FBI Probe of College Basketball

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

Someone help me here. If Wiley is ineligible this year, how is he eligible next year?

https://twitter.com/abc/status/963527863902330880

The NCAA ruled him ineligible until the 18/19 season.

To clarify, we declared him ineligible when the infraction came to light, then applied for reinstatement. The NCAA ruled him out the remainder of this season, and he will be reinstated at the conclusion unless further infractions come to light.

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

Interesting. So now a kid and/or his family can take money under the table - forfeiting amateur status - and, if caught, still get reinstated. Where's the determent to cheating in that - especially for kids that are one & done or two year players at most? Where's the incentive for the school to monitor for compliance? It would seem Auburn would have to vacate any wins from last season in which Wiley or the other kid played - perhaps that is all forthcoming if there is an NCAA investigation (is one even ongoing?)? Thus far I've not seen any of Wiley's people deny or refute claims they received money, so what's the basis for his reinstatement? Why shouldn't he, or anyone in a similar situation, be permanently ineligible because without that potential consequence, again, where's the incentive to comply with the rules? Once upon a time there was precedent for permanently banishing cheaters, even in instances of seemingly lesser offenses. On the other hand, we are talking about the NCAA and their make the rules/interpret the rules on a day to day, case by case operandi.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

The NCAA ruled him ineligible until the 18/19 season.

To clarify, we declared him ineligible when the infraction came to light, then applied for reinstatement. The NCAA ruled him out the remainder of this season, and he will be reinstated at the conclusion unless further infractions come to light.
I'm confused then. If he's ineligible one year, he's ineligible for his collegiate career. By letting him play next year, looks like he's suspended, not ruled ineligible.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

Well now look. Cam Newton was declared ineligible for 24 hours and then reinstated so I don't see how one year is a problem.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

I'm confused then. If he's ineligible one year, he's ineligible for his collegiate career. By letting him play next year, looks like he's suspended, not ruled ineligible.
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athlete...lly-ineligible-if-i-violated-amateurism-rules

Am I automatically ineligible if I violated the amateurism rules?

No. The NCAA Eligibility Center will review your sports-participation history. If there are violations of NCAA amateurism rules, the NCAA Eligibility Center may certify you with conditions, which must be fulfilled before you are eligible for competition. The conditions will be set based on which rule was violated and the severity of the violation. Such conditions may include repayment of money or sitting out of competition for a specified number of games, or both. In some cases, the NCAA Eligibility Center may determine that the violations are such that permanent ineligibility for competition is the appropriate penalty.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017

Them 2 players will go pro next year and Pearl will be retained JMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.