach. Failure to know is not always a crime (but there is something called criminal negligence) but it can be considered negligence in his duties as HC to get him fired for cause.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

2 Auburn support staff suspended today.

Matthews @BMattAU
Auburn bball staffers Frankie Sullivan and Jordan VerHulst put on administrative leave pic.twitter.com/dkvuMoPFvP

10:12 AM - 13 Nov 2017

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

decision is forthcoming on Bruce Pearl.
I will take the decision on Pearl and an indication of the future direction of Auburn's Athletic Dept when it comes to compliance. Obviously Pearl has info he doesn't want the investigators nor the FBI to see so this may be a "catch 22" for him and Auburn. if Auburn keeps him, we all know if will be business as usual on the plains.

I will also be interested in who Auburn hires as a new AD. Ultimately who they hire will have a huge impact on whether they will be the same type of Athletic Dept or will come into this century and play by the rules.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL

SIAP- the ESPN ticker said Pearl stated that Wiley and Purifoy’s situation could change at a “moments notice.” Sounds like he’s confident they’ll be back and all will be back to normal on the Plains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carder24

All-American
Sep 1, 2007
Huntsville, AL

SIAP- the ESPN ticker said Pearl stated that Wiley and Purifoy’s situation could change at a “moments notice.” Sounds like he’s confident they’ll be back and all will be back to normal on the Plains.

he said that, but they didn’t travel with the team - talking out of both sides of his mouth

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017

I heard Pearl maybe fired on Friday right before the IB.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Couple of things:

Rumor going around now is that Wiley could be reinstated as early as this weekend. The question with Wiley is whether or not money actually changed hands. The family states that it didn’t. Person was just throwing Wiley’s name around as one he “could influence”. Purifoy is much more problematic. Not much doubt there was money exchanged.

Additionally, Frankie Sullivan, one of the assistants suspended last week due to the internal investigation has hired an attorney. Sullivan’s attorney claims Auburn still has not notified Frankie as to reason behind his suspension.

OBMS, you are absolutely correct there are a lot of nervous folks down there with the Feds poking around. I had several people expressed concerns about fraud and skimming of funds taking place with Tigers Unlimited. Even the rank and file Auburn fans are questioning how ticket purchases are being handled.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Couple of things:

Rumor going around now is that Wiley could be reinstated as early as this weekend. The question with Wiley is whether or not money actually changed hands. The family states that it didn’t. Person was just throwing Wiley’s name around as one he “could influence”. Purifoy is much more problematic. Not much doubt there was money exchanged.

Additionally, Frankie Sullivan, one of the assistants suspended last week due to the internal investigation has hired an attorney. Sullivan’s attorney claims Auburn still has not notified Frankie as to reason behind his suspension.

OBMS, you are absolutely correct there are a lot of nervous folks down there with the Feds poking around. I had several people expressed concerns about fraud and skimming of funds taking place with Tigers Unlimited. Even the rank and file Auburn fans are questioning how ticket purchases are being handled.
I remember Josh Moon doing a pretty big story about the ticket issue last year when he was with the Montgomery Advertiser.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Just heard on ESPN that Pitino is suing Adidas and Louisville. Suing Adidas for damages caused by this entire scandal. Suing Louisville for firing him without cause.

This man has no shame.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.