FBI Probe of College Basketball

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I'm more worried about us. I know the Sexton issue was supposedly handled correctly but until all of this is behind us I'm still concerned that we're going to get dinged somehow. The issue with the basketball assistant coach (had UT connections, makes you wonder...) and the booster in the 90's was also handled correctly but yet the NCAA still punished us and as I recall that was the bridge between the Langham and Mean's situations that the NCAA used to punish us way more severely than they should have.
We should be fine ... crazier things have happened tho. I honestly don't think we will be in the crosshairs. The word is CP will be the one to fall on the sword so to speak for the Barn so we will see.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
TIFWIW, but AU dub fails to mention that Auburn was specifically mentioned in the article 2 times as having met the criteria for the NCAA Notice of Allegations. It means absolutely nothing at this point unless the NCAA actually does issue any NOA's. I would not bet on it. It also states the at head coaches are responsible whether they are proven to have knowledge of the violations or not.

The question really is does the NCAA have the intestinal fortitude to take meaningful action against violators regardless of their pedigree? It would be sort of "biting the hand that feeds you" and the NCAA has proven time and again that basketball is the holiest of cows. I suspect it will be all talk and no real action. These articles stating the NCAA is about to lower the hammer have mostly proven to be a worthless waste of space.

I heard on the radio that the 4 schools with assistant coaches arrested are almost certain to get a NOA which would include Auburn.

Last edited:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Maybe?

Head says no. The allegations against us are very different from those caught up in the recruiting scandal and should have already been handled with the suspensions Danjel and Austin served.

I think the worst case scenario for us is wins vacated retroactively from the 16-17 season.
With Bruce Pearl's history, you are a bit too optimistic... :cool2:

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
We should be fine ... crazier things have happened tho. I honestly don't think we will be in the crosshairs. The word is CP will be the one to fall on the sword so to speak for the Barn so we will see.
He will be well rewarded for doing so...SOP down there. :cool2:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
TIFWIW, but AU dub fails to mention that Auburn was specifically mentioned in the article 2 times as having met the criteria for the NCAA Notice of Allegations. It means absolutely nothing at this point unless the NCAA actually does issue any NOA's. I would not bet on it. It also states the at head coaches are responsible whether they are proven to have knowledge of the violations or not.

The question really is does the NCAA have the intestinal fortitude to take meaningful action against violators regardless of their pedigree? It would be sort of "biting the hand that feeds you" and the NCAA has proven time and again that basketball is the holiest of cows. I suspect it will be all talk and no real action. These articles stating the NCAA is about to lower the hammer have mostly proven to be a worthless waste of space.

I heard on the radio that the 4 schools with assistant coaches arrested are almost certain to get a NOA which would include Auburn.
Heard something very similar on a sports talk station this week up in Philadelphia area. One of the national guys that covers college basketball (don't recall who it was). He specifically mentioned that "LSU, Auburn, Arizona, NC State among others should be concerned.".

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa
Heard something very similar on a sports talk station this week up in Philadelphia area. One of the national guys that covers college basketball (don't recall who it was). He specifically mentioned that "LSU, Auburn, Arizona, NC State among others should be concerned.".
Lets take the Auburn case 1st. Pearl has not cooperated with Auburn, the NCAA, or the FBI. All indications are Persons will be the scapegoat legally, but the NCAA issue is another matter. Anyone who thinks Persons was doing this without the head coaches knowledge is being naive or just doesn't want to know the truth. Regardless of whether he knew or not, the NCAA has stated that HEAD coaches are responsible for their assistants actions. Pearls history with the NCAA would seem to be bad news for him. But so far the reality is much different for Bruce "I take the 5th" Pearl, he has managed to not only keep his job, but get a big raise as well. Does the NCAA slap another Pearl with another show cause order?
The LSU case seems much more straight forward as supposedly there are tapes with Wade making strong offers to recruits. It is hard to argue with a tape, but can the FBI or NCAA find the money? The money trail may well be the determining factor in Wade keeping his job and not facing a show cause order.

It will be interesting to see what if any actions come as the result of all this. The NCAA has a history of backing down when it a school shows up with lawyers. As the old philosopher said "We shall see".

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Lets take the Auburn case 1st. Pearl has not cooperated with Auburn, the NCAA, or the FBI. All indications are Persons will be the scapegoat legally, but the NCAA issue is another matter. Anyone who thinks Persons was doing this without the head coaches knowledge is being naive or just doesn't want to know the truth. Regardless of whether he knew or not, the NCAA has stated that HEAD coaches are responsible for their assistants actions. Pearls history with the NCAA would seem to be bad news for him. But so far the reality is much different for Bruce "I take the 5th" Pearl, he has managed to not only keep his job, but get a big raise as well. Does the NCAA slap another Pearl with another show cause order?
The LSU case seems much more straight forward as supposedly there are tapes with Wade making strong offers to recruits. It is hard to argue with a tape, but can the FBI or NCAA find the money? The money trail may well be the determining factor in Wade keeping his job and not facing a show cause order.

It will be interesting to see what if any actions come as the result of all this. The NCAA has a history of backing down when it a school shows up with lawyers. As the old philosopher said "We shall see".
If that is true, then they would certainly be motivated to scrutinize awbern that much more...:eek2:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

Read Auburn's 'victim impact statement' in Chuck Person case

As a result of Person’s misconduct, Auburn expects to receive a formal Notice of Allegations from the NCAA in the coming months. While Auburn believes the NCAA investigation to date has only confirmed that any staff misconduct was isolated to Person – and that his misconduct was committed in a way so as to avoid Auburn’s detection – the University will still have to navigate the enforcement process to an ultimate conclusion, a process that may drag into yet another basketball season. Despite the fact that the NCAA has already imposed what Auburn believes are sufficient penalties for those student-athletes affected by Person’s misbehavior, the possibility exists that Auburn’s athletics department and/or men’s basketball team could face further sanction and penalties from the NCAA’s Committee on Infractions.
I doubt they find anything more than the FBI did ... but looks like they may receive some type of sanctions.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010

Read Auburn's 'victim impact statement' in Chuck Person case

I doubt they find anything more than the FBI did ... but looks like they may receive some type of sanctions.
If Pat Dye was involved in any way, they will find nothing more than that. He earns his money in a VERY big way down there... :cool2:

"Auburn equally and immediately retained outside counsel experienced in both internal investigations and NCAA compliance to investigate the men’s basketball program and to ensure that misconduct of any sort – criminal or NCAA-related – was uncovered and addressed. Auburn additionally worked hand-in-hand with the NCAA enforcement staff to ensure its own, internal efforts were comprehensive and complete."

They don't look for stuff to share, they look for stuff to cover up. Awbern has set the standard for "lawyering up"...

Last edited:

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
This took place on Pearl's watch. A guy that had a "show cause" from his shenanigans at Tennessee. And Person was an assistant coach hired by one Bruce Pearl. Auburn and Pearl want to play victim in this?

And of course the good people down there on the "delusional little village on the plains" chose to whistle past the graveyard hoping no one asks or finds out about the self imposed sanctions.

Bruce Pearl is so slimy that when he swims in the ocean, eels jump out of the water and head for the beach out of fear they might touch him.

Last edited:

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
This took place on Pearl's watch. A guy that had a "show cause" from his shenanigans at Tennessee. And Person was an assistant coach hired by one Bruce Pearl. Auburn and Pearl want to play victim in this?

And of course the good people down there on the "delusional little village on the plains" chose to whistle past the graveyard hoping no asks or finds out about the self imposed sanctions.

Bruce Pearl is so slimy that when he swims in the ocean, eels jump out of the water and head for the beach out of fear they might touch him.
Yeah Yeah but the fambaliee made the final four so that is all that matters.

Rama Jama

All-American
Jan 4, 2011
Tuscaloosa

And of course the good people down there on the "delusional little village on the plains" chose to whistle past the graveyard hoping no one asks or finds out about the self imposed sanctions.

I think they have assured recruits that the NCAA is going to accept their "self Imposed" sanctions. They seem to be recruiting well for the time being, but if there are more sanctions and a NOA, it will be short lived.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
So what program has Pearl coached that HASN'T had NCAA Rule Violations...? :cool2:
Tread lightly when discussing Pearl's seedier side and past transgressions lest you want a thorough lashing from our AU visitor. He seems a bit sensitive about that. ;)

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Tread lightly when discussing Pearl's seedier side and past transgressions lest you want a thorough lashing from our AU visitor. He seems a bit sensitive about that. ;)
Facts are facts... :biggrin2:

The NTYF doesn't scare me... :cool2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.