FBI Probe of College Basketball

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: FBI Probe of College Basketball (Breaking - Wade Suspended)

Supposedly, money was passing through their charitable arm to LSU athletes. This includes football players. If it's true, it's a burn everything to the ground allegation.
That would be what my friend from Baton Rouge meant when he tweeted he heard a local DA was looking into a local hospital and school.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

Yeah well ya boy Colin got paid according to testimony from Christian Dawkins in federal court, so be careful where you cast them stones, fella. You’re in the same boat.
Those 'stones' equal established fact. Pearl is a proven/convicted cheater. If Sexton got paid and we had a role in the paying, I've no problem with being punished. But I'm not the one sweating every time a new story emerges about basketball wrongdoing. If we're in the same boat, I'm wearing a life jacket, you're holding the anchor. How long can you hold your breath, fella.

Moving along... it seems like Wade is trying the same tactic employed by Pearl when the initial news broke regarding Person. Considering how that has worked out for Bruce, he probably figured it's worth a try. By not capitulating, apparently the LSU administration has more intestinal fortitude than some other SEC schools.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa

What's the rumor? I did find this wonderful thread.
Well, I would have said that we need to pay them rent for living in their heads.

But they’re facing some serious criminal stuff — not NCAA, the feds are after them for felonies — and most of what they talk about is us.

Point being, we don’t have to pay rent for living their heads....because we already own their heads.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Chuck Persons is changing his plea to guilty. Hearing is scheduled for Tuesday.

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham

Chuck Persons is changing his plea to guilty. Hearing is scheduled for Tuesday.
Not near the razing I thought would happen. We all know college basketball is dirty, I guess I didn’t know how well it was hidden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017

Is it possible we could say bye bye to 2 SEC coach,s Wade and possibly Pearl.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

Is it possible we could say bye bye to 2 SEC coach,s Wade and possibly Pearl.
Why Pearl? Wade is gone and Kennedy are gone so there are 2 SEC coaches. I doubt Vandy will get rid of Bryce Drew since this is only his 2nd year there so I think he is safe one more year but definitely on the hotseat next year. Unless he leaves on his on I would say it's 50-50 whether CAJ will be back or not next year. Everyone else should be safe.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Why Pearl? Wade is gone and Kennedy are gone so there are 2 SEC coaches. I doubt Vandy will get rid of Bryce Drew since this is only his 2nd year there so I think he is safe one more year but definitely on the hotseat next year. Unless he leaves on his on I would say it's 50-50 whether CAJ will be back or not next year. Everyone else should be safe.
Pearl lawyered up immediately and would not speak with either his school or anyone else. Someone criticized LSU's will Wade for not coming clean to his school when their coach won't even talk to his own employer. When all is said and done, Pearl nor Auburn will likely have any issues. They do what they always do, if you can prove it, it didn't happen and Pearl isn't talking unless there he is a subpoenaed. if he isn't subpoenaed, I'd say there is no direct evidence of his involvement. Were there NCAA issues for him and Auburn? We'll probably never know.

There is no doubt of his coaching ability though. He took a moribund program and turned it into a winner while we are wondering in the wilderness trying to figure out how to be relevant.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn

For those who've touted Auburn's hiring of Pearl as being one of brilliance because he's won some basketball games, I'll just leave this here as a reminder of who/what he is:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ayfDoM-iiHT4HX_v_lv81U5gp-e6d2H6yqqcFlvuuPlUo
Pearl always has been and always will be a trashy arrogant cheater. So he is at the perfect school in my opinion. I am thankful he has nothing to do with Bama and never will.

Last edited:

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

Hilarious.
Actually, it's more along the line of sad... but whatever.

On a serious note, Pearl is really good at the X's and O's, he can recruit, and he certainly doesn't lack for confidence. He had the ideal situation at UT, been to the elite 8, recruiting at a high level, Thompson-Boling full of adoring fans, making all kinds of money. So, what is it about his makeup that causes him to feel like he has to break the rules in order to win, when in reality he doesn't?[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif] That is the disappointing aspect of the whole thing.[/FONT]

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Actually, it's more along the line of sad... but whatever.

On a serious note, Pearl is really good at the X's and O's, he can recruit, and he certainly doesn't lack for confidence. He had the ideal situation at UT, been to the elite 8, recruiting at a high level, Thompson-Boling full of adoring fans, making all kinds of money. So, what is it about his makeup that causes him to feel like he has to break the rules in order to win, when in reality he doesn't? That is the disappointing aspect of the whole thing.
I’ll never be one to minimize what he did. It was a royal screw-up. He lied to his bosses, to his fans and, most importantly, to the NCAA. He turned a minor recruiting violation into a storm that cost him years in the profession, his dream job and almost his entire career. But he paid hard for that transgression. And it’s really the only thing one could characterize as “cheating.”

The others mentioned in the article were a run in with the coaching fraternity, breaking the Omertà of the profession, that saw him blackballed and forced into the lower divisions before he could jump back to D1. Folks from some coaching trees refuse to work with him to this day as a result.

Using the recent assistant coaches is just proof that a point wanted to be made by the author and she was willing to craft the evidence to fit it.

To characterize him as “symbolizing the rot” is right out, especially when guys who have done far worse are still employed. Look no further than the coach we ran off the floor last night for an example. Can’t wait for her hit piece on them.

Oh, wait. She wrote it 3 days ago.

Opinion: North Carolina has a freshmen duo that is phenomenal, too
Ouch. Scalding.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

I’ll never be one to minimize what he did. It was a royal screw-up. He lied to his bosses, to his fans and, most importantly, to the NCAA. He turned a minor recruiting violation into a storm that cost him years in the profession, his dream job and almost his entire career. But he paid hard for that transgression. And it’s really the only thing one could characterize as “cheating.”

The others mentioned in the article were a run in with the coaching fraternity, breaking the Omertà of the profession, that saw him blackballed and forced into the lower divisions before he could jump back to D1. Folks from some coaching trees refuse to work with him to this day as a result.

Using the recent assistant coaches is just proof that a point wanted to be made by the author and she was willing to craft the evidence to fit it.

To characterize him as “symbolizing the rot” is right out, especially when guys who have done far worse are still employed. Look no further than the coach we ran off the floor last night for an example. Can’t wait for her hit piece on them.

Oh, wait. She wrote it 3 days ago.

Ouch. Scalding.
I understand a fan's perspective that he's your coach and you're going to stand by him and the sentiment that others have done as bad or worse seemingly with impunity.

I also understand a desire for redemption, especially from a fan.

However, Pearle brought the criticism on himself and so did AU by hiring him with an active show-cause.

The fact that several assistants have been caught is not crafting evidence, it is using the evidence available. There is a chasm of difference.

There's no questioning if the man can coach - he can; but let's remember that your school and coach brought criticism on themselves before we play victim.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.