FBI Probe of College Basketball

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

Do you mean the United States Naval Academy.:) Unlike the goobers at the USMA who may call their school "West Point", midshipmen do not call the USNA, "Annapolis".
As a caveat, it does occasionally happen. It's just not standard terminology.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Supposedly Sankey had called the conference coaches to Birmingham for a meeting yesterday. What I would have given to be a fly on that wall.
Unfortunately, this was a planned meeting. I'm sure the agenda changed some, but Sankey didn't call it because of the investigation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Surprise, surprise. Auburn didn't suspend a single player and looks like they'll keep Pearl. The more things change, the more they stay the same. They said they would wait on the findings of the "Independent" counsel. Lightfoot, Franklin is anything, but independent when it comes to Auburn. Start with the answer and work your way back. I wonder if our old buddy Gene Marsh will be their guys on this one.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

Surprise, surprise. Auburn didn't suspend a single player and looks like they'll keep Pearl. The more things change, the more they stay the same. They said they would wait on the findings of the "Independent" counsel. Lightfoot, Franklin is anything, but independent when it comes to Auburn. Start with the answer and work your way back. I wonder if our old buddy Gene Marsh will be their guys on this one.
I don't know if we are really in a position just yet to be poking at the barn.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

We know there are two players whose parent(s) took money. It would seem those players would, at a minimum, have to be declared ineligible. Past experience would indicate that auburn has connections inside NCAA headquarters and stand a chance of having those players reinstated through some until now unknown loophole.

There was an article in the Montgomery Advertiser this morning quoting the new AU President as saying, to the surprise of no one, they don't believe anyone other than Chuck was involved in this scheme or that anyone else knew anything about it. Reading between the lines; we're going to do all we can to keep Pearl.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...ied-two-unnamed-basketball-players/710848001/

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

We know there are two players whose parent(s) took money. It would seem those players would, at a minimum, have to be declared ineligible. Past experience would indicate that auburn has connections inside NCAA headquarters and stand a chance of having those players reinstated through some until now unknown loophole.

There was an article in the Montgomery Advertiser this morning quoting the new AU President as saying, to the surprise of no one, they don't believe anyone other than Chuck was involved in this scheme or that anyone else knew anything about it. Reading between the lines; we're going to do all we can to keep Pearl.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...ied-two-unnamed-basketball-players/710848001/
Well that ought to tell you they are bringing in another paper tiger like Jacobs as AD. These cats just can't muster up the courage to hire ethical and empowered professionals to run their athletic program.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Pitino is suspended without pay now. Just one step closer to being canned.
I know that it is inevitable, but how is it that he hasn't been fired already? They have recorded evidence. They know what he did.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

I know that it is inevitable, but how is it that he hasn't been fired already? They have recorded evidence. They know what he did.
I think due to University Human Resources policy and stipulations under Pitino's contract, they must suspend (either with or without pay) for ten days before they can fully terminate. I believe it was the same for Jurich.

Pitino, as pointed out in the letter, has ten days to appeal. This is really a formality. He is effectively terminated, as is Jurich.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

So this Louisville-Addidas relationship seems very upstanding.

Louisville to re-evaluate $160M deal with Adidas in wake of scandal

In August, Louisville announced a new 10-year, $160 million extension with Adidas, which paid men's basketball coach Rick Pitino $2.25 million directly last year.
In a letter dated Sept. 27, 2017 and obtained by ESPN.com, Postel admonished Jurich for a lack of communication before the Adidas extension was negotiated.

"In addition, as we've discussed, your recent negotiation of the terms of the updated sponsorship deal with Adidas was conducted without timely or appropriate consultation with me or members of the Board of Directors of the University of Louisville Athletics Association," Postel said in the letter.

On Monday, Postel said, "It would have been nice to know more about the [Adidas] agreement."

ESPN's Darren Rovell confirmed that Jurich's daughter was hired by Adidas as an NCAA brand communications manager earlier this year, before the negotiation of the school's extension with the shoe and apparel giant.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

aub reporters confirm all aubs at basketball practice - 20 minutes later report comes out that Wiley did not practice but was there in a walking boot with an "undisclosed lower leg injury"

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

aub reporters confirm all aubs at basketball practice - 20 minutes later report comes out that Wiley did not practice but was there in a walking boot with an "undisclosed lower leg injury"
I've heard Wiley has a stress fracture in his foot.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I've heard Wiley has a stress fracture in his foot.
Yes he has had problems like that - not good when big young guys start having that type problem. Reminds me of Sam Bowie

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Yes he has had problems like that - not good when big young guys start having that type problem. Reminds me of Sam Bowie
, Greg Oden, Kareem Abdul Jabar, and Walton all had trouble with the feet throughout their careers. It is common with those 7 foot type guys.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.