FBI Probe of College Basketball

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: FBI Probe of College Basketball Players, Coaches, and NBA Agents

Verdict was just announced. Guilty on all counts.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

I must have not been following along as closely as I should have. Appears the government's case was based on the notion the schools were the victims in all of this. Having a hard time understanding that, but the jury took it.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL

jashleyren2

1st Team
Aug 27, 2018

It's a mockery of the word "amateurism" to even think that these highly valued high school prospects are not being paid to attend a uni. The One and Done rule that the NBA wanted is proof that everyone knows it, and some of these kids just need to go on to the pros, and get paid for real. Heck, why stop at that? Why not allow a "kid" to skip his senior year of high school and go straight to NBA developmental league at age 17? College basketball is a different animal than college football, in that the skills necessary to compete in the NBA, while needing refinement, are already there at a young age, as soon as the young man has grown physically. Sure, there's the mental immaturity aspect, but when did the professional ranks give a crap about that, for a can't miss prospect in any sport?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

April college hoops corruption trial could open window to significant revelations

The last graph of the article really stuck out to me for some reason:

Three assistant coaches tied to this case have already pled guilty – Lamont Evans (South Carolina and Oklahoma State), Tony Bland (USC) and Emanuel “Book” Richardson (Arizona). They are all believed to have agreed to non-cooperation deals, which means they are not under obligation to testify for the government.
Usually, you plead guilty in hopes of getting lesser penalties. Only way to get that, though, is to cooperate. Wonder why they wouldn't cooperate?

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

Usually, you plead guilty in hopes of getting lesser penalties. Only way to get that, though, is to cooperate. Wonder why they wouldn't cooperate?
My guess - their financial future is tied to their silence. This is white collar crime. There is no real concern about a life altering prison sentence. The only way that they can help themselves now is by remaining loyal to those who will help them financially in the future.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.