FBI Probe of College Basketball

TiderinAZ

1st Team
Sep 20, 2015
Carefree, AZ
Re: NBC News: Several NCAA Assistant Coaches Arrested by FBI

Didn’t we fire an assistant earlier this year? I don’t remember ever hearing a reason for the dismissal. Anyone remember who is was?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

Didn’t we fire an assistant earlier this year? I don’t remember ever hearing a reason for the dismissal. Anyone remember who is was?
Bob Simon. He's been bitter at UA ever since. Even retweeted a tweet wondering if Alabama would get in trouble because of Sexton and Petty.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

So far the only major repercussions have been at Louisville. We're seeing players practicing, head coaches and ADs keeping their job.

Imagine all the frantic activity behind the scenes, the FBI is doing their job, the media is trying to dig up information, the NCAA by now obviously has to be poking their noses into things, and the schools have to be trying to unravel what is going on. That's not even talking about how things must be at the shoe companies.

The NCAA often moves slowly, but we're talking about the eligibility of a lot of blue chip players potentially up in the air with only a month to go until the season starts...

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

New York grand jury looking for NCAA violations by OSU basketball players

Oklahoma State University has received a subpoena from a New York grand jury asking for all documents and communications regarding "actual or potential NCAA rules violations" by players and coaches of the men's basketball team, The Oklahoman has learned.

The subpoena is linked to a college basketball bribery investigation that earlier led to the arrest of fired OSU assistant basketball coach Lamont Evans and some assistant coaches for other teams.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

TIFWIW, but a friend close to the basketball program said there is a recording between the apparel guy and the agent where a payment was in place for Sexton's dad but the feds can not find the trail where the $ got to him. We are in the clear and Sexton will be eligible.
That's still a dangerous game to play...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville

TIFWIW, but a friend close to the basketball program said there is a recording between the apparel guy and the agent where a payment was in place for Sexton's dad but the feds can not find the trail where the $ got to him. We are in the clear and Sexton will be eligible.
If that's the truth, I don't like us playing Sexton. Forget the FBI. The NCAA doesn't require evidence. While they prefer it, they don't have to have it.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

If that's the truth, I don't like us playing Sexton. Forget the FBI. The NCAA doesn't require evidence. While they prefer it, they don't have to have it.
Exactly. Alabama might have a legitimate defense on the matter, that there is no paper trail. This doesn't seem anywhere near as dirty as the Cam Newton situation, where it was all about finding the bag man, and established fact he was shopped. Here the question is if the family was even willing to accept payment. The problem with this defense though, at least as I currently understand it, is not that the family necessarily refused payment. Not that the FBI is saying that there's proof he didn't take the money, but rather they can't find proof he did. That's a big, big difference!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Exactly. Alabama might have a legitimate defense on the matter, that there is no paper trail. This doesn't seem anywhere near as dirty as the Cam Newton situation, where it was all about finding the bag man, and established fact he was shopped. Here the question is if the family was even willing to accept payment. The problem with this defense though, at least as I currently understand it, is not that the family necessarily refused payment. Not that the FBI is saying that there's proof he didn't take the money, but rather they can't find proof he did. That's a big, big difference!
It is a less serious SCam situation. Cam's dad admitted he was offered $180,000 but the NCAA could not verify or find a paper trail. This is not the case with the Sexton's. I heard the $ amount they had planned for was much less than SCam's amount. Again, don't know the accuracy and TIFWIW.

PitMaster

Suspended
Aug 24, 2015

I am holding my breath - sucks that we look to finally be poised for a good run, and all this stuff breaks

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007

I am holding my breath - sucks that we look to finally be poised for a good run, and all this stuff breaks
That depends on whether we owe our position to someone in or close to the program who broke the rules. The fact that we're being told the feds can't find a canceled check with the signature of Sexton's dad should be of little solace to any of us.

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

Sounds to me we got Sexton legitimately than the agent paid one of our staffers trying to steer him to his agency.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007

That depends on whether we owe our position to someone in or close to the program who broke the rules. The fact that we're being told the feds can't find a canceled check with the signature of Sexton's dad should be of little solace to any of us.
It doesn't appear at this time that Baker's transgressions had anything to do with recruiting. As Mystical said the transgression seems to be steering players to an particular agent. It was for personal gain, not institutional gain.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.