FBI Probe of College Basketball

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

Hey AUDub what about the new AD and does any Auburn player leave early go pro.
I like the new AD hire. Seems a bit outside of our comfort zone, but that’s a good thing.

Wiley will probably go if he grades 1st round. Last I saw, he was around 27ish.

Surprised Danjel wasn’t gone yesterday. Guy is in his third year.

Heron might go.

Other than that, we probably retain everybody.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

Without knowing more about the nature of those other schools’ internal probes, you can’t really make that comparison.

This isn't just a basketball case anymore. It’s a corruption case.

And we don’t have anyone from New York on the roster. In fact, the two players currently riding the pine for their transgressions are both from Alabama.
I know you see things thru orange and blue glasses, and yes this is a corruption case, but NO other coach has refused to cooperate. If you or I were to tell our employers that we would not cooperate with an internal investigation of any kind much less a FBI/DOJ investigation, we'd be fired on the spot. Auburn has let this go on far too long without addressing this at all. Your own university president said if he didn't cooperate he'd fire him. What do we have? Crickets so far.

I do applaud Auburn for hiring what appears to be very good choice for AD. They have needed an outside voice for years as Alabama did prior to hiring Byrne. Maybe this will break up the Pat Dye gang and Lowder along with Raine can quit dictating what the Athletic department does and doesn't do..

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017

I saw a poster on TI that CBP is expected to talk to AD Monday.

AUDub

Hall of Fame
Dec 4, 2013
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

I know you see things thru orange and blue glasses, and yes this is a corruption case, but NO other coach has refused to cooperate.
And again, without knowing the nature of those schools internal investigations, you can’t really make that comparison. What is the nature of the questions being asked? Until you can answer that question, you can’t make that comparison.

If you or I were to tell our employers that we would not cooperate with an internal investigation of any kind much less a FBI/DOJ investigation, we'd be fired on the spot.
This is an interesting situation. On the one hand you have a federal investigation going on. Pearl has a personal attorney and the advice of his attorney is that he doesn't speak to anyone on this matter until the FBI investigation is done.

On the other hand, Auburn is doing an internal investigation more geared toward NCAA bylaws and such. So they want Pearl and his assistants to talk to them on the matter. If you're in Pearl's position, do you listen to the advice of your attorney or do you obey the wishes of your employer?

What needs to happen here is for Auburn to cool its jets a little. Ultimatums and leaking stuff to the press is more of a petty power contest than it is anything designed to do what's best for Auburn. Pearl will talk eventually, and it is understandable why an attorney would tell his client not to say anything until the feds are done.

Auburn has let this go on far too long without addressing this at all. Your own university president said if he didn't cooperate he'd fire him. What do we have? Crickets so far.
Pearl and Leath are both stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place. As the President of the university, he needs as much information as he can get to make an informed decision after the Person debacle, and he expects his employees to help him in the investigation. Pearl has been informed by his lawyers not to talk possibly because by talking he might be interfering with an FBI investigation, even if unaware of what Person was doing.

All we can do is wait and see how things play out. The sad part is the longer we wait the more rumors that will be floated.
I do applaud Auburn for hiring what appears to be very good choice for AD. They have needed an outside voice for years as Alabama did prior to hiring Byrne. Maybe this will break up the Pat Dye gang and Lowder along with Raine can quit dictating what the Athletic department does and doesn't do..
This has Rich McGlynn written all over it, not Dye and his cronies.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017

I don't look for anything to happen until season is over.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

Potentially, or eventually, Pearl has to decide what he wants more: to keep his job or to lose it. He's obviously being insubordinate by refusing a direct order from superiors to speak with the Auburn internal investigators - grounds for dismissal. It would seem the new President has made a dismissal much easier by hiring a new AD this quickly and removing Jacobs as a layer of protection for Pearl. It enables Greene to be able to make that move and do it from the viewpoint of a nonpartisan. Pearl should see what's coming and the proverbial writing on the wall. If he continues to heed the advice of his attorney, he should likewise be talking to his agent about finding his next coaching location. He can't continue to have it both ways because someone, Pearl or Auburn, is likely to end up with egg on their face and I doubt the President and AD want that to be Auburn. It will be an unpopular decision with AU basketball fans but that is how Pearl's ouster will be validated. Anything less establishes a precedent that is difficult to walk back.

On the other had, winning basketball games may be more important than integrity - of at least the head coach - and the status quo remains intact. Welcome to the wonderfully wacky world of Auburn athletics Mr. Greene, it's a near impossible situation to resolve where everyone wins.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

And again, without knowing the nature of those schools internal investigations, you can’t really make that comparison. What is the nature of the questions being asked? Until you can answer that question, you can’t make that comparison.

This is an interesting situation. On the one hand you have a federal investigation going on. Pearl has a personal attorney and the advice of his attorney is that he doesn't speak to anyone on this matter until the FBI investigation is done.

On the other hand, Auburn is doing an internal investigation more geared toward NCAA bylaws and such. So they want Pearl and his assistants to talk to them on the matter. If you're in Pearl's position, do you listen to the advice of your attorney or do you obey the wishes of your employer?

What needs to happen here is for Auburn to cool its jets a little. Ultimatums and leaking stuff to the press is more of a petty power contest than it is anything designed to do what's best for Auburn. Pearl will talk eventually, and it is understandable why an attorney would tell his client not to say anything until the feds are done.

Pearl and Leath are both stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place. As the President of the university, he needs as much information as he can get to make an informed decision after the Person debacle, and he expects his employees to help him in the investigation. Pearl has been informed by his lawyers not to talk possibly because by talking he might be interfering with an FBI investigation, even if unaware of what Person was doing.

All we can do is wait and see how things play out. The sad part is the longer we wait the more rumors that will be floated.

This has Rich McGlynn written all over it, not Dye and his cronies.
Listen I know you are loyal to your school and I understand that, but if you look at your arguments, they are made thru the lens of someone who wants Auburn to lily white which is not the case, at least in this case. This is a clear case of an employee not doing what his employer requires of him. Period. I understand not speaking to the FBI without a lawyer present. I think it is likely there will be a lot of taking the 5th or he would have no reason not to cooperate. No talking to the FBI is one thing, your own school/employer is something else entirely. We simply will have to agree to disagree. It is silly to have this back and forth when neither of us will be convinced of the others position. In the end Auburn will do what Auburn does whether either of us think it is right or not.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017

If Pearl does not lose his job could he be suspended which that is not likely just a thought.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Listen I know you are loyal to your school and I understand that, but if you look at your arguments, they are made thru the lens of someone who wants Auburn to lily white which is not the case, at least in this case. This is a clear case of an employee not doing what his employer requires of him. Period. I understand not speaking to the FBI without a lawyer present. I think it is likely there will be a lot of taking the 5th or he would have no reason not to cooperate. No talking to the FBI is one thing, your own school/employer is something else entirely. We simply will have to agree to disagree. It is silly to have this back and forth when neither of us will be convinced of the others position. In the end Auburn will do what Auburn does whether either of us think it is right or not.
I think that Pearl would be an idiot to speak to anyone about this. Possible prison sentences await those found guilty, not NCAA sanctions.

As for Auburn, they have to decide whether or not they are willing to risk not knowing what Pearl might or might not have done. His refusal to talk to them makes sense, since those discussions would not be protected. IMO, his refusal to talk to anyone with this as his rationale, even at Auburn, somewhat protects the school. They can continue to claim that they have no idea what he might have done.

Whatever damage can be done already has been done. They are just kicking the whole thing down the road. I suspect that the NCAA will do nothing about this stuff, and that very few criminal charges will actually be filed.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

My point is the school has to take the initiative or what happens when another coach has commited violations? You just lawyer up and keep your job? Name me a job in America outside of politics where that is allowed. This is not a good precedent to set by an academic institution who has any ethical standards.

In this case, use logic, why not talk unless there is more than just the Wiley and Purifoy situation? I suspect there is more out there that neither Auburn or Pearl want out in the open. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. Pearl knows he will be radioactive in the coaching community if he has committed more NCAA violations so he wants any possible additional violations kept quiet. Meanwhile, he hopes winning will keep Auburn from firing him.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

My point is the school has to take the initiative or what happens when another coach has commited violations? You just lawyer up and keep your job? Name me a job in America outside of politics where that is allowed. This is not a good precedent to set by an academic institution who has any ethical standards.

In this case, use logic, why not talk unless there is more than just the Wiley and Purifoy situation? I suspect there is more out there that neither Auburn or Pearl want out in the open. If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear. Pearl knows he will be radioactive in the coaching community if he has committed more NCAA violations so he wants any possible additional violations kept quiet. Meanwhile, he hopes winning will keep Auburn from firing him.
I see this as a totally different discussion, and I agree with you. Auburn made it clear where they stand when they hired Pearl - a coach who was fired by TN for lying to the NCAA. They are willing to roll the dice with the NCAA for a chance to win. I would have been disgusted if OSU had made this hire.

But that has nothing to do with Pearl's decision to keep his mouth shut. Far better to be fired than risk prison. And since Auburn already rolled the dice when they hired Pearl, is this any worse? Everyone knows where they stand on these issues - it didn't happen unless the NCAA can prove it.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006

The comment that "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" is not true when you are dealing with the fbi.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

The comment that "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" is not true when you are dealing with the fbi.
Perhaps, I should have said nothing criminal to hide. In this case, NCAA violations and criminal may be one and the same. I wonder how many recruits on AU's team were recruited by Persons. If he was willing to buy players before, why would he have acted differently with previous recruits? How many players would be or, if the truth be know, are ineligible now? I wonder what Persons has told the FBI as well. The real question is why AU hasn't acted on Pearl. He is sort of in limbo. His school hasn't made a statement in support of him even though he is winning, and reportedly the new AD was told to be prepared to hire and a new basketball coach. Interesting situation to say the least.

mlingerfelt31

All-SEC
Mar 9, 2017

If the new AD hires a new basketball coach could he bring the one from Buffalo.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.