FBI Probe of College Basketball

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

And Austin Wiley appears to be one of the players Persons shopped...

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

While I shed no tears for Auburn, I need some help with the legalities from some of our legal eagles.

Coaches paying players is without question major NCAA violations, including FTM and LOIC. But how is this a federal question, and why is the FBI involved?

The full weight of the Feds coming down on your head -- subpoena power, threat of perjury, unlimited legal resources, etc., etc. ad infinitum -- will make the NCAA enforcement staff look and feel like Snuffles the teddy bear. But how do they have jurisdiction?

Regardless of my ignorance, they apparently do. And this is on top of the softball team's unrelated Title IX problems.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

As an aside, I wonder what happens to Louisville, who was already on probation.
Since you asked..............

Adidas is going to be adios

The FBI claims Jim Gatto — the Director of Global Marketing for Adidas Basketball — paid hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to funnel top prospects to Adidas sponsored colleges … including Louisville.
Yeah, burn them, as well.

Gatto allegedly tried to bribe one player and his family to choose one of Adidas’ partners, and that suggests that the tactic might have been used with others. According to TMZ, the FBI has wiretaps of these conversations, which means they’ve been looking into this for quite a while. When people start to sing — and they will, believe it — this may well stretch back for years, and perhaps more than one corporation, too. Once bribes start becoming common, it’s tough to believe that only one entity entered the market on that basis without blowing the whistle on it. Of course, that may be exactly how the FBI got involved in the first place.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

This case by itself will have massive effects on college basketball. As I saw one reporter tweet, the idea the FBI might have your cell phone tapped makes you be very careful.

The biggest thing will be if there are more charges coming. How many schools, coaches, and others are going down for this?

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

This case by itself will have massive effects on college basketball. As I saw one reporter tweet, the idea the FBI might have your cell phone tapped makes you be very careful.

The biggest thing will be if there are more charges coming. How many schools, coaches, and others are going down for this?
The best thing for us right now would be for this to blow up across multiple blue blood programs.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

So this is what Pitino originally said when they signed the recruit:

And this is what the investigation turned up:

I hope they fire Pitino and the NCAA strips him of all championships. He’s as dirty as they come..

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas

The best thing for us right now would be for this to blow up across multiple blue blood programs.

Yep, that would be best for y'all, and you might get your wish. This is the tip of the iceberg. If Adidas was doing it, what makes you think it was only them? How and why did the FBI get their camel's nose under the tent?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

Where is PitMaster at?? This is his chance to pile on Bruce Pearl and Austin Wiley's dirty recruitment and he's not here!? He been beating the drum about this for a long time..

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Where is PitMaster at?? This is his chance to pile on Bruce Pearl and Austin Wiley's dirty recruitment and he's not here!? He been beating the drum about this for a long time..
I would be very careful about calling anyone out until more comes to light. I would be wound up tight if we hadn't already been named.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012

I would be very careful about calling anyone out until more comes to light. I would be wound up tight if we hadn't already been named.
Uh, well, it looks like the guilty parties so far are repeat offenders like Pitino, Pearl etc. Not that hard to figure out who else is most likely involved. Since you went there I'd be really surprised if Avery Johnson or an Alabama staffer was involved in this because we weren't signing random 5* recruits from Connecticut during this time period. But sure, speculate away that "every program is doing this" because AU got caught red handed..

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Uh, well, it looks like the guilty parties so far are repeat offenders like Pitino, Pearl etc. Not that hard to figure out who else is most likely involved. Since you went there I'd be really surprised if Avery Johnson or an Alabama staffer was involved in this because we weren't signing random 5* recruits from Connecticut during this time period. But sure, speculate away that "every program is doing this" because AU got caught red handed..
If you don't think we aren't doing similar things, you're wrong. This isn't limited to those in the complaints. My laughter at Persons was quickly replaced with some anxiety about how far the case goes.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL

Louisville basketball boards are in full meltdown.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.