FBI Probe of College Basketball

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017
Re: FBI Probe of College Basketball Players, Coaches, and NBA Agents

This stuff on Sexton shouldn't this be old news. could they be any from Auburn.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

This stuff on Sexton shouldn't this be old news. could they be any from Auburn.
As has been said all day, the Sexton news is old. It’s why he missed the Memphis game.

Why are you so worried about Auburn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beatthemtigers

All-American
Jan 4, 2006

Holy smokes, that is crazy. I wonder what kind of penalty that will be for the school, but yeah he’s a goner

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Holy smokes, that is crazy. I wonder what kind of penalty that will be for the school, but yeah he’s a goner
Ayton has appeared in every game. They can’t play him anymore without the NCAA dangling what may be the harshest penalties we’ve seen since SMU. Most likely they’ll be forfeiting this season after the fact anyway, but if they thumb their nose at the NCAA in that fashion, they will get sanctioned to hell.

Miller can not be on the sideline tomorrow. They have him on tape. The folks in charge really have no choice but to suspend him and get the ball rolling on firing him.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States

Of all people AUDub, you should know that the NCAA doesn’t punish anyone these days.

Basketball is their cash cow, they’ll let the feds arrest people and schools fire people. Maybe AAU gets banned. That will be the end of it, can’t hurt that pile of cash that is known as the NCAA Tournament.

Zach

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 25, 2017

Literally every power five conference school has paid for players one way or the other and most other mid majors also. This will not change the way business is done in the long term, only the short term. The NBA needs to change the one and done rule and go to the college baseball rules and this 💩 will end. I am not in the least bit offended by any of this. Who Cares? The feds need to be investigating more important matters then college basketball. There only sticking there noses in this because of unpaid taxes on the money paid out.

CrimsonTheory

All-American
Mar 26, 2012
CrimsonBleedRed

Get rid of the "one and done" rule. I know that's an NBA rule, but it's done more harm than good. Most, if not all, of these "one and done" players don't want to be there, why force them?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Folks worried about how the NCAA will handle this need to consider the FBI might handle it for them by indicting coaches, which makes them impossible to touch even if they never see prison.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

If the FBI evidence became public, couldn't the NCAA use that?

And what law would a guy like Miller have broken?

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I've been asking that question for some time. While there are all sorts of NCAA rules being broken, I don't see any broken laws. Consequently, I've been wondering for a while what the FBI's interest is.

As it's explained to me, the FBI is interested because the players and coaches are breaking NCAA rules, which ultimately puts the universities' basketball revenue streams in jeopardy. And because they use the airwaves -- cell phones and emails -- to do it, often across state lines, it becomes a federal question.

Now, I think that reasoning is total garbage. In effect, it gives an association's rules the force of federal law. Plus it's wholly inconsistent with the legal reasoning that makes the NCAA so hard to successfully sue.

As I understand it, the NCAA's defense boils down to the fact that they're a voluntary organization. All you have to do to get out from under their rules is leave the organization.

So now it's the FBI's business because the university can lose money due to the endorcement of those very rules?

Count me wholly unconvinced, and a little unnerved. Just because Alabama doesn't play a major role in this case (as far as we know, anyway) doesn't mean we can't find ourselves on the bad end of a massive federal overreach at some point in the future.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I’m not sure what crime Miller would have committed.

The FBI is looking into this because of tax evasion and money laundering from what I’ve read.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.